• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Verbal section preparation - test tomorrow!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airman Rob

Hey All,

Write the ASTB tomorrow - any advice on nailing the verbal part of the MVT. I'm using the USMC guide for the balance of the studying - any advice/input would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Rob

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Trust your instincts. Stick with your first choice ... 9 times out of 10 it will be right!

jason12

the verbal section on that test is a joke...seriously that is the last part of the test you wanna worry about...we're talkin read five or six lines and figure out the main idea of the passage....piece of cake..

"IF ONE ADVANCES CONFIDENTLY IN THE DIRECTION OF HIS DREAMS,
AND ENDEAVORS TO LIVE THE LIFE WHICH HE HAS IMAGINED, HE WILL MEET WITH A SUCCESS UNEXPECTED IN COMMON HOURS."

sonnyb

yeah, i agree with jason12. I wouldn't worry about the verbal section that much. I believe it's just reading a paragraph and choosing the main topic.

Airman Rob

How did you guys find that it compared to the ARCO sample exams - I found that the ARCO stuff was tricky. Particularly those ones where they give a whole paragraph and then say -.... one of the words is out of place; replace it with on of the following a,b,c,d, etc

Are there any synonyms/antonyms or that sort of thing??
I get the impression that all the verbal section questions are just "what is the main idea"...
Jason12 - I read your previous post after your test - thanks for that!!
Thanks
Rob

soulshaker14

My .02 on the ARCO book is that it is a joke. The SAT section isn't too bad, with the exception of the mistakes in the examples (as homer would say, "doh!"). But the rest of the book seems to be worthless. I kicked a$$ on the ARCO book's practice test, but then blew the actual test about a week ago (form 1). My advice, use the materials on this site. Good luck to ya

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Eat a good meal and get a good nights sleep. Stop studying. If you dont know it now. You wont know it for tmrw. Relax, and dont stress.

Dave

jason12

yea i'm goin with dave on this one.....you aren't gonna pick up any complex algebra or geometry skills overnight to figure out for the test....if you took geo. and algebra in High School that will suffice if you can remember some stuff...don't try to memorize anything as it just confuses you when it comes to math, just know the formulas that are basic and general blah blah blah...Pythagorean, SOHCAHTOA...and all that fun stuff.....most important relaxxxxxx. believe me you'll be surprised at how straight forward the test is its not like the SAT where they deliberately try to trick you out of picking the correct answer most of the stuff i saw was cut and dry....As far as the ARCO books, don't even waste your time i found more mistakes in that book than any "study" guide i've ever seen take the marine guide know the concepts of it and believe me you'll pass...i offer a money back guarantee.......offer void if you don't pass lol........good luck!!

AND ENDEAVORS TO LIVE THE LIFE WHICH HE HAS IMAGINED, HE WILL MEET WITH A SUCCESS UNEXPECTED IN COMMON HOURS."

Airman Rob

Thanks guys - spending another hour or 2 just reminding myself on good old stuff like buoyancy, etc... then gonna hit the sack for some serious Z's - be sure to let you guys know how it went....
Quick question: in the USMC guide, on bouyancy... question #26 and #27. Bouyancy is calculated by volume x density of water x gravity. Assuming balloon doesn't expand or contract, it should be the same bouyancy at any depth. If it contracts with depth due to pressure, its volume is lower, therefore buoyancy is less....
Answer given is that bouyancy increases with depth???? Any ideas????

jason12

nah bro you gotta read what i said about goin the simplistic route....if you look too far into it you'll get messed up, they figure on the airtight ball being harder to pull up at a lower depth as there is more pressure acting on it, so the answer would be B-down deep, and its more bouyant in question 27 for the same reason, seems like physics gets retarded a bit on the ASTB

Airman Rob

Jason12 ...
Because there is more pressure on it - it contracts, therefore decreasing its volume and bouyancy - which proves my earlier point.... anyway, whatever!!
Just got back from the test - totally blew out the MVT section.. think my brain was working really slowly. I didn't finish, by like 12-13 questions. Most of the verbal stuff seemed to take forever....
Anyway, scores were : 7/8/6 OAR 55
Pretty sure I'll do a re-write....
Also found the spatial ones quite a bit more tricky than the USMC guide or the ARCO book....

Airman Rob

One more thing - is the form 2 more math problems or word problems than form 1. And are the problems all as similar to the USMC guide as form 1 is??
Thanks
Rob

Meridiani

Rob, your scores are totally decent. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about retaking the test. Just my $0.02.

Bserton

You missed that many MVT questions and you still got a 55 OAR? Wow. I agree with Meridiani. That is a good score. I'd stick with it.

jason12

from what i understand the Form 2 ASTB is more geometry and less word problems.....but i'd stick with those scores too those are definitely competitive and if you have a solid GPA you'll be fine....congrats!....

-p.s. i wasn't tryin to disprove your theory on physics in that above comment i'm just sayin go the simplistic route don't try to apply a formula to it when you can use common sense and i said that for the exact reason in the problem you said you had...TIME...seems like they give you just enough to finish but just barely...

Status
Not open for further replies.