• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is the regulation....

incubus852

pilot
Where can you find the regulation regarding whether or not you need to wear a cover while driving onto base through a guard post? Thought that you just follow the lead of the senior officer in the car.... so if you're solo, you don't need to wear a cover? right? Wrong?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't believe there is a specific NAVY regulation which pertains to your question. MARINES on the other hand drive while covered.

I used to ride with a MARINE while attending API and he would always wear his cover while going through the gate and while on base. When questioned, his response was that if the gate guard is going to salute you, then properly RETURN THE SALUTE.

Anytime I am driving on base in uniform, I put my cover on my head and return the gate guard's salute. Think about it.

-ea6bflyr ;)

phrogpilot73

I don't believe there is a specific NAVY regulation which pertains to your question. MARINES on the other hand drive while covered.

I used to ride with a MARINE while attending API and he would always wear his cover while going through the gate and while on base. When questioned, his response was that if the gate guard is going to salute you, then properly RETURN THE SALUTE.

Anytime I am driving on base in uniform, I put my cover on my head and return the gate guard's salute. Think about it.
Not true.

Wear of headgear in privately owned vehicles is not required. (MARADMIN 322/05)

It used to be that uniform regulations allowed you to remove your cover in a vehicle if it constituted a hazard (or some such nonsense). The only thing was figuring out what narrow circumstance that was allowed. MARADMIN 322/05 cleared it up.

I still wear my cover when driving on base for the reasons you pointed out. Sharp eyed Sailors and Marines have also been known to salute you when you drive past.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Never wore a cover while driving...and always returned the gate guard's salute.

Never had a problem.

bb1125

None
Am I the only one that deosn't salute when sitting on my ass? I always acknowledge the salute, but not by returning it. Just doesn't seem appropriate and I've never seen an actual regulation on it, just word of mouth.

Renegade One

None
Uniform regs, Section 1101.4.d:

Special Circumstances. A military cover may be removed when riding a bicycle on or off base. A safety helmet is recommended. Personnel may remove their cap or hat when traveling inside a private automobile or riding a bicycle off base. A cover is mandatory when entering or within a military reservation, unless wearing the cap is impractical or hazardous.

So, in general, covers on when entering the gate and as long as driving on base.

Bevo16

pilot
Here is some trivia:

If you are in PT gear and one of your enlisted (who knows you are an officer) walks past, should he salute? Should you return it? Should you just run the other direction to avoid confusion?

phrogpilot73

If you are in PT gear and one of your enlisted (who knows you are an officer) walks past, should he salute? Should you return it? Should you just run the other direction to avoid confusion?
Yes, No (unless you're in the Army/AF or the lone Navy guy on an Army/AF base), absolutely not.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
The cover is on when entering/on base...I do salute on my ass when saluted first (it's a respect thing, fuck the regs), especially when the MA3 has been out there in the 95 degree 70% humidity shithole we call Texas.

You fucking sniper Marines gotta give a guy a little more warning if you are gonna salute me when I am driving by though...I understand 6-30 paces, but I feel like an ass when I only see it as I go by out of the corner of my peripheral vision. Not a huge problem here in CC, but in Pensacola it seemed like once a week I was backing up and apologizing for missing the return salute.

Future AF FAIPs/IP's...Navy/Marines do not salute indoors...don't put is in that akward situation when we step to brief..it is already akward enough existing in the AF corporation that is Vance.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I don't see any purpose in saluting when actually driving (save going through the gate where it is legit). Depending on ambient conditions (darkness, rain, sun glare) it is likely they won't even see you return the salute, AND if anything it could possibly be dangerous given the right circumstances. Of course I don't wear my cover when driving after going through the gate, so it would be a moot point anyways.

When I was in ROTC, during the first week of my freshman year I rolled by the CO/XO while covered in my car, and saluted them. XO just looked at me like I was completely retarded, and I have never saluted in motion in any vehicle since.

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
Common sense prevails here. I wear a cover when I drive on base. I always return the gate guard's salute. If I'm in civvies and driving on an Army or AF base and the guard salutes me, I return the salute. Not all those guys know that Navy doesn't salute uncovered/out of uniform... it's best to return the salute and not have an uninformed enlisted from a different service think Navy/USMC Officers are pricks.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Not knowing the reg until reading this thread, I've never worn my cover while driving, and since I was uncovered, never returned the salute when driving on base. Just said a polite thank you, have a good day, and keep on truckin' on my way.

Good to know now.

jdbryan

Civvie "security" guards here too, they salute (and sharp as nails too). We salute back. It's courtesy.

A lot of Air Force bases have civies working the gates too, and I saw one salute the other day. I asked why he saluted and he told me that it was in their company's contract with the Air Force that they had to salute.