• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

navy2014

Been reading about it since last night... thinking I might apply NFO depending on how the non-OAR numbers come out. How long does it take to get them, by the way? I didn't study for those sections at all, so I'm thinking it didn't go great (obviously). What kind of numbers would I need to have a reasonable shot at NFO, given the rest of what I have?

exNavyOffRec

Been reading about it since last night... thinking I might apply NFO depending on how the non-OAR numbers come out. How long does it take to get them, by the way? I didn't study for those sections at all, so I'm thinking it didn't go great (obviously). What kind of numbers would I need to have a reasonable shot at NFO, given the rest of what I have?

If you are turning 27 this week that isn't an option.

navy2014

Oh, weird, was talking to a pilot last night who said NFO is 29 non-waiver. Quick search tells me that's not the case. Makes that choice easy I guess.

Are they really ProXing anyone who doesn't put SWO as their first designator? My recruiter tells me because my GPA is 2.95, and not the 3.0 minimum for SWO, that he doesn't think he should put it first.

Also, is 10 LoRs too many? 6 professors, 4 employers (2 former Navy, 1 from each group)

navy2014

My recruiter said that it is not true. That is not to say that I believe either source more than the other, that is just factually what happened, and you can draw your own conclusions from it. Maybe they're just not being totally open about the fact that it's happening.

I really don't know what to do about communities / order of communities on my app.

azguy

None
Are they really ProXing anyone who doesn't put SWO as their first designator? My recruiter tells me because my GPA is 2.95, and not the 3.0 minimum for SWO, that he doesn't think he should put it first.

Also, is 10 LoRs too many? 6 professors, 4 employers (2 former Navy, 1 from each group)

You've already enlisted dude - going in as an O will increase your quality of life ex-po-nentiallyyyyy. Nothing you can do about that GPA now, drop the package and cross your fingers.

In terms of putting SWO first, only do it if that's really your first choice. I've had a great time with it, but it's not an easy job and it definitely requires a certain attitude and personality type to thrive. On top of that, SWO (as well as the rest of the URL) has been doing a good job recruiting strong candidates so make sure the rest of your package is as tight as possible to make up for your grades.

I have no idea about the LORs, sorry.

exNavyOffRec

My recruiter said that it is not true. That is not to say that I believe either source more than the other, that is just factually what happened, and you can draw your own conclusions from it. Maybe they're just not being totally open about the fact that it's happening.

I really don't know what to do about communities / order of communities on my app.

The info came from DIVO, she talked directly to the program managers, the program managers are the ones that do the pro X'ing, so........

very few recruiters still talk directly to the PM's or Director of OCS, DIVO does since she has been in recruiting so long.

DIVO

The by law minimum is 2.0. 3.0 is what NRC put out as what they want us to be looking for. If your OAR is high go ahead a put SWO first. I have my folks write a hand written statement if their OAR score is rally high and GPA not so much to give them a chance to explain to the board.

Intel- all my selects (myself included) have been non prior but with outstanding LORs from political figures. You stand the best shot if you have letters from elected officials. If you know any congressional members. If not, get to know one. Volunteer on a campaign. But in a community that has small numbers, it might be worth it to ask. Also in your statement-- any culture experiences you might have. Bring it up.

NFO. 29.

Reactions: dai

exNavyOffRec

The minimum for HIM to get application credit is 3.0 the program authorization minimum is 2.0

realistically you have a much better shot at SNA or SNFO.

DIVO

The info came from DIVO, she talked directly to the program managers, the program managers are the ones that do the pro X'ing, so........

very few recruiters still talk directly to the PM's or Director of OCS, DIVO does since she has been in recruiting so long.
They really don't want recruiters talking to them, but it sure pays off to be nice on the phone. Remember that folks when you are officers. The person on the other side typically has the power when you are asking them for something!

navy2014

Great to know, thanks. I was trying to avoid directly saying that I don't believe my OR has the most accurate information, but I guess that's a situation where I could have said nothing at all.

They really don't want recruiters talking to them, but it sure pays off to be nice on the phone. Remember that folks when you are officers. The person on the other side typically has the power when you are asking them for something!

Thanks. When you said "NFO. 29." did that mean non-prior service?

ruben hinojosa

Hello,

Im interested in applying for Navy OCS or DCO in the summer of 2014 and was wondering if i would be competitive enough for Intel/SWO/IW to drop a package, here are a few stats about me. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

24 yrs old male
HM3 with 4yrs Navy Reserves
College senior majoring in Criminal Justice
Last 3 evals: EP/EP/MP
Awards: Reserve Good Conduct, Meritorious service, Volunteer service medal, and reserve blue jacket of the quarter 2012
LOR: Navy O4, O5, and E7
Extracurricular: Habit for Humanity volunteer, and member of a student leadership academy

navy2014

Hello,

Im interested in applying for Navy OCS or DCO in the summer of 2014 and was wondering if i would be competitive enough for Intel/SWO/IW to drop a package, here are a few stats about me. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

24 yrs old male
HM3 with 4yrs Navy Reserves
College senior majoring in Criminal Justice
Last 3 evals: EP/EP/MP
Awards: Reserve Good Conduct, Meritorious service, Volunteer service medal, and reserve blue jacket of the quarter 2012
LOR: Navy O4, O5, and E7
Extracurricular: Habit for Humanity volunteer, and member of a student leadership academy

I don't know the answer, but I can tell you that people who might be able to answer are going to want your GPA and eventually an OAR score before they can help too much. Of course, nothing you've put sounds like it hurts, so...

Did they change the PA age on non prior NFO to 29 from 27?

Most people I've asked in real life since this have told me 27.