• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is (in your opinion) the BEST fighter plane that has EVER served in the Navy / Marine Corps?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
45 year career? That's it?!?

And you're right, I'll take a different view on the 46... First off, 48 year career (thusfar) - when finally retired it will be a 52 year career. Any assault support mission you want, she'll do.

ch46-fastrope.jpg

700 mile insert. No FARP.

Execute.

The Corps has gotten (is getting) its money's worth out of the Phrog. And then some. And then some more.

Overall, though (DoD wide), you'd be hard pressed to beat the bang for the buck of either the Huey or the Herc.

I realize we have strayed WAAAAAAYYYY off fighters, but that's a good thing.

ryan1234

Interesting piece of Corsair History...

The F4U-5 claimed the last prop fighter to prop fighter kills when FAH (Honduran Air Force) Major Soto Henriquez shot down one Cavalier P-51D (F-51?) Mustang and two FG-1D Corsairs of the FAS (El Salvador Air Force) during the 1969 Soccer War (or more correctly, the 100 hour war). Hacker is probably better with the details.... Interestingly enough, the FAS hired several American Mercenaries to fly the Cavalier Mustangs.

Most of the F4Us on display on the air show circuit came from the FAH and most of the FGs were from the FAS.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
My mistake posting an RAF one. Not sure what you mean by 'roundels'. I take it by the others' posts here, that there isn't a "fighter" version on the US side (only attack)?

Truth. It turns real nice down low, has a great cockpit and we put very good A/A weapons and sensors on it, but she's just too chesty to be a fighter.

draad

I'm going to pose a different criteria. If you got one flight in any aircraft that was in the navy's arsenal and any point in time, what would it be? First, I'd be sad the Navy never had P-51s, but then I'd we remember we had F4u's instead and go with that.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I honestly would probably give a left nut to fly any jet that has ever been in our inventory. Even the T-2....they were still flying them at VT-86 when I was in API, and I always wanted to get a ride but never had the time (and I'm sure they would have told me to go pound sand anyway)

Renegade One

None
The "best?" What are the criteria? Actual performance? Well, the newest one is probably the best, so lets just hand it to the newest one: the F/A-18E/F. I'd be willing to bet that all else being the same, it would defeat its predecessors. Are we done now?

Are you talking about ability relative to its opponents at the time? Length of service? Drool factor? These things can get silly, and are inherently meaningless.
The Military Channel has probably done a "Top 10" episode on fighters...although I don't think they use "drool factor"...but probably should.

Military Channel’s “Top Ten Greatest Fighters”:
10: Lockheed Martin F-117 “Nighthawk”
9: Fokker DR1 “Triplane”
8: Mitsubishi A6M “Zeke”
7: Hawker- Siddeley “Harrier”
6: North American F-86 “Saber”
5: Messerschmitt Bf-109
4: McDonnell-Douglas (Boeing) F/A-18 “Hornet”
3: Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21
2: Supermarine “Spitfire”
1: North American P-51 “Mustang”

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
10: Lockheed Martin F-117 “Nighthawk".

The Nighthawk isn't even a 'fighter'...despite USAF designation as F, they seem to be allergic to the letter A! It probably should be a B-117?:rolleyes:
BzB

Pugs

Back from the range
None
10: Lockheed Martin F-117 “Nighthawk”
9: Fokker DR1 “Triplane”
8: Mitsubishi A6M “Zeke”
7: Hawker- Siddeley “Harrier”
6: North American F-86 “Saber”
1: North American P-51 “Mustang”

Wow - I suspect their criteria was worked out over Mad Dog 20/20 and grape juice. If you're looking at innovative techniologies, length of service, effectiveness, range of roles it performed there are far better choices.

10: Lockheed Martin F-117 “Nighthawk” F-15 Eagle
9: Fokker DR1 “Triplane” if it must be a WW-I German a/c the Fokker DR VII would be a better choice.
8: Mitsubishi A6M “Zeke” - From 37-42 maybe but it was owned by the Hellcat in all respects
7: Hawker- Siddeley “Harrier” F-4 Phantom
6: North American F-86 “Sabre” - Maybe but you could just as easily put the Mig-15 here.
1: North American P-51 “Mustang

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Why was the F-117 ever given the 'F' designation?

I vote for the F/A-18E with bigger engines...even though it's just a pipe dream :)

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Why was the F-117 ever given the 'F' designation?

I vote for the F/A-18E with bigger engines...even though it's just a pipe dream :)

Nothing new...F-105 Thunderchief....F-117 Vark...Long line of the AF screwing with the "system". Best theory I've ever heard presented goes something like this: Since the glory road in the Air Force is fighters, period. The F-117 designation was given so that they could not only attract their "best and brightest" but ensure that they could say "fighter" with a straight face when it came to the crew's career progression.

Sounds just stupid enough to make sense.

As to the up engined Rhino...I wouldn't say it's a pipe dream just yet. Word is Australia is getting serious. Anyone?