• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VMFAT-101 Update

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I don't agree with that, if only because there are lots of ways for SWOs, et al to fuck it away too.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
We had a really nice and in depth brief about it for a Safety Stand Down from the ASO School folks, complete with min my min analysis of the decision making from all parties and some gucci visuals compiled from the data tapes. Don't know why they would give it to studs in the HTs and not active squadrons...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
......We care more (collectively) about maintaining the illusion of immunity than we do about learning from our mishaps.

The lessons learned are there. We just refuse to disseminate them adequately......

This! When I went through training with the USAF during Nav school I saw how much better they were about disseminating lessons learned from mishaps. Our USAF folks here can speak smarter about it but that was what I saw years ago and from what I know it still holds true.

The USAF even publishes results from their investigations for the public to see on this site, something that I was unaware of until someone here linked to it a few weeks ago.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
ASO school goes through the entire mishap with visuals and radio. Very good analysis yet very scary/sad. The Djibouti mishap phrogpilot talks about is also discussed. It really is unfortunate we don't disseminate this information more readily. HAZREPs are very good at what they do and I think SIRs can have an equal, if not greater, impact.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
That's a bullshit reason not to see SIRs widely disseminated - it doesn't matter whether or not reports are easily accessed if the admiral reaches out to get a copy and then uses that to shoot mishap crew members.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Can't claim privilege for that from a subpoena. If a DA or a civil litigator wants to see it......he's gonna see it.

JMCQUATE, if you're implying that FOIA requests will break down the concept of privilege...? You're wrong. The Navy's concept of privilege with specific respect to Safety Investigation Reports (SIRs) has been challenged all the way to SCOTUS - and upheld.

My point is that the more people end up getting read into the specifics of mishaps, the greater the chance of the information being used for unintended purposes. Its a balancing act between getting the information out to those who can best benefit from it while at the same time not just posting it on America's "all read board"...

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
My point is that the more people end up getting read into the specifics of mishaps, the greater the chance of...

.....those people NOT making the same mistakes.

This is what we say that we want. We should either admit that we don't really care in the long run or post the mishaps like the USAF does.

Pick one.

Just, for the love of GOD, quit treating mishap data like it was TS/SCI information and hoarding it amongst the nerds while everybody else trades rumors on what they heard somebody said that they thought happened...

.....and learning nothing.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Just, for the love of GOD, quit treating mishap data like it was TS/SCI information and hoarding it amongst the nerds while everybody else trades rumors on what they heard somebody said that they thought happened...

+100. My own knowledge of mishaps within my own community (T/M/S that is) is normally limited to the rumor mill. I've probably read a book worth of Hazreps though :)

KBayDog

The USAF even publishes results from their investigations for the public to see on this site, something that I was unaware of until someone here linked to it a few weeks ago.

Great find, thanks for the link. I can't believe I've never heard of this either...and I can't believe we don't have something like this. Just by quickly perusing a few of the short summaries, I've already picked up a few nuggets I could use to keep me out of trouble in the future (or, at the very least, reinforce previous lessons I've learned). They also gave me an insight into how pilots handled different scenarios, from which I could see what worked and what didn't.

We need this.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
data release,
seems to me, rank and risk adversity are inversley proportional. not likely to change anytime soon.

magnetfreezer

Great find, thanks for the link. I can't believe I've never heard of this either...and I can't believe we don't have something like this. Just by quickly perusing a few of the short summaries, I've already picked up a few nuggets I could use to keep me out of trouble in the future (or, at the very least, reinforce previous lessons I've learned). They also gave me an insight into how pilots handled different scenarios, from which I could see what worked and what didn't.

We need this.

Just to clarify, those are the AIB (Air Force version of the JAGMAN); they are not allowed to consider aircrew statements given under privilege or other privileged evidence. SIBs are not releasable outside the target AF audience. I will agree, though that the AF is good at sharing those w/in the safety community and the "read-in" if the FSO thinks it would be useful is generally the required annual 10 min powerpoint on protecting privilege. Even the AIB has the protection at the end against the board president's opinion on the cause, etc being used in legal proceedings to encourage open discussion.

Pags

N/A
pilot
+100. My own knowledge of mishaps within my own community (T/M/S that is) is normally limited to the rumor mill. I've probably read a book worth of Hazreps though :)
If you haven't already, sign up for a WAMHRS/WESS account. I assume if you're getting HAZREPs then you have one, but if you don't, get one. If you already have one, then you should also be getting all of your community's mishap reports. If you aren't, ask your ASO to look at your permissions so you get all reports.

Finally, you should always feel free to ask your Safety department to find old SIRs. If they can't, then call the Safety Center. They exist to support the fleet and your platform's rep should be able to find the info you're requesting. The info is out there, but like most things in the Navy it's not handed to you on a platter, you have to go digging (which is unfortunate in this case).