• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What to fly... Advice?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So... what's good about helos (again, not helo-bashing, I mean the question as is)? I've gotten a lot of info being at Whiting, but from those who have been around awhile: any thoughts? What are the chances of firing weapons (the gouge is the Navy's trying to make helos more combat-able)?

It's all relative depending on where you're deployed and which community for helos. There's no doubt that the TacAir guys had put more ordnance on target than any other Navy asset, so I'm not trying to argue that point, but some helo communities have more or less likelyhood to actually shoot than others.

Ironically, among HSL, guys doing CD Ops shoot more (from a crew served weapon, anyway) than guys in the middle of OIF. A frustrating statistic. Historically, HC/HSC doesn't do much w/ shooting because they don't have much to shoot with (yes, I know they did shoot, it's not a slam, just not their primary mission). Obviously that's changing w/ the upgrades and the Sierra. Then there's HS, which tends to do more overland missions now (w/out a big red cross on them), so it could be said they have the most opportunity to shoot, but I don't know if that's actually true.

As for "what's good about helos," the biggest thing is that they're a blast to fly. Better than a jet? Maybe. Personally I'd rather fly helos. I think flying Jets would be a lot of fun, but I don't really have a desire to fight a jet. Also, the missions for helos can be varied, which makes it more interesting to me. ASW today, SSC tomorrow. Gunnex next week.

I'd keep asking questions here to help refine your incoming info.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Really short and hopefully sweet:

When you think of Naval Aviation, which bird comes to your mind first???

Put that down as first choice ....

The rest?? They are all good. You will like whatever you fly for the Navy. Lifestyle in Navy and life after the Navy all play a part in those choices.

The first choice, however, tells a lot about who you are and why you originally wanted to fly with the best .... :)

Rg9

pilot
I do not know if it is still this way, but when I was in primary we did not have a single jet guy in the whole squadron.
I've only flown with one jet IP. He's gone now, but was one of the best instructors in the squadron (VT-2). It's mostly P-3 and helo guys (with an E-6 guy here and there). I understand why it works out that way, but it's somewhat unfortunate we don't have more tailhook exposure before selection.

Rg9

pilot
Gatordev, regarding the overland missions for HS, how frequent does that happen? Is it a "we need to train how to fly over land so lets go knock out a few hours of it" or "the Air Force base needs some more HD TV's, so let's get that to them quick" or "bad guys are shooting at Marines, let's go kill them" kind of mission? Maybe all? The diversity of the helo mission really appeals to me, so that's a plus there.

Regarding all the communities, can those with personal experience speak to the specifics of deployment cycles (i.e., how long were you gone from home, etc.)? Again, I expect to be gone, but family is a priority of mine and I can't just throw that out of the equation.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've only flown with one jet IP. He's gone now, but was one of the best instructors in the squadron (VT-2). It's mostly P-3 and helo guys (with an E-6 guy here and there). I understand why it works out that way, but it's somewhat unfortunate we don't have more tailhook exposure before selection.

There are more on the way, but I know that doesn't necessarily help you. Apparently there's something like 6 more Marine jet guys coming in the next few months. Some have already started in the FITU.

regarding the overland missions for HS, how frequent does that happen?

I'm not a HS guy, so I'll leave the info to them, but it's my understanding that it's a fairly common thing during a deployment to have a beach det w/ the rest of the squadron on the boat. They would rotate guys through the beach det. Not sure how much of that is still going on, but I'd guess it is.

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
I'm not really qualified to offer advice, but that hasn't stopped anyone else...

It really comes down to which airplane sounds coolest and which one has the best air conditioning. Jets sound totally sweet, and I heard that hornets have really good A/C, so guess what was first on larry's selection list. Does your pulse go up when a helo flies over? How about a P-3? 707? A jet?

So... sound, adrenaline, and air conditioning.

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
RetreadRand said:
Actually...the E-6 is a pretty badass looking plane...especially with those HUGE CFM-56s mounted to them...I love the way that plane looks...

Hey, fat chicks aren't for everyone.

RetreadRand said:
And has the BEST AIR CONDITIONING of any bird in the fleet

That is debatable. Correct me if I'm wrong, folks, but doesn't the hornet have an A/C vent right between your legs pointed precisely where it's needed most? I hope it does, because that's why I signed up.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
......doesn't the hornet have an A/C vent right between your legs pointed precisely where it's needed most? I hope it does.....
Ahhhhh ... the innocence of youth. It ain't about "cool" ... it's about "smoooooooth" ... :)

And .... in your scenario .... what are you gonna do when the A/C runs away "FULL HOT"??? :eek::eek::eek:

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Two words: eject
Ooooops. That's wrong .... like the man said ... that's one word.

And, to use your "yardstick" ... I would have ejected 2-3 times just for hot testicles, i.e., runaway full hot A/C in the A-4/A-6 ... i.e., I don't think so .... :)