• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VMFAT-101 Update

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Reading the article, and the comments makes me wonder how much culturally has changed there. I'll defer to the pros at 101, but their take on mx seems different than the other sea going branch.

CAMike

None
Contributor
$17M. I think the judge was overly generous. From reading the responses from the survivors- I think deep down they think the same. I think it's terribly sad that this accident occurred and that's exactly what it was- an accident. The attorneys are the parasites in our society that feed off of others misfortune and are the ones driving these large settlements. They also have a vested interest in making sure this financial gravy train continues.

As a country we can't fiscally continue down this road. I feel for the survivors but no amount of money can revive their loved ones.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
If you can get a hold of the SIR - and why it's not briefed annually to nuggets I'll never know - it makes for some "holy shit" reading.

Why it's not briefed to MMCPOs, MMCOs, QAOs, etc on a quarterly basis.... Think what you want, but that event does not occur if the stud is NORDO. I think that's vague enough to post here - Mods, if I'm wrong please remove the last sentence.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Why it's not briefed to MMCPOs, MMCOs, QAOs, etc on a quarterly basis.... Think what you want, but that event does not occur if the stud is NORDO. I think that's vague enough to post here - Mods, if I'm wrong please remove the last sentence.

Right on the money...I would add the front office to that list as well.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
$17M. I think the judge was overly generous. From reading the responses from the survivors- I think deep down they think the same. I think it's terribly sad that this accident occurred and that's exactly what it was- an accident. The attorneys are the parasites in our society that feed off of others misfortune and are the ones driving these large settlements. They also have a vested interest in making sure this financial gravy train continues.

As a country we can't fiscally continue down this road. I feel for the survivors but no amount of money can revive their loved ones.

I don't know about this...This man's family was destroyed...utterly. Two daughters, wife...mother-in-law...ok, that might be a bonus..I KEED I KEED!

If this were simply an accident...if the government, operating under the reasonable man theory, did everything right, then I'd agree with you and this would be frivolous...Without delving into the realm of privledge...it seems clear that the court didn't agree that the government exercised reasonable measures to prevent this from occuring. I agree.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
...Without delving into the realm of privledge...

For those of you wondering why this isn't mandatory reading for TACAIR, MMCOs, etc......

This is why.

We care more (collectively) about maintaining the illusion of immunity than we do about learning from our mishaps.

The lessons learned are there. We just refuse to disseminate them adequately.

Yeah, yeah.....I know. I'm a safety violator who doesn't care about safety......blah, blah, blah.....

phrogpilot73

I couldn't agree with HD more. As a former ASO - I never understood why privilege was all-arching. Hey, guess what? There are other people who could learn about this - that should be included in our "privilege" bubble if we really wanted to reduce the mishap rate.

I was on my FAC tour, and asked one of the pilots in the ACE about the Shitter mid-air in Djibouti. At that point, I was outside the privilege bubble and no one would give me the details. Hey fuckers - I might actually fly again. Assbags. Privilege is a good thing, the way we do it is royally fucked up.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
It was used as a VERY big teaching tool at NLC RAG's, a lot of learning came from it, not sure if it still does.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
If you can get a hold of the SIR - and why it's not briefed annually to nuggets I'll never know - it makes for some "holy shit" reading.

It is briefed ad nasuem to all the new RAG students at -101, and there is a copy on file for any aircrew interested to read. RHPF, I'd be glad to share the details with you next time I see you if you are still interested. It did change a lot of things about how -101 and Miramar gun squadrons fly Hornets around socal airspace wrt emergencies, and brought up a lot of other stuff. Bottom line, -101 doesn't bring single engine emergencies back over the beach to NKX for really any reason.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Oh, I know it's briefed to you guys, but not in other communities - and I think there are useful lessons learned for all flyers (pilots, NFOs, aircrew) in that one.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
ASOs (and the front office) should know the reasoning behind privilege and not hide behind it as an excuse. Privilege doesn't mean "need to know," it means that the privileged information is kept "in the family," which is to mean in DON.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Oh, I know it's briefed to you guys, but not in other communities - and I think there are useful lessons learned for all flyers (pilots, NFOs, aircrew) in that one.

Yes, I would agree that there absolutely were. Not arguing that wider distribution wouldn't have been warranted. That being said, I have yet to see an SIR from any community aside from my own, and honestly, this mishap is probably the only SIR I've ever actually read from the Hornet community, in spite of the half dozen or so since I've been flying them.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
ASOs (and the front office) should know the reasoning behind privilege and not hide behind it as an excuse. Privilege doesn't mean "need to know," it means that the privileged information is kept "in the family," which is to mean in DON.

DON no...Naval Aviation? Yes.