• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is (in your opinion) the BEST fighter plane that has EVER served in the Navy / Marine Corps?

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
18954.jpg

I may be reaching a bit on the "fighter" part, but...

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
In keeping with the theme of not USN/USMC aircraft has been posted yet (RAF Harrier does not count ( check wing roundels)), how about this little guy? Probably the most influential naval fighter of the first half of WW2.
air_a6m27.jpg

Renegade One

None
The "best?" What are the criteria? Actual performance? Well, the newest one is probably the best, so lets just hand it to the newest one: the F/A-18E/F. I'd be willing to bet that all else being the same, it would defeat its predecessors. Are we done now?

Are you talking about ability relative to its opponents at the time? Length of service? Drool factor? These things can get silly, and are inherently meaningless.
The Military Channel has probably done a "Top 10" episode on fighters...although I don't think they use "drool factor"...but probably should.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
1) Fun on an aviation forum? Never heard of it!
2) You be crazy, started all these threads like this. The mods don't quite know what to do with you yet, but you make a mistake and they be all up on you like a fat kid on butter.
3) My favorite plane (makes me jealous that the marines get to have all the fun).

air_harrier_gr7a_afghanistan_frontal_flares_lg1.jpg

Why does a guy who's Custom Title is "Dreaming of the P-8" pick the Harrier? How about the PBY Catalina or the venerable P-3??

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Why does a guy who's Custom Title is "Dreaming of the P-8" pick the Harrier? How about the PBY Catalina or the venerable P-3??

The OP's question was about "fighter planes." Oops, the Harrier's not one of those either!

SteveG75

None
In keeping with the theme of not USN/USMC aircraft has been posted yet (RAF Harrier does not count ( check wing roundels)), how about this little guy? Probably the most influential naval fighter of the first half of WW2.
Maybe this picture will work...
aal

Renegade One

None
Maybe this picture will work...
aal
Nah...if you're talking "most influential...of the first half of WWII", my vote is split between the Hawker Hurricane and the Supermarine Spitfire. Real "game changers"...even before we, as a nation, went "all in".

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
In keeping with the theme of not USN/USMC aircraft has been posted yet (RAF Harrier does not count ( check wing roundels))...
My mistake posting an RAF one. Not sure what you mean by 'roundels'. I take it by the others' posts here, that there isn't a "fighter" version on the US side (only attack)?

SteveG75

None
Nah...if you're talking "most influential...of the first half of WWII", my vote is split between the Hawker Hurricane and the Supermarine Spitfire. Real "game changers"...even before we, as a nation, went "all in".

Hey, I did say most influential "naval" fighter. LOL.

SteveG75

None
My mistake posting an RAF one. Not sure what you mean by 'roundels'. I take it by the others' posts here, that there isn't a "fighter" version on the US side (only attack)?

From wiki:

"A roundel in heraldry is a disc; the term is also commonly used to refer to a type ofnational insignia used on military aircraft, generally circular in shape and usually comprising concentric rings of different colours."

Renegade One

None
Hey, I did say most influential "naval" fighter. LOL.
Okay...I've been hoist on my own petard. Given your "entry requirements"....I'll just stick with my original post of "The Fighting Fours" noms: F4F, F4U, F-4B/J/N (based on timeframe...).
P.S.: Seriously...anyone know WTF a "petard" is?!?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Okay...I've been hoist on my own petard. Given your "entry requirements"....I'll just stick with my original post of "The Fighting Fours" noms: F4F, F4U, F-4B/J/N (based on timeframe...).
It's French for firecracker.

SteveG75

None
I will agree with "The Fighting Fours" for US Naval fighter aircraft.

Now, for best US Naval aircraft ever, I would have to argue that the following best supported the mission of the aircraft carrier as defined by the US Navy (22 x Mk82 and 18k of gas, yeah baby):

Description
Aircraft carriers are the centerpiece of America's Naval forces. On any given day, aircraft carriers exercise the Navy core capabilities of power projection, forward presence, humanitarian assistance, deterrence, sea control and maritime security.
a6cat2.jpg