• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is the regulation....

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Back in the day when I was in flightline, when we launched an aircraft we always saluted the pilot as we sent him down the taxi way. To this day, when I'm launching a Navy aircraft for delivery or even FCF I still salute the pilot when sending him down the ramp.

It's a respect thing!

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Back in the day when I was in flightline, when we launched an aircraft we always saluted the pilot as we sent him down the taxi way. To this day, when I'm launching a Navy aircraft for delivery or even FCF I still salute the pilot when sending him down the ramp.

It's a respect thing!

That reminds me...back when I was going through A-school in P'Cola, we used to convince the new recruits out of Great Lakes that they had to salute planes going overhead as they contained officers. God we were asses ;)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

It's a respect thing!
It's also a communications thing. On the other end, when the plane captain salutes me, he is telling me that he is no longer giving me taxi signals, all the maintainers are clear, and I'm free to do as I need to with throttles/brakes/nosewheel steering.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Congress, yes. Governors, not sure.

I know Congress, but I'm not sure about governors...

I am pretty certain the only civilian entitled to a salute is the President. I have seen a few salute the SECDEF, but I distinctly remember learning when I first started out that only the President, by reg, got a salute.

Until I see otherwise, I will go on thinking that. ;)

P.S. National Guardsmen don't count for Governors!

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
We were taught at OCS to salute the President and Congressmen, and it's explicitly written to do so in the OCR section that describes saluting protocol.

phrogpilot73

Google-fu is mediocre today, so I can answer SOME of the questions that are being debated in this thread.

From Chapter 12, Section 3 of US Navy Regulations:
Juniors shall salute first. All salutes received when in uniform and covered shall be returned; at other times salutes received shall be appropriately acknowledged. Persons uncovered shall not salute, except when failure to do so would cause embarassment or misunderstanding.

Civilians may be saluted by persons in uniform when appropriate, but the uniform hat or cap shall not be raised as a form of salutation.

Salutes shall be rendered by persons in the naval service to officers of the armed services of the United States, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the Public Health Service and foreign armed services.

Persons operating moving motor vehicles should not render or return salutes. Passengers will render and return salutes.

No mention of President, Senator, Ambassador, MOH, etc... Continuing the search.

phrogpilot73

Little more digging, and I still can't find a whole lot on the subject. However, it does mention in OPNAV 1710.7A (Protocol Manual) that on the occasion of Formal, but not official visits that anyone entitled to a 19 gun salute or more should be afforded full honors. My guess is that you'd be safe saluting anyone that rates more than 19 guns, which includes:

President, Former President, Vice President, Governor of State, Speaker of the House, Chief Justice, Ambassador, Secretary of State, US Representative to the UN, Associate Justices of the Supreme Court, SecDef, Cabinet Officers, President Pro Temp of the Senate, US Senators, House Representatives, Deputy SecDef, Secretaries of the Army, Air Force, and Navy, Under Secretary of Defense; Foreign Dudes: President/Sovereign, Members of Royal Family, Prime Minister or othe cabinet officer.

They all rate 19 guns or more on departure. The only ones that rate them on arrival are:

President, SecDef, Deputy SecDef, Secretaries of the Army, Air Force, and Navy, Under SecDef; Foreign Dudes: President/Sovereign, Members of the Royal Family.

I'd say it's pretty safe to say that if you are ever faced with whether or not you should salute some of these people, you probably should. Or, you could be stationed at 8th & I/White House and already know if you should or not. In which case, may God have mercy on your soul.

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
President, Former President, Vice President, Governor of State, Speaker of the House, Chief Justice, Ambassador, Secretary of State, US Representative to the UN, Associate Justices of the Supreme Court, SecDef, Cabinet Officers, President Pro Temp of the Senate, US Senators, House Representatives, Deputy SecDef, Secretaries of the Army, Air Force, and Navy, Under Secretary of Defense; Foreign Dudes: President/Sovereign, Members of Royal Family, Prime Minister or othe cabinet officer..

I think 90% of us would only even recognize 3 or 4 of these people! :eek: