• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What do you Aviators and Flight Officers take in the cockpit with you?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
It's only a 55oz one, and I can barely shove it into my vest with 32oz of water in it. So it's smaller. But T-34 hops are 2 hrs max so it works for now. I'll re-evaluate when I get farther along if a larger one is a better idea.

It goes in the inside pocket of the vest that was designed for a map I believe. I wanted it on the outside but no joy with the PRs. It has the PALS webbing so it could, but for whatever reason it's a no go.

Dude, water bottle in the map case. It's a good excuse for the IP to take a pass in the pattern so you can drink and decompress. If you haven't started instruments yet, I can't imagine that big ass bladder on your stomach is going to make charts and plates easier to deal with. I still havent figured out how to get more water into the T45.

MasterBates

Afghanistan Triple Cycle Loadout in my vest (in addition to the standard gear)
Green Ski-Mask
M11 w/26 rounds
Camelbak bladder. Holds maybe a quart.

Crap in helmet bag for non-bailout use.
32oz water jug that fits in the E-2s cupholder. (I shit you not, we have one)
2-5 cans of diet coke. Sticking them under the ditching hatch handle is a good fridge at 25k.
Large Ziploc with 2-3 peices of fruit snuck out of Wardroom 3. Empty cans and fruit peels go back in the bag when done
Couple magazines. Beer, Maxim, Playboy, Penthouse, Dirt Rider, Motocross Action and Model Airplane News mostly.
iPod
Adapter to make iPod work with helmet.
Spare visor if it's a day to night flight. (I HATE not having a bungee double visor)
Candy bar and chocolate covered espresso beans if I am really dragging ass on the backside of my second triple cycle of the day.

MasterBates

No clue. I flew the 45 with a HGU-84, with double bungees. Then about 6 months into Krock it came back from an inspection with the slide visor.

Then the RAG took my -84 which fit PERFECT and had all the gucci shit (I had re-converted it to Bungee on my own) and gave me a POS used -68 that has never fit right. And the visor is not centered on the helmet.

Jet guys fly with double bungee for NVG purposes. Most of our NFOs have bungee visors. Pilots? not so much. And the slide visor is a FOD hazard when you have to change it in flight.

I may hold up the next WC130 audit until I get a non-shitty helmet.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Have you had the opportunity to fire the M9 as well? How does the M11 compare and why the preference to carry the M11 over the M9, is that a standard firearm for aviators?

Even us P-3 schlubs get M11's, so I'm pretty sure it's standard for aviators.

I'm a Sig guy anyway, but I just feel like the M11 is a better made weapon than the M9. In my opinion (I have shot both. . .):more reliable, more ergonomic, and it has a better beavertail in the back, so the dam slide doesn't try to take a chunk out of my hand when it cycles.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Even us P-3 schlubs get M11's, so I'm pretty sure it's standard for aviators.

I'm a Sig guy anyway, but I just feel like the M11 is a better made weapon than the M9. In my opinion (I have shot both. . .):more reliable, more ergonomic, and it has a better beavertail in the back, so the dam slide doesn't try to take a chunk out of my hand when it cycles.

I'm glad to hear that. I haven't shot an M9 that I liked yet. Sadly, I've yet to shoot a Sig, though I imagine that will change.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Have you had the opportunity to fire the M9 as well? How does the M11 compare and why the preference to carry the M11 over the M9, is that a standard firearm for aviators?

I think the M9 gets a bad rap, maybe a grudge holdover from displacing the 1911. It actually is an extremely accurate weapon and, for me at least, the pistol fits well and points well.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
It's a 228, which is basically a shorter 226 with a stamped slide. And yes I know it's a Sig, I'm saying I would rather carry it than the M9

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
I think the M9 gets a bad rap, maybe a grudge holdover from displacing the 1911. It actually is an extremely accurate weapon and, for me at least, the pistol fits well and points well.

You must have Shaq hands then.

Homer J

I'm with NAVAIR. I'm here to help you.
It's only a 55oz one, and I can barely shove it into my vest with 32oz of water in it. So it's smaller. But T-34 hops are 2 hrs max so it works for now. I'll re-evaluate when I get farther along if a larger one is a better idea.

It goes in the inside pocket of the vest that was designed for a map I believe. I wanted it on the outside but no joy with the PRs. It has the PALS webbing so it could, but for whatever reason it's a no go.

If you are wearing the CMU-36 vest, you can use the Camelbak 1.5 liter Pakteen. It is mounted on the outside of the vest on either the right or left front panel under your armpit. Have your PR's check out the NA13-1-6.7-4, Chapter 4, Page 4-4.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Pakteen was what we used. It clips nicely on to the vest; I had mine under the armpit and it was fairly comfy.

CamelBak used to make one called the Profile or something like, that lacked the pouches and straps and whatnot and was designed to fit under vests and such. I had one in the VT's and wore it under the SV-2 comfortably. For added value, freeze it overnight and let it cool you down during preflight and startup in a Pensacola August; by the time you're really thristy, it's melted.

The iPod switch was the most gougiest piece of gear to fly with, especially on the loooooooong boring-ass OEF flights or cross-countries to Fallon. You can do it with about $5 of parts from Radio Shack. New Guy gets DJ'ing responsibilites. Old Eddie Murphy routines make the time fly.