• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is your status now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

usunkmybship

since this place has been isolated for the past few days...
I have to go to the recruiter to fill out my paperwork to enlist in the Naval Reserves. I got accepted to NAPS in January.
And I'm also trying to do my coursework and paperwork to be a midshipman for Sea Cadets.

So USNA? NAPS? College? ROTC? Transfers? Summer Seminar, Re-applying?...

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
If USNA is your goal, don't turn down NAPS. If you say no to NAPS now, I can't imagine them looking at an application from you next year and saying yes. They already gave you a shot this time around. No reason not to finish a college/ROTC application to keep your options open.

Are you sure you know what NAPS is all about?

usunkmybship

Yes, why did you get the impression that I'm turning NAPS down? I mailed my acceptance/decline form in February and they sent me all the paperwork a few weeks ago. I have to enlist in the reserves before I enter in July.
Sea Cadets is a teen cadet program, once I turn 18 I can be a midshipman for the program, even though I'll hardly be there anymore.

big

USNA Class of 2008
Just found out I got appointed to USNA today.

Congrats on NAPS, do well and get ready to enter USNA for Class of '09 :icon_smil

usunkmybship

Congrats to you too, big! I'm sending out personalized thank you letters to those teachers who gave me my recommendations, and others that helped me along the way.

usunkmybship

Joy! I wrote something in the Naps Parents Page guestbook and all the parents are very good and helpful with any questions and they are very nice and supportive. You'll be suprized how many of them e-mail you back. Even the current Napsters e-mail you and share their experiences.

One I got today:

"Hi,
I am Jimmy, or M/C..., and just graduated from NAPS. I understand many of the things you had to say and just wanted to let you know I will try to answer any questions or concerns you may have about NAPS. I would say not to worry about in-doc. it is fast paced but not unreasonable. waking up in the morning to yelling is the hardest thing, at least for me. if you are in decent shape you will be just fine. physically i didnt find it to be anything like i thought it would be. as for support, well you are right, your motivation will have to come from inside. but, everyone there is doing the same thing you are, wanting the same thing, with the same goal. make yourself proud. the support will come; but if its not there now, show them what you can do and they will come to support you. its really a testing year. its hard, trial by fire almost, but you will be proud to say you are a napster AFTER you graduate. i'm not sure what else to say to help give you insight; but i wish you all the best."

usunkmybship

NAPSters, when do you plan to go to RI?
Are you arriving a day or two earlier and stay at a hotel and have a day to drive around RI/Newport as your final time enjoying civilian life? (if not a prior)
Or are you just going straight there on July 15?
What are your plans?
Please PM or Email me.

usnafury

I just got back from Summer Seminar; it was the coolest and most motivational thing I've ever done. I got off the plane, and asked some guy where the "head" was. He gave me a really weird look and walked off. :D Anyways, after NASS, the Academy is my first choice. I'll be devastated if I don't get in. Would you guys mind looking at my info and assessing my chances? Obviously no one can say for sure; none of you are on the admissions board. Anyways, here it is:

White female/Alabama
Academics:
4.06/4.0 GPA
21/494 class rank (top 5 percent)
1420 SAT (800 verbal, 620 math)
I've taken lots of AP and Honors classes, and one IB class.

Honors:
National Honor Society Member
Mu Alpha Theta Math Honor Society Member
Silver Medalist on the National Latin Exam
3 years on the Honor Roll
Who's Who Among American High School Students (2x)
Outstanding Class Participation Award (2x)
Auburn Club Merit Award
Furman Scholar

Sports:
4 year Varsity Soccer Player
Leadership Award
Captain of Club Soccer Team
State Finalists
Selected to be in the Olympic Development Program
Lakeshore Shootout All-Tournament Team
Captain of Church Volleyball Team

Activities:
President of the Latin Club
Student Government Representative
Senior Class Historian
Member of Juniorette's Service Club
I work as a soccer referee
Head Coach of a Youth Girl's Soccer Team
Storm Spotter for the National Weather Service
I've been a Girl Scout for 10 years
I've been a Canoe Instructor at a Girl Scout Camp for 5 summers

So, what do ya'll think? Do I have a pretty good chance of getting in? I'm sending in my entire application tomorrow.

Integer1

Banned
Here's an honest opinion. Your sound like a strong candidate, and 1 of 2 of those get in. Alabama also sounds like a very competitive district. Here is what you need to do:

1) Send the application in.

2) Contact the soccer coach. Don't worry about how good you were compared to your teammates--have confidence that you made it to the state finals.

3) Re-take the SAT in September and try to improve your Math score. If you do better, send them the new score.

4) Continue at your best in the mean time. Just remember: when dealing with the Academies, there is not one thing you can put on your application and be a sure bet. It just doesn't happen that way with the Academies. So, continue doing your best, and maybe even apply to other academies. Past airwarrior members who applied have done things like get A's while homeless, been student body presidents of their colleges, were first in the state in some things, etc. and did not get in on their first try. It just means you will be around good company if you are appointed, so look at it that way. Continue doing your best.

Assuming you do all four, your chances will be much better. Good luck and don't stop now after all that hard work!

viv

Midshipman 4/Trash
I don't wanna raise your hopes too much or sound like I'm on the admissions board, (because there's always the chance something will happen to screw you over) but I would be surprised if you didn't get an appointment. You're solid all around. I'd recommend getting your ODP, Club, and High School coaches to call the Academy's soccer coach.

Jonez

USNA 09 Hopeful
Got my packet a couple days ago, finishing up my personal statement, about to take some paperwork down to my school today.

Damn I hope I get in.

NAPSmom05

I'd also be surprised if you don't get an appt.

But, I echo what integer said (I think) about getting that math SAT higher if you can. The magic number is 600 to be considered in math and verbal. So, don't freak if you can't get it higher. I think that since there are many many qualified students applying, you have to have something just a little unique. Two things jumped out...Olympic Dev. soccer (my Brother in law did that) because it shows that you have taken an activity and stayed with it and perfected it over many years. Shows a lot of dedication. (as opposed to a sport here and there). Second was the storm tracker. I just found that interesting and that could certainly set you apart. Don't get me wrong. The rest was good; but nothing that really jumped out at me. I do think you have a great great chance. Get your application in ASAP and then await the results in peace. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.