• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What do you Aviators and Flight Officers take in the cockpit with you?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I bring my pilot, most of the time...
d8fa42e9.jpg

whereisthreadgoing.jpg

jmcquate

Contributor
I take my gear list from Major Kong, USAF, as well.

If you're going to quote the movie, you've got to give some audio/visual help to the young'uns, jmquate!

Point well taken. Forgot I was an old fart. First time I saw the movie was in High School in history class. POE

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
For flying around or packed in your survival vest?

Flying around was a water bottle, candybars, Rice Krispie treats. Nothing too gut wrenching since I have had 8+ hour sorties strapped to an ejection seat. (Most sorties on OSW were double/triple cycle so about a 4.5).

Survival vest. Back-up radio, back-up batteries, extra flares. Nothing would suck worse than seeing the helo fly by and not being able to get their attention.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I forever carried a few years of excellent training, a personal sense of dedication, some awesome squadron camaraderie, and just the right amount of, and a well conditioned, agressive "attitude" to do the job.

Whatever 'superb' ;) talent I may have had, it was catapulted to much higher levels by those who taught me, those who led me, and those I served with.

Of course I also carried with me forever a few big and black, boot marks on my backside, which "may" have helped me too. :icon_wink

-----------------------------------------------------------

PS: But X-countries were different. What I carried in the blivet, in my bag, or on my person is none of your business! :eek::D

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
A stick of Beeman's gum and a length of broomstick.

I really try to take the minimum. Kneeboard, a pencil, a couple of pens. Something to drink or eat if it's going to be awhile. The more stuff you bring, the more you have to carry, and the more there is to FOD the cockpit if you forget it.

I like to minimize my "stuff."

Treetop Flyer

pilot
The only things I bring that don't have to do with flying is my wallet and phone in case we have to divert, and maybe a water bottle

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
"A fella could have a pretty good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff."

Fixed it!

Watch ol' Maj Kong's lips when he says the line. It was ADR'd in the movie so people wouldn't get their panties in a wad recalling the Kennedy assassination.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
^^ I think that joke comes up on every "What do you take with you" thread.

In the land of Orange and Whites: Water, and maybe a powerbar later on for longer flights.

Speaking of water, I saw a video the other day and the pilot had a camelbak-type arrangement hooked-up to her survival vest. Do any of y'all do that? If so, is it a specific, issued item or is it something that you have to jerry-rig with the PALS webbing?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Speaking of water, I saw a video the other day and the pilot had a camelbak-type arrangement hooked-up to her survival vest. Do any of y'all do that? If so, is it a specific, issued item or is it something that you have to jerry-rig with the PALS webbing?

I talked to Supply, got one, and gave it to the PR shop. They were specific on which ones were authorized. It's rigged up inside the vest and the drink tube is routed up for use. Fill from my Nalgene. I sweat like a hog up there and it works pretty well.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Water always. For longer flights, maybe a Diet Coke or some snacks. Maybe a sandwhich if Ops insists I fly through lunch (officers and gentlemen my butt).

And this time of year? Jacket, gloves and watch cap. You never know when you're going to spend a night in the helo, or worse, on the side of a mountain.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

I'd fly with a camelback all the time. I'd hang it from the hook in the cockpit where you could hang your PCL.
Always kept a camera in the bag because as an HT instructor once told me, 'you'll never know what you'll see when you're flying'.
If you're flying over land or to another ship, a change skivvies and a toothbrush were always good to have. Last thing you want to do it to go for 48 hours without brushing your teeth or changing you skivvies.