• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are some tricks that IPs play on SA's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I just hate it when the IP started crying on me...
"Why god, did you let him through API? Why is he MY onwing? I don't wana die!"

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
Just out of curiosity, what's a pink sheet? I gather it's something bad that I wouldn't want...any further details to go along with that?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's what you get when you flunk something.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
I had one instructor who would hand me the controls, tell me to put him into a spin or an power-off stall or something... always try to trick me by giving me the plane with the flaps or the gear down and see if I noticed before I started my clearing turn...

Demento

Old Salt
About other situations . . .

Future Herc Driver said:
Im talking about like how they can mess with your gauges during ground run-up and other situations. Just trying to get a feel of what to look out for. Thanks

This goes back over a decade, but here were some challenges I used to pull while in the area:

Pull the PCL back during the climbout after the second or third ATS. The big six need to happen pretty quick.

Give a streaming fuel or fuel fumes EP while in the landing pattern. (After you have seen your first PPEL in the pattern.) The habit pattern for a PPEL in the pattern is to "Turn Climb Clean" but with streaming fuel or fuel fumes, you need to leave the gear down or you get the old "Boom, you just set us on fire."

Pull the PCL for an engine failure after you have just passed over a good field, ie. the field is right under your right or left wing and you won't see it at first glance. Keeping track of where the good emergency fields are as you fly along helps you beat that one.

Yes, the old "slave the compass off" is an old standard, as is the prop overspeed test button held in.

Best of luck. Keep studying those EP's and checklist details.

Future Herc Driver

About to start Tac phase in the Herc.
Thanks for the help everyone. I think he has pulled about all the tricks he can on me so far. He jacked with my RMI yesterday which I never thought to look for. Me:: "Uh, instruments...check" IP: "look again" Me::"Everything is in the green sir.... sh*t." Oh well, I guess thats how it goes. He also likes to pull my condition lever back right as I release the prop overspeed which makes the RPM return to 2000, not 2200. Tricky. Thanks again guys.

chiplee

Registered Boozer
pilot
Future Herc Driver said:
Thanks for the help everyone. I think he has pulled about all the tricks he can on me so far. He jacked with my RMI yesterday which I never thought to look for. Me:: "Uh, instruments...check" IP: "look again" Me::"Everything is in the green sir.... sh*t." Oh well, I guess thats how it goes. He also likes to pull my condition lever back right as I release the prop overspeed which makes the RPM return to 2000, not 2200. Tricky. Thanks again guys.

During forms when you're supposed to look each other's airplanes over IPs used to crack the canopy and let a strap or something hang out the back to see if you noticed. All that stuff is just driving home good habit patterns. the most important thing is to try not to get wrapped around the axle if you miss something. It's not the end of the world, just worry about it later and do your best with the rest of the flight. More than once an IP told me in the debrief that he liked how I didn't let early screw-ups in the flight get to me. Each new task is another chance to prove you're not a chuckle head. No matter how bad you've gooned it up already. Seriously, it can be the difference between a pink sheet and a stern talking too if it was something really bad so just put it behind you. ok, off the soap box now.

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
It was always fun to see the other plane's instructor's glove flapping in the wind outside the canopy during that first lookover...

Sometimes when you think they're messing with you, they're actually helping you out. On my FAM checkride, my IP retarded the throttle to idle near the highbridge in Corpus. We were departing after having done some pattern Precautionary landings.

Me: "Okay sir, I have an engine failure, returning to Navy Corpus..."

Him: "Hey retard, you're gear was still down, and we were at 151 knots."

NOSWO

Naval Aviator, MH-60S Knighthawk
Sad I cant remember the Nomenclature anymore and it was not that long ago lol, but on my FAM checkride he pulled the ENG RPM back on me as well as the flaps, luckily I had just got the Gouge on the guy right b4 the flight...its so easy to slide your hand back to flaps then fwd to the RPM control lever right b4 releasing breaks, but without the Gouge I prolly would never have caught it....

Status
Not open for further replies.