• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What not to do when you drive off base in uniform.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I would love it if the country was more nuanced, bipartisan, nonpartisan, and willing to call a spade of spade regardless of party. Sadly, kids these days are being brainwashed by teachers and the media to see only one side and vehemently resent anyone with a different opinion.
I love that this thought ended with partisan rhetoric. Be the change you want to see in the world ?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I love that this thought ended with partisan rhetoric. Be the change you want to see in the world ?
One of the better things I recently saw on Reddit (paraphrased but the point remains):

2020 Internet political argument 101 is basically "I can't believe people actually think that [insert absurd bad-faith caricature of the worst possible interpretation of the other side's viewpoint] and have a problem with the idea that [insert the most charitable interpretation of own beliefs possible]."

Mos

None
I would love it if the country was more nuanced, bipartisan, nonpartisan, and willing to call a spade of spade regardless of party. Sadly, kids these days are being brainwashed by teachers and the media to see only one side and vehemently resent anyone with a different opinion.
I can't tell whether you got the point of my post, but to your point I'll just say there's plenty of brainwashing going in all directions. For my part, I'm a conservative disappointed with the large group of conservatives that have hitched their wagon to Trump. Would like to see an independent candidate emerge, but not likely at this point.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I think the notion of "brainwashing" is a bit silly. If people get exposed to ideas that you don't like and find them attractive that doesnt necessarily mean theyve been brainwashed. People can use their own critical thought and explore ideas and come to their own conclusions.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I think the notion of "brainwashing" is a bit silly. If people get exposed to ideas that you don't like and find them attractive that doesnt necessarily mean theyve been brainwashed. People can use their own critical thought and explore ideas and come to their own conclusions.
I agree. I am thinking of the campus “safe space” where no one is allowed to disagree with someone. Or, teachers having to provide a “trigger warning” before teaching topics that are possibly controversial, allowing students to exit the room and skip the learning material without academic consequence. Or, altogether removing controversial content like The Color Purple, Huckleberry Finn, or To Kill A Mockingbird - which used to be required reading back in my day precisely because they dealt with important, complex issues. These types of norms (which are wholly new) create and reinforce the notion that you can have a theory and be safe from anyone dissuading you from your theory.

SlickAg

pilot
I think it’s sort of silly to not admit that there is a significant lack of conservative voices in American higher education. I understand that some professions tend to sway one way or another, but to say that education overall doesn’t have a clear bias is willful ignorance.

We don’t need to exist in an echo chamber where we’re all aggressively agreeing with each other. But these seeds that are sown in classrooms grow up into our current situation, which is what @Hair Warrior described earlier. By saying “that’s just partisan rhetoric“ and dismissing his viewpoint offhand, you’re continuing the cycle.

Also, the fact that a high school teacher can get fired for tweeting a fact (Donald Trump IS our President) should tell you everything you need to know about the current state of American politics.

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Right. Nobody at OAN, 4Chan or FNC is doing any brainwashing or spreading of propaganda or insane conspiracy theories. It’s just the (left wing) teachers and (left wing) media.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I agree. I am thinking of the campus “safe space” where no one is allowed to disagree with someone. Or, teachers having to provide a “trigger warning” before teaching topics that are possibly controversial, allowing students to exit the room and skip the learning material without academic consequence. Or, altogether removing controversial content like The Color Purple, Huckleberry Finn, or To Kill A Mockingbird - which used to be required reading back in my day precisely because they dealt with important, complex issues. These types of norms (which are wholly new) create and reinforce the notion that you can have a theory and be safe from anyone dissuading you from your theory.
So how far reaching are these notions for real? Are they limited to frankly what are schools and classes for people who are already bought in to these sort of notions?

Book censorship due to content is nothing new. I disagree with it but parents being upset about ideas that schools expose their kids to has been going on for ages. It's not like people just started banning books.

SlickAg

pilot
So how far reaching are these notions for real? Are they limited to frankly what are schools and classes for people who are already bought in to these sort of notions?

Book censorship due to content is nothing new. I disagree with it but parents being upset about ideas that schools expose their kids to has been going on for ages. It's not like people just started banning books.
CHAZ/CHOP and the nightly activities in Portland seem to come right to the top of my mind. To what theories do these peaceful protesters prescribe? They also seem open to intelligent debate and ready to listen to constructive ideas that will help them bring about meaningful change.

Book censorship is a slippery slope, but there’s a difference between parents wanting to ban the Harry Potter series because it promotes wizardry and sorcery and those who want to ban books like Uncle Tom’s Cabin or The Diary of Anne Frank because they talk about “scary” and/or inconvenient subjects and To Kill A Mockingbird because they use words to describe people that are no longer acceptable. I’m against censorship in all forms, unless it’s common sense in preventing a child from reading something too graphic for their age (for example, my 7 year-old reading a Playboy).

Regardless, we weren’t really talking about parents here, it was about educators. If a parent wants to keep something from their child that’s on them. But I believe the foundation for being able to understand both sides of an argument and realize that not everyone can get what they want all the time begins at home. I think almost any parent can agree with that.

Right. Nobody at OAN, 4Chan or FNC is doing any brainwashing or spreading of propaganda or insane conspiracy theories. It’s just the (left wing) teachers and (left wing) media.
What’s the latest propaganda and insane conspiracy theories they’re pushing over at Fox News these days?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
What? Go read my other reply.

Take politics out of it. My point is that many teachers and the media are often reinforcing the idea that a one-sided viewpoint is better than tolerating different viewpoints. But this practice actually hurts intellectual discourse.

Also, I don’t know what those acronyms are, but I assume they are media outlets or PACs (that I clearly don’t follow). Stop trying to project a partisan slant onto my nonpartisan comments.

SlickAg

pilot

Take politics out of it. My point is that many teachers and the media are often reinforcing the idea that a one-sided viewpoint is better than tolerating different viewpoints.

Also, I don’t know what those acronyms are, but I assume they are media outlets or PACs (that I clearly don’t follow). Stop trying to project a partisan slant onto my nonpartisan comments.
Just accept the fact that you’re a terrible brainwashed conservative person and everything will make a lot more sense.

Edit: forgot to add cultist.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Take politics out of it. My point is that many teachers and the media are often reinforcing the idea that a one-sided viewpoint is better than tolerating different viewpoints. But this practice actually hurts intellectual discourse.

You decry hyperpartisanship, then proceed to list two examples from the left without addressing examples from the right, which is ironic... don’t you think?

SlickAg

pilot
You decry hyperpartisanship, then proceed to list two examples from the left without addressing examples from the right, which is ironic... don’t you think?
I’ll give an example of the media’s non-partisanship.

The New York Times published an op-ed by Senator Tom Cotton.

And then they fired the editor who allowed it a few days later because of the woke outrage at daring to publish a conservative Republican’s point of view.

So yeah, the newspaper of record will definitely publish contrarian viewpoints. (It only fires the people responsible afterwards.)

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I didn’t say the left. I said teachers and the news media. I actually think the right and left news media are equally to blame. They’re all shit. Where are the Walter Cronkites or Peter Jennings who just reported the facts without spin, and let the viewers decide?

Teachers catch my blame because they are shaping the minds and common sense traits of future generations, and therefore I believe they have a lofty obligation it to students, parents, and taxpayers to provide a setting that acknowledges and approves of a diverse variety of viewpoints being tolerated.