• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VMFAT-101 Update

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I will do that. I'm sure the ASO at the RAG would have hooked me up (he was my class advisor after all) had I asked, but I guess I didn't think to. Learn something new every day on AW!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FWIW, I don't know of many non Safety Officers/ASOs in the fleet who have WESS accounts, let alone RAG studs. Your RAG ASO will (should) brief you on things that concern you (just like in the fleet), otherwise, concentrate on your syllabus.

Brett

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
FWIW, all of the HT instructors have to read a big fat binder of H-57 mishap summaries- before they start instructor training (to set the tone) and then a few months later before they first fly with students (when the technical details make more sense). It takes a few hours to get through it if you legitimately pay attention and don't gloss over anything. Having to sit down to read all that is probably at least as effective if not more effective than preaching at grown adults/winged aviators.

The binder covers 2+ million flight hours and two or three decades of experience so... yeah... you could say there is some good gouge in there.

Not necessarily a cut-and-paste perfect fit for all communities every T/M/S, just food for thought.

Pags

N/A
pilot
FWIW, I don't know of many non Safety Officers/ASOs in the fleet who have WESS accounts, let alone RAG studs. Your RAG ASO will (should) brief you on things that concern you (just like in the fleet), otherwise, concentrate on your syllabus.

Brett
Everyone at my current squadron has one to allow them to do initial mishap reports as CDO. Not sure how other squadrons are handling this.

KBayDog

Having to sit down to read all that is probably at least as effective if not more effective than preaching at grown adults/winged aviators.

The binder covers 2+ million flight hours and two or three decades of experience so... yeah... you could say there is some good gouge in there.

^What he said. After 2+ million flight hours in a very simple aircraft, it's crystal clear that anything that can go wrong, has already gone wrong. That binder (which is pretty current, BTW), is good shit, and the lessons contained within have already flashed through my mind a few times a few times in various real-world situations. It has also given me insight into why our practices and procedures are the way they are...which I pass on to the studs, who tend to be at the stage where they press the "I Believe" button on things, rather than dig and discover the reasoning behind why we do what we do.

We in the military like to throw out the "Failure of Leadership" line whenever anything goes wrong. Well, if you're reinventing the wheel (i.e., hurting people and breaking aircraft) because you weren't proactive and didn't do the homework and learn all you can about your profession, that's a failure of leadership on your part.

MIDNJAC - You're absolutely right to seek out any and all information about mishaps involving your aircraft (and others - there are a lot of FW mishaps whose lessons are easily transferable to the RW world). Do not wait for someone to spoon-feed it to you. I do not want to have another AW memorial fund because you balled up your jet in a mishap that has happened before, and whose "lessons learned" would have kept you alive and kept your jet in the air.

FWIW, I'm not an ASO, but I always give my studs a quick case study on a midair collision involving a C-130 and an AH-1 whenever they discuss FACSFAC (usually during the dreaded Airspace Brief). It's a good study in the capabilities and limitations of FACSFAC, as well as lesson in the need to always remain vigilant at helicopter altitudes, to see-and-avoid, etc. If that case study stands out in one stud's mind and he remembers to keep his...and his crews...head on a swivel at all times, it was well worth the time it took to research, digest, and share the lessons of a mishap that had nothing to do with my T/M/S.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Brett

Not in the RAG anymore, but roger that...I have plenty of studying for my level II and beyond :). I remember I accidentally signed up for a WESS acct for some other reason while in the VT's, and the ASO just laughed.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good times then. Welcome to the real world. :D Just read the message traffic and you'll be a step ahead of your contemporaries. If you haven't figured out where all that is in Outlook, ask your DH.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Everyone at my current squadron has one to allow them to do initial mishap reports as CDO. Not sure how other squadrons are handling this.

There's no time limit on HAZREPs, so usually the Safety Office generates it and forwards it on to the front office. Most people don't have an account, in my experience. Besides, NMCI would be even slower with all the HAZREP spam. Check a HAZREP email some time. The attached .pdf (if included) is actually SMALLER than the size (in bytes) of the addressee list. Kind of ridiculous.

Pags

N/A
pilot
There's no time limit on HAZREPs, so usually the Safety Office generates it and forwards it on to the front office. Most people don't have an account, in my experience. Besides, NMCI would be even slower with all the HAZREP spam. Check a HAZREP email some time. The attached .pdf (if included) is actually SMALLER than the size (in bytes) of the addressee list. Kind of ridiculous.
Yeah, this was only for initial mishap notification stuff that our duty officers need to be able to do if an ASO is unavailable. Most of us have the hazrep notification because of the reason you mentioned.