• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are you reading?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Broadly, I also recommend “ON KILLING REMOTELY: The Psychology of Killing with Drones“ by Wayne Phelps. It is less “academic” but a worthy read.

This is a good book that goes into a lot of what the RPA world experiences. There are some things that I was surprised to read in the book as I didn't realize they have been declassified. And, unlike some other VMU COs, Lt Col Phelps has the ability to put ideas to paper without sounding too emotional.

Definitely one of the better books to read if anyone is interested in what goes on in the RPA/drone/UAV community.

916YzL9DCKL._SL1500_.jpg

VMO4

Just finished Skunk Works, by Rice, very good read, in depth story of the development of the F-117, SR-71 and a few others. A. bit of Lockheed bias, (we were right, everybody else is wrong), but a good read.

Also finished Hell to Pay, on operation downfall and the invasion of Japan, not so much tactics as logistical buildup, and such interesting tidbits as the DOD playing games with casualty numbers to prepare the public for the upcoming bloodbath.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In the middle of this new title right now: America’s First Aircraft Carrier: USS Langley and the Dawn of US Naval Aviation.

Turns out there’s quite a lot more to the story of Langley than typically gets presented in histories. Usually all you get is something like ”Langley was the first US carrier, it was a converted coal ship, anyway let’s talk about Lexington and Saratoga.” Puts the ship in the context of a lot of the interwar Navy and national politics. Worth a read.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
In the middle of this new title right now: America’s First Aircraft Carrier: USS Langley and the Dawn of US Naval Aviation.

Turns out there’s quite a lot more to the story of Langley than typically gets presented in histories. Usually all you get is something like ”Langley was the first US carrier, it was a converted coal ship, anyway let’s talk about Lexington and Saratoga.” Puts the ship in the context of a lot of the interwar Navy and national politics. Worth a read.
You’ll read some great stuff about carrier development in the context of the existing naval treaties.

Mos

None
Stravidis is out with another future war novel, 2054. Haven't read it yet but heard him hawking it on NPR the other day, and sounded like there were pretty wild (and unpleasant) ideas about the what the future might look like.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
O
Stravidis is out with another future war novel, 2054. Haven't read it yet but heard him hawking it on NPR the other day, and sounded like there were pretty wild (and unpleasant) ideas about the what the future might look like.
ooo I have to give this a read. I loved 2034.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Malcom Gladwell, Talking to Strangers. How our human instincts to trust keeps biting us in the ass. Fascinating.
1711300759644.png

I'm waiting to dig into Justice Stephen Breyers book on constitutional textualism - I was for years devout fan of Scalia - but recent events are moving me towards understanding the falicies of the textualism movement and how it's probably time to abandon the concept.