• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

ruben hinojosa

*updated stats

Sorry folks, forgot to include more information about myself since im interested in applying for Navy OCS or DCO in the summer of 2014 and was wondering if i would be competitive enough for Intel/SWO/IW to even start the process with the OR, again any feedback would be much appreciated.

24 yrs old male
HM3 with 4yrs Navy Reserves
College senior majoring in Criminal Justice
GPA 2.5
Last 3 evals: EP/EP/MP
Awards: Reserve Good Conduct, Meritorious service, Volunteer service medal, and reserve blue jacket of the quarter 2012
LOR: O5, O4, E7, E6 all from my reserve unit plus i could get my employer LOR
Extracurricular: Habit for Humanity volunteer, and member of a student leadership academy at school

Currently do not have any testing scores to post since i have not yet taken the ASTB.

exNavyOffRec

*updated stats

Sorry folks, forgot to include more information about myself since im interested in applying for Navy OCS or DCO in the summer of 2014 and was wondering if i would be competitive enough for Intel/SWO/IW to even start the process with the OR, again any feedback would be much appreciated.

24 yrs old male
HM3 with 4yrs Navy Reserves
College senior majoring in Criminal Justice
GPA 2.5
Last 3 evals: EP/EP/MP
Awards: Reserve Good Conduct, Meritorious service, Volunteer service medal, and reserve blue jacket of the quarter 2012
LOR: O5, O4, E7, E6 all from my reserve unit plus i could get my employer LOR
Extracurricular: Habit for Humanity volunteer, and member of a student leadership academy at school

Currently do not have any testing scores to post since i have not yet taken the ASTB.

your GPA is going to kill you, it is just above minimum for all those programs and guys have been getting pro N with GPA's that are a full point above yours.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
DCO is out of the picture because it requires 5+ years of a professional background (business, engineering, etc.). As for active duty, don't bother applying for Intel, IW, or any other IDC programs because as NavyOffRec said folks with a full GPA point higher than you have been turned down.

Your best case is either ace the ASTB (60+) or go back to school and pursue a master's/second bachelor's degree to boost your GPA. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but that's reality for you.

Leetwo

pilot
First time poster:

I've been browsing around the forum here and trying to gauge what else I can add to my application to make me more competitive for a pilot position. I haven't taken the ASTB yet, but will in the next month. I'm green to the whole application process, but my recruiter says I should be pretty competitive -- just looking to see what else I can do. Instrument rating? Taking some classes? Unsure. Right now I'm focusing on the ASTB.

Please feel free to hammer, ridicule, or vilify me for not looking in the right places -- throwing the question out there.

Brief Stats (since everyone else is doing it):
25 year old male
BS Chemical Engineering -- 3.64GPA
Private Pilot - 150TT, 100PIC, 50XC
Professional licenses/certs: NREMT-B (emergency medical technician basic) and EIT (engineer in training -- license before Professional Engineer; similar concept to a board certified doctor)
Community service: Civil Air Patrol -- SAR officer, supply officer, scanner/observer, training for transport pilot

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
just looking to see what else I can do. Instrument rating? Taking some classes? Unsure. Right now I'm focusing on the ASTB.
Your package is lookin' great... so far. Now the big thing you can do to make it super-strong is to ring the bell on your ASTB (>'trip 7s/>50). Then add 3-5 quality LORs, and you'll be fine.

If you go for your instrument ticket or log extra flight time to gain an 'edge' on your flight school peers... don't waste your $$$. Previous flight experience won't ever hurt you, but even 1 good LOR is a bigger plus than GA flight time. ;)
Please feel free to hammer, ridicule, or vilify me for not looking in the right places -- throwing the question out there.
No hammering, ridiculing, or vilifying... your request is as legit as your numbers.:cool:
Brief Stats (since everyone else is doing it):
Make sure all this data is entered into the INFO section of your personal profile, then keep it updated. It will aid other AW members in answering your questions.

Good luck!:)
BzB

Leetwo

pilot
Thanks for the quick reply. This confirms my belief that I should put all my efforts into the ASTB for the next month. I'll start the process of collecting LORs. A good portion of the people in CAP are retired military pilots -- I'll be sure to ask the ones I work with the most.

I'm already enrolled in a ground school instrument/commercial course at the aeroclub at Kirtland AFB (can't hurt), but I'll heed your advice about adding more flight time -- getting my private cert was expensive enough and the instrument ticket doesn't sound like it's any less expensive (although a lot of fun).

Just updated my INFO section.

Again, I appreciate the reply and will keep hunting/pecking the forum here.

kstrick7

First time poster here as well, trying to get an idea on my chances of IW. I'm hearing how competitive IDC is right now and don't know if I should try the SWO-IW option or try going SWO then transferring. Not sure what to do- my recruiter thinks I have a decent shot at IW but I'm not so sure right now. I'm working on a BS in mathematics right now, so maybe I should wait until the summer so I have grades from the upper level classes I'm taking now??...thoughts?
basic stats:
non-prior
OAR 63
GPA 3.6
Took calc-based physics I, but only general physics II (took calculus sequence-obviously), couple of computer programming classes in progress
Finishing degree in December 2014
5 LORs (1 music professor, 3 employers, 1 friend/former co-worker, only an E-3 in AF but wrote a great letter about me motivating her to get in physical shape for BMT and other good stuff)
Leadership role at work (Department Manager), some small leadership roles in college clubs and concert band group

exNavyOffRec

First time poster here as well, trying to get an idea on my chances of IW. I'm hearing how competitive IDC is right now and don't know if I should try the SWO-IW option or try going SWO then transferring. Not sure what to do- my recruiter thinks I have a decent shot at IW but I'm not so sure right now. I'm working on a BS in mathematics right now, so maybe I should wait until the summer so I have grades from the upper level classes I'm taking now??...thoughts?
basic stats:
non-prior
OAR 63
GPA 3.6
Took calc-based physics I, but only general physics II (took calculus sequence-obviously), couple of computer programming classes in progress
Finishing degree in December 2014
5 LORs (1 music professor, 3 employers, 1 friend/former co-worker, only an E-3 in AF but wrote a great letter about me motivating her to get in physical shape for BMT and other good stuff)
Leadership role at work (Department Manager), some small leadership roles in college clubs and concert band group

You need to be within about 6 months of graduation to submit, they were stretching it out a bit more but several have been told to wait, and SWO IW is much harder than IW, SWO IW has usually single digit numbers, while IW is close to or just above 30, look at the people selected, some of the common traits are they are AD, and/or have tech degree, the board right before this one took only AD for IW, if you want to be a USN officer that apply for designators that will give you the best chance of selection.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
The GPA and ASTB scores are definitely there. If you could bump that GPA to a 3.7 and beyond that would be awesome. If you do choose to pursue the IW route, get an interview with a senior IW officer since you're not prior enlisted.

NThrasher89

I am looking to get into the NFO program through the OCS:

ASTB 61 5/6/5
B.S. Biology 3.0 from Grand Valley State Univeristy, Michigan
I don't have flight experience.
I do have management experience in a restaurant (not fast food).
I also have collegiate sports on my resume.

5 LORs are on their way.
We are waiting until April to take the physical battery test. How much will better scores at the physical battery improve my overall scores?

I have yet to write my motivational letter. I am unsure what is appropiate to focus on that will look better to the board.

exNavyOffRec

I am looking to get into the NFO program through the OCS:

ASTB 61 5/6/5
B.S. Biology 3.0 from Grand Valley State Univeristy, Michigan
I don't have flight experience.
I do have management experience in a restaurant (not fast food).
I also have collegiate sports on my resume.

5 LORs are on their way.
We are waiting until April to take the physical battery test. How much will better scores at the physical battery improve my overall scores?

I have yet to write my motivational letter. I am unsure what is appropiate to focus on that will look better to the board.

go with what you have, if you don't make it then re-take.

Chill314

Hi guys,

Very new here, so please excuse any ignorance on my part. I have long been on the track towards medical school, but have recently decided that I would rather give back by serving. I am interested in Intel or aviation. I have only started talking to my local recruiter and have not had the chance to get in touch with the regional recruiter in charge of officers, but I thought I would get a jump on things here and see if I would be competitive for either position.

Stats:

College: Top Liberal arts school
GPA: 3.5
Major: Neuroscience
Concentrations: Mathematics, Physics

I have lots of analytical experience in the physics and neuroscience labs. I was a competitive athlete as well and have pretty solid community involvement. No ASTB yet. I tend to do well on tests though, (SAT: 1500, MCAT top 8%).

I feel like I could cut it in either program, but I don't have any prior military or aviation experience… I would be totally thrilled to be accepted into wither program (Intel, or Aviation). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

exNavyOffRec

Hi guys,

Very new here, so please excuse any ignorance on my part. I have long been on the track towards medical school, but have recently decided that I would rather give back by serving. I am interested in Intel or aviation. I have only started talking to my local recruiter and have not had the chance to get in touch with the regional recruiter in charge of officers, but I thought I would get a jump on things here and see if I would be competitive for either position.

Stats:

College: Top Liberal arts school
GPA: 3.5
Major: Neuroscience
Concentrations: Mathematics, Physics

I have lots of analytical experience in the physics and neuroscience labs. I was a competitive athlete as well and have pretty solid community involvement. No ASTB yet. I tend to do well on tests though, (SAT: 1500, MCAT top 8%).

I feel like I could cut it in either program, but I don't have any prior military or aviation experience… I would be totally thrilled to be accepted into wither program (Intel, or Aviation). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

How old are you? That will have an affect on what programs you can apply for.