• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What should I wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFisher

Cessna 152 Ace
Hey guys
Ive got my NROTC Scholarship officer interview tomorrow morning at 10:00. Should I wear shirt and tie or just a polo shirt or something?

So nervous!
boggled_125.gif

Anything specific I should be prepared for?
blindfold_125.gif
?

Thanks all!
goldfish_125.gif

Dickwest83

For the interview, it's best to err on the side of being over-dressed. When I had my interview, I wore khaki pants, an oxford shirt, tie, and a blazer. I was the only one there at the time, so I have no idea what others wear. As far as the interview itself goes, just be calm and confident. They'll prob ask you about your academics, athletic/eca involvement, and of course, why you're interested in the Navy. When I interviewed, it was in October 2001. The only "curveball" I got was the LT asked if I was Pres Bush, how would I have reacted differently to the Sept 11 attacks. That definitely put me on the spot, but it really wasn't that high pressure. GOOD LUCK!

el_bastardo

Just USMC OCS experience kicking in.

The word of the day should be "Immaculate." You are making a first impression to an organization that you obviously care a lot about. As such:

Make sure your shoes are well shined, trousers firmly creased, nice belt, shirt neatly pressed, tie's good to go, clean shaven, no nose hairs or unibrow, and a well kept haircut. Walk in there with confidence and Motivation. Confidence is the key. Look him in the eye, and let him know with your body language that you would like to kick some ass for the Navy/Marines.

And don't say Um. Other interview skills still apply.

BFisher

Cessna 152 Ace
Ok. Shirt clean, pants perfect, tie tied, shoes shined, hair cut, belt shining, face like a baby's bum and confidence through the roof. Im ready to go! :)

BFisher

Cessna 152 Ace
So I walk in the Barnes Building in Boston and the security guard at the front door took my ID and gave me a visitors pass. I asked him what time it was so I could sign in and he said something rather rude... but I diddn't get mad - only more nervous! After that confidence breaking first impression I took a trip to the bathroom, then started that long, slow, lonely walk down the big wide corridor. I got to the NROTC recruiting office and opened the door. It was not like the normal offices you see where you walk down another little corridor to other doors… the main door led right into a big room. So as I walked in, two ensigns and a lt. stopped what they were doing and stared at me. One long, awkward second later my NROTC recruiter said “Heyyyy! Brad, right?” “Yes Sir” I replied. He brought me to his desk to gather up the files and led me upstairs. We discussed the patriots and the poor red sox on the way to the interview room. He was a really nice guy. A real young looking ensign.

Once in there he had me sign the drug statement and I gave him my signed statement of understanding and transcripts. He started by asking “So Brad, why did you choose NROTC?”. I asked if he just wanted ROTC or the military in general. He said whatever is fine. So I said something along the lines of…

“I have had a deep appreciation for the members of our armed serves for as long as I can remember. It is an amazing thing for someone to devote part of their life, and in some cases their entire life and career, and to be willing to put themselves in harms way and even die protecting the rights and freedoms that many Americans take for granted. It would be an honor for me to serve my country by joining the military and a greater honor for me to serve the military by becoming an officer. I have nothing but respect for those who are enlisted and to have the opportunity to lead them and help them achieve their goals would be an amazing thing. I want to help make the Navy a better place for today’s enlisted and officers – and for those who will be enlisted a hundred years from now.. that’s my goal..”

…Or something like that. It was off the top of my head and as always, it sounded better out-loud than on paper. He then asked about my choice for ROTC and I reinforced wanting to become an officer and the excellent training, benefits and education I would get from ROTC. Then he asked me about what a day in my life is like. He also asked what I wanted to do in the navy. Hmmm…. Lastly he asked about what my most valued accomplishment is and how I lead in my extra curricular activities.

Afterwards we walked back down to the recruiting office and I took the strong interest inventory… BORING!

It all ended with the Lt. chatting with me about any questions I had and he went over the review board process… then I was off – this all took place in about an hours time.

It was not a big deal but there are things I wish I had said. I completely forgot to tell him about being a student pilot or about some of the other things I do…. But I cant go back now .. its all in Uncle Sam’s hands from here on out.

Now im writing him an e-mail thanking him for the interview. Well anyway… that was it. * sighs * im glad its over! Thanks again for the advice guys! Now I just hurry up and wait..

Status
Not open for further replies.