• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is the regulation....

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Anyone who went to OCS and had a half-decent class officer was told to wear their covers when going through the gate, and to return all salutes if covered when in the car.

However, I DO NOT initiate salutes if covered in the car (a la midnjac). That is retarded and you will be ignored/get looks (like he said he did). :D

I don't return salutes from civilians. I wasn't sure what the regulation was, but I just assumed we don't salute civilians (or else am I supposed to return every salute of every smartass who sees me in uniform in LA and salutes me in jest?).

In Pensacola, I've been saluted a few times by a couple scared E1s/E2s, and if I see it, and I'm covered I salute back quickly or acknowledge it with my hand and give a hearty thanks.

As for saluting out of uniform, we learned EARLY on at OCS that you better salute an officer, even if he's out of uniform. He acknowledges and you drop your salute. So yes, if you're in PT gear, and your sailor recognizes you, he SHOULD salute you, and you acknowledge it with a greeting and thanks, and he drops it.

And lastly, is this Afterburner character the former Wannagofast?? What am I, a trendsetter?

bb1125

None
The cover is on when entering/on base...I do salute on my ass when saluted first (it's a respect thing, fuck the regs), especially when the MA3 has been out there in the 95 degree 70% humidity shithole we call Texas.
Well, I actually stood gate guard back in the day and I never expected to get a returned salute. I actually thought it was retarted when I got one. I never thought it was disrespectful or anything as long as I was acknowledged (i.e., a thank you). Like I said before, I always acknowledge it, but I don't salute when I'm sitting on my ass or in civvies, etc.

phrogpilot73

I don't return salutes from civilians. I wasn't sure what the regulation was, but I just assumed we don't salute civilians (or else am I supposed to return every salute of every smartass who sees me in uniform in LA and salutes me in jest?).
Step back and think about what a salute really means. It's used as a means of showing respect. With that in mind, if some smartass is doing it in jest - then you probably aren't going to return the salute because he's not doing it to show respect. However, if it's a civilian who's working on a military base, saluting you - then guess what? He's doing it to show respect. Return it.

If you don't think we salute civilians, I've got three words for you: Commander In Chief.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Step back and think about what a salute really means. It's used as a means of showing respect. With that in mind, if some smartass is doing it in jest - then you probably aren't going to return the salute because he's not doing it to show respect. However, if it's a civilian who's working on a military base, saluting you - then guess what? He's doing it to show respect. Return it.

If you don't think we salute civilians, I've got three words for you: Commander In Chief.

Roger that. I guess I've watched Top Gun too many times. This was one of those ENS-isms, where we all talked about it and were like "WTF are we supposed to do?"

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot

100% Agreed. And four more words - Medal Of Honor recipients.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
10th General Order - Salute all Officers and colors and standards not cased. So if you are an Officer but not in uniform then you still get saluted. When I stood gate guard on the carrier pier in Mayport I liked a salute back from the O in the car. In the car I salute back to the gate guard since they are saluting me.

trvsmrtn

pilot
When I went through boot camp we were taught that you don't wear a cover while in a vehicle and you don't salute while sitting down. I've always drawn on that lesson as an officer.

However, I just dusted off the old Naval Officer's Guide which has a cute little picture that states the driver should render a salute when safe to do so and it says to refer to Naval Regulations.

Naval Regulations state that:

Persons operating moving motor vehicles should not render or return salutes. Passengers will render and return salutes.

You don't salute in civvies, but if you are known to an enlisted sailor or present your ID while you're in civvies, they should salute if they are in uniform.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Not knowing the reg until reading this thread, I've never worn my cover while driving, and since I was uncovered, never returned the salute when driving on base. Just said a polite thank you, have a good day, and keep on truckin' on my way.

Good to know now.
I've been doing the same here. I've also noticed that the gate guards at NNPTC only salute maybe 25% of the time in the first place. But as I read through this thread, the uniform regs seem to contradict the Marine regulation, which I would assume is the same as the Navy regulation when it comes to saluting.

We were taught at OCS that if you are covered, in uniform, you ALWAYS return a salute. You might even return the salute in civvies or uncovered if the person saluting doesn't know that the Navy doesn't salute in civvies or uncovered so that they don't think you're blowing them off. But if some jackass is just poking fun, ignore him and carry on.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Anyone who went to OCS and had a half-decent class officer was told to wear their covers when going through the gate, and to return all salutes if covered when in the car.

I guess my class officer was all colors of jacked up. I wonder what else he could have missed????

I drive a Jeep, and it's a stick. When I go through the gate, uncovered, and I'm saluted, I respond with a simple "have a good day (insert rank/sailor)". I then drive away, never having taken my hand off the wheel or the stick.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I always return a salute if I am in uniform, or in civvies when the Japanese gate guard salutes me. It's a respect thing.

You are NEVER wrong returning a salute.

BTW, speaking of civilians you salute, aren't we supposed to salute members of congress and state governors?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I guess my class officer was all colors of jacked up. I wonder what else he could have missed????

I drive a Jeep, and it's a stick. When I go through the gate, uncovered, and I'm saluted, I respond with a simple "have a good day (insert rank/sailor)". I then drive away, never having taken my hand off the wheel or the stick.

Well since it was quoted above as being a uniform regulation, it was probably an important thing to teach the class.

I drive a stick too, yet I still return salutes. How do I accomplish this superhuman feat, you ask? It's called "multi-tasking". ;)

phrogpilot73

But as I read through this thread, the uniform regs seem to contradict the Marine regulation, which I would assume is the same as the Navy regulation when it comes to saluting.
Navy uniform regs differ from Marine uniform regs with respect to wearing the cover in an automobile. Our regulations are the same with respect to when/where to salute. Two different regs.

BTW, speaking of civilians you salute, aren't we supposed to salute members of congress and state governors?
I know Congress, but I'm not sure about governors...

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I drive a Jeep too, but I don't have doors or a top so I never wear a cover while I'm driving (one blew off once and was a pain in the ass to go back and get). When I get saluted while I'm in the Jeep I just nod and say thank you. Whenever I go on MCRD the Marines jump out from foxholes and from being hidden behind trees to salute as I pass so I'm nodding a lot on that base!!

As for enlisted saluting officers that aren't in uniform, I remember being taught in boot camp that we were supposed to salute if we recognized them regardless of what they wore, or if we were standing watch and saw their id. The only time we weren't supposed to salute an O like that was during times of active war (the whole id'ing an officer and getting him shot thingy was the reasoning they gave).