• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

Thanks for the "wildcard" comment! Gives the slightest bit of hope still. Time to cross my fingers
tumblr_miqtiy9x9d1r4efzqo1_400.gif

Tgalvin30

Ever consider going NFO? I was a prior ET3 and was accepted with: University of Tennessee, degree in Sociology and a minor in French language, GPA of 2.73. My ASTB scores were 5/6/6 49.

It's a little bit easier to get into NFO than IDC from what I've seen, and, you could always transfer later if you didn't like it. Though the school is 2 years long and has a high attrition rate.

And, try getting more appraisals and LORs from high ranking officers. Do whatever you can to pull off some O6's!

Thanks for the response. I would consider NFO but my recruiter said it was fully slotted for this fiscal year. Do you know if I should put it down as a choice anyway on my application?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Thanks for the response. I would consider NFO but my recruiter said it was fully slotted for this fiscal year. Do you know if I should put it down as a choice anyway on my application?

NRC is not accepting NFO applications at this time for non-active duty applicants. Even if you put NFO down it will be automatically removed when it reaches the NRC Processor. It's estimated that NFO will open back up as early as April but realistically I say around May or June.

GoMan5

30 yr old
Civilian
OAR: 45 (1st attempt)
B.S. Psychology, Eastern Mich. Univ. GPA: 3.5
B.S. Biology, Eastern Mich. Univ.
GPA: 2.4
cGPA: 2.7

I want to apply to OCS as Intel or IW, but I heard the Navy has raised the minimum GPA for those programs to 2.8. It's that true?

I have 2 bachelor degrees. The first was in bio, had hard times, and I found that it wasn't for me. So I went right back and received another degree in psych, and did fairly well.

It took time and a lot of thought to realize that joining the Navy as an Intel/IW officer was the right move for me. I didn't want to join if my mind and heart was not fully into it.

Now that I'm confident that this is something I want to pursue, I ran into this frustrating road block.

I started the process for applying to OCS last summer. My recruiter said I should have did things a lot faster and sooner, but I had to know that my mind and heart was all in before I jumped in the "pool." I don't believe in quitting, so I really need advice on what to do next?

Manzo

Amicmanzo
30 yr old
Civilian
OAR: 45 (1st attempt)
B.S. Psychology, Eastern Mich. Univ. GPA: 3.5
B.S. Biology, Eastern Mich. Univ.
GPA: 2.4
cGPA: 2.7

I want to apply to OCS as Intel or IW, but I heard the Navy has raised the minimum GPA for those programs to 2.8. It's that true?

I have 2 bachelor degrees. The first was in bio, had hard times, and I found that it wasn't for me. So I went right back and received another degree in psych, and did fairly well.

It took time and a lot of thought to realize that joining the Navy as an Intel/IW officer was the right move for me. I didn't want to join if my mind and heart was not fully into it.

Now that I'm confident that this is something I want to pursue, I ran into this frustrating road block.

I started the process for applying to OCS last summer. My recruiter said I should have did things a lot faster and sooner, but I had to know that my mind and heart was all in before I jumped in the "pool." I don't believe in quitting, so I really need advice on what to do next?

If you browse this thread alone as well as the site itself, you'll find comments from other posters stating some really helpful advise.
From the top of my head that I can remember based off your stats, you would have to:

1) Raise your GPA tremendously to be considered competitive for any IDC designator
2) OAR is decent but try and score a bit higher due to GPA
3) Find officers within the community you're applying for to do your appraisals (O3 and above).
4) LOR
5) And just keep at it because "you have 100% of not making it if you don't apply"

Good luck!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
The GPA and OAR score is way too low for competitive programs like IDC. Unless you improve both substantially don't bother wasting yours and your recruiter's time applying.

GoMan5

If you browse this thread alone as well as the site itself, you'll find comments from other posters stating some really helpful advise.
From the top of my head that I can remember based off your stats, you would have to:

1) Raise your GPA tremendously to be considered competitive for any IDC designator
2) OAR is decent but try and score a bit higher due to GPA
3) Find officers within the community you're applying for to do your appraisals (O3 and above).
4) LOR
5) And just keep at it because "you have 100% of not making it if you don't apply"

Good luck!

Thanks Manzo, that was really helpful!

To what extent can a high OAR help compensate for a lower GPA? I started college when I was 16, dropped the ball on some classes early, and had to build back up into the 3.0+ range.

Since I've graduated the only real option for 'raising' GPA would be Grad School, which I was hoping to put off.

exNavyOffRec

To what extent can a high OAR help compensate for a lower GPA? I started college when I was 16, dropped the ball on some classes early, and had to build back up into the 3.0+ range.

Since I've graduated the only real option for 'raising' GPA would be Grad School, which I was hoping to put off.

not much, seen several with high OAR's get passed on because of low GPA, had more than a few with lower OAR's but high GPA's get picked

Anchors_Away

Hey all, after reading the prinary posting I think Ive got a decent chance at getting a selected by the board. However, I thought Id get a second opinion that is more up to date given this year's trends. My OR told me that boards have been getting very selective, so Id like to know how realisitic my hopes are.

No prior service
B.S. in Business Admin
3.44 GPA
OAR score 68
References all former officers ranging O-2 to O-6.
No criminal record or other issues
Clean medical (cleared at MEPS)

exNavyOffRec

Hey all, after reading the prinary posting I think Ive got a decent chance at getting a selected by the board. However, I thought Id get a second opinion that is more up to date given this year's trends. My OR told me that boards have been getting very selective, so Id like to know how realisitic my hopes are.

No prior service
B.S. in Business Admin
3.44 GPA
OAR score 68
References all former officers ranging O-2 to O-6.
No criminal record or other issues
Clean medical (cleared at MEPS)

I would go with decent chance as well, do you have any LOR's from employers or professors who's classes you really stood out in?