• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is it like to be an NFO?

altuc

Can anyone specify what an NFO does on a P-3C Orion/EP-3/E-6 Mercury? Those are the only three I have not got much information on.. Im assuming some sort of CommO or a Navigator.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Extremely short answer: in the P-3 you start out as the NAV/COMM. Pretty much self explanatory.

After qualifying as NAV you work up to being the Tactical Coordinator. Basically, the TACCO runs the show in the back, whether it be dropping buoys, ordnance, etc.

P3 F0

None
Can't speak for the E-6, but on the EP-3, you start out as a Navigator for about a year, then move up to what amounts to assisting the Senior Evaluator, who is also an NFO, and who is responsible for collecting/fusing/reporting the information collected by the aircraft and its operators. After a year of that, you move up (qualify) from assisting to being the SEVAL. Basically, you run the reconnaissance mission. If I get any more specific than that, I'm going to stray into classification issues.

It's somewhat similar for the Orion. Start out as a Nav, then wind up as the guy running the mission. The navigator portion for these platforms is actually the minority of what the NFO does. The majority of time is spent qualifying for, and then running, the actual missions.

altuc

The P-3/EP-3 pipeline sounds like an experience. ;)

Thanks for the replies, guys.

One more.. according to wikipedia, it says the EP-3 has a crew of 22+ personnel. Can you tell me the breakdown between the number of Aviators/NFOs/Enlisted crew?

Same for P-3 as it says the crew consists of 11.

- Alex

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
EP-3 crew is larger as they have a ton of crypto analysts on board. Typical P-3 crew has 3 pilots, 2 NFOs, 2 flight engineers, a non-acoustic sensor operator, 2 acoustic sensor operators, and an in-flight technician.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are Prowlers going to be given to the Marine Corps?

You mean, besides the ones they already have?

0733634.jpg

altuc

Sorry about that. From what I understand, the Prowlers will be 'taken over' by the new EA-18 Growler. I like how it is more F/18 style with the Pilot and WSO. According to Wikipedia there are 3 active squadrons, and by FY11 they should be adding another 4.

Thanks,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA-18_Growler