• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What Percent get Jets?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Of course:
What_Percent.jpg

kejo

pilot
I wanted to fly helos even before I checked into API. It wasn't until my primary onwing, a single-seat Hornet type, got me all worked up about wanting jets that I waivered from that original idea. Still, I was only about half sold. My grades shook out well enough but the Navy needed helo pilots the week I selected (18 out of 20 went rotary)...so, like many have said before...

...rock beats scissors, and N.O.T.N. beats all. Still, I'm glad things worked out the way they did. :D

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I wanted jets or helos going in, leaning a little more toward jets. After my first couple flights in the T-34, what with being strapped to a chute and in a narrow cockpit, the scale started to tip towards helos. Then came BIs and having to wear the O2 mask.....jets dropped off the radar screen. That, and I decided I didn't want to study the necessary amount to get a jet NSS. All told, I absolutely love flying helos now and want to do it even when I leave the Navy.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
This used to be a valid question for us Aircrew-types when S-3's were around. Going through A-School I worked to keep my grades up as I wanted S-3's bad (not so much for "jet", but for tailhook AND it had the most modern sub-hunting gear at the time). The downside was that ALL AW's with good depth-perception HAD to spend one of our two choices on helos. Come graduation day, I was number 2 in grades but got my 2nd choice (HSL West) anyway. As a matter-of-fact, the top 3 grads got HSL that day. The number 8 or 9 dude got the only VS slot for that week.

Once I got into the H-2 and experienced the wonder that is rotary-wing flight, I never looked back.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Well, if I count for anything, leaving January for p-cola, all I'm concerned about is flying something that has NAVY stenciled on the side of it.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I wanted jet grades just for personal performance. However I wanted P-3's for the deployment cycles. I did 5 years on carriers and was stationed on a P-3 base after that so I knew how things worked. It all worked out as H-3's were like P-3's. Gotta love the Per Diem.

FLY_USMC

pilot
BTW, HI, moving 2000 miles sucks and I'm glad it's done.

I was having a drunken conversation just a mere 2 nights ago and for any Marine types reading this, it's interesting:
-My TBS Company had 120 Air Contracts
-As far as I can tell, 18 of those got J1 or J2
-as of the way it sits right now, 8 got Hornets, 2 got Harriers, and the other 8 haven't finished.

JTB7

I was having a drunken conversation just a mere 2 nights ago and for any Marine types reading this, it's interesting:
-as of the way it sits right now, 8 got Hornets, 2 got Harriers, and the other 8 haven't finished.

So you have a 6.6666666666666666666666666666667% of getting jets. :D

phrogpilot73

So you have a 6.6666666666666666666666666666667% of getting jets. :D
You might want to work on your math. 18 out of 120 = 15%, but if you're talking the guys that finished 10 out of 120 = 8.3%. You did the math based on the number of hornet guys, so your correct (albeit flawed sample size) statment would be:

So you have a 6.6666666666666666666666666666667% of getting Hornets. :D

JTB7

You might want to work on your math. 18 out of 120 = 15%, but if you're talking the guys that finished 10 out of 120 = 8.3%. You did the math based on the number of hornet guys, so your correct (albeit flawed sample size) statment would be:

My bad.:dunce_125

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
The version of the pointless, unanswerable question that I think would be most useful, if there was an answer of course, is what percent of students with jet grades who put jets as their first choice get jets?

FLY_USMC

pilot

Update to 11 Hornets, 3 Harriers, 4 unfinished. I can assure you this is not a standard while I've been around, Harriers seem to have more spots available.