• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Watches and G Forces?

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
I wear mine when I fly, but I also fly with gloves so I feel like that mitigates the risk. I'm also not a guy that pops the mask off after fence out/prior to fence in FWIW

It doesn't. :( Sorry man, growing up on a farm, in a farming community, I know too many people missing left-hand ring fingers. Gloves do not prevent you from losing it when your full body weight comes down on it. It will still absolutely hook the side of the cockpit, or whatever, through the glove, and take your finger off.

I still fly with my ring on, and I wear gloves too...but I just accept the risk and move on. I justify it to myself this way: At least I'm wearing gloves (fingertips intact and all).

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
On a side not, my Omega Seamaster has been through everything I could throw at it and then some and it's still going strong. Amazing watch and I love it. I need to get some band service done to it but other then that it's in great shape. The crystal bezel hasn't scratched once and I've had it nine years.
You need to get more than just some band service done if it is 9 years old. The oils in the movement break down with time whether the watch is running or not. It needs a good cleaning and new oil about every 5 years.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
You need to get more than just some band service done if it is 9 years old. The oils in the movement break down with time whether the watch is running or not. It needs a good cleaning and new oil about every 5 years.

If the watch is still keeping accurate time and not losing more than a few seconds a day then, I've always been told that the loss of time over a day is more important in the servicing of a mechanical watch vice the age.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
If the watch is still keeping accurate time and not losing more than a few seconds a day then, I've always been told that the loss of time over a day is more important in the servicing of a mechanical watch vice the age.
Movement parts can have excessive wear and still keep time. I know a lot of guys that ended up having to have parts replaced when the watch did start losing time because of lack of proper lubrication. Think of it as prevnetive maintenance. You can pay for a service now, or a repair during a service later.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Movement parts can have excessive wear and still keep time. I know a lot of guys that ended up having to have parts replaced when the watch did start losing time because of lack of proper lubrication. Think of it as prevnetive maintenance. You can pay for a service now, or a repair during a service later.

Good point, I guess I should probably get some service done on my Fortis then!

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
If it's the same mishap I'm thinking of, it was during a ground egress of an AV-8B, and the guy did as you said. The photo of his missing finger was in full blown form in an Approach issue several years ago. I wear mine when I fly, but I also fly with gloves so I feel like that mitigates the risk. I'm also not a guy that pops the mask off after fence out/prior to fence in FWIW

His call sign is Shocker. He's the reason my ring goes in my CEP case.

KBayDog

His call sign is Shocker. He's the reason my ring goes in my CEP case.

Yup.

Before I leave "upstairs," my ring goes in my upper left flight suit pocket. I don't even go into the barn, much less the flightline, wearing my ring. When I'm sentenced to the boat, the ring goes into my pocket before I take one foot off the pier...and stays locked up any time I'm on the boat during a deployment. There are way too many ways on the boat to get a ring caught.

Besides, I'm a chopper dude, and would never get a bitchin' callsign like "Shocker." I'd get something more along the lines of "Dumbass."

Such a callsign would be well-deserved.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Besides, I'm a chopper dude, and would never get a bitchin' callsign like "Shocker." I'd get something more along the lines of "Dumbass."

There's a Cobra "Shocker" too. He degloved his ring finger catching it on the canopy and falling. It made "Approach" some time ago.

phrogpilot73

I accidentally stabbed myself in the knuckle with a knife a while back, and now it requires a significant amount of work (and pain) to get my ring off. Cold water is usually involved to lubricate and shrink my finger... If I forget to take it off before I leave the hangar, I'm pretty much stuck. So, I take my sweet time on preflight/manning/getting out to try and mitigate...

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I accidentally stabbed myself in the knuckle with a knife a while back, and now it requires a significant amount of work (and pain) to get my ring off. Cold water is usually involved to lubricate and shrink my finger... If I forget to take it off before I leave the hangar, I'm pretty much stuck. So, I take my sweet time on preflight/manning/getting out to try and mitigate...

You know you can get that resized for like $40, right?

KBayDog

The ring, not the knuckle.

Moose_Knuckle_Tattoo_by_Yo_G.jpg

phrogpilot73

You know you can get that resized for like $40, right?
HOLY SHIT! Why didn't I think of that?!?

Maybe it's because my ring has intricate laser engraved greek keys on it, and resizing it will destroy it. Or so the jeweler told me...

It's pretty much pay close to a grand for a new ring, or use cold water to get it off. And if I forget - take my chances...