• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vance Or Bust!!!

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
They'll probably tell single guys that you have to stay in the dorms. Last I knew this didn't apply to us.

That's the loop-hole I used to get out... there was a memo from the Base CO saying "All Air Force JSUPT students must live in the dorms."

If you made a small stink and had the Navy Liason office call the housing office... They'd let you out, because technically.. you're a Navy student and fall under Navy Flight Training.

They got mad because I knew the gouge and escaped the dorms... they had the base CO draft a new letter mandating all students to live in the dorms if they aren't atleast 90% full. So, I was the last to use that trick... I've seen three Navy students put up some big fights, and get defeated. There's no way to escpae the dorms now unless they are full.

skotc9

honestly, before i went to vance i thought that everyone was b!tching. they were 100% right. it sucks, but it's only five months. but there is really nothing you need to do to get ahead. they hold your hand for the whole program, so there's nothing to get a jump on.

FlytheBall

Maybe, maybe not, maybe go fvck yourself.
pilot
My favorite was how they tried to sell Vance to all the API kids. "You'll class up faster etc" I almost fell for it too. I dont know why they cant send us to one of the better bases. Thank god i didnt fall for it though. If I would have wanted to train with the AF I would be wearing a blue uniform now.

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
I don't know anyone who flies a chopper. I know a few people who ride them.

Not to get off topic, but... I knew helos were like lawn mowers in most respects, so I guess it does make some sense that you would "ride" them not "fly" them. I guess the main difference is the location of the blades.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
My favorite was how they tried to sell Vance to all the API kids. "You'll class up faster etc" I almost fell for it too.

BULLSH!T ALERT

I got Vanced... two of the guys here with me volunteered for Vance. We spent the same amount of time in A-pool at Pensacola. People that reported aboard with me who are in Corpus now classed up jsut a quickly as I did... even after I was Voluntold for Vance. So... it's all just a play to get people to volunteer.

Hursel110

None
Not to get off topic, but... I knew helos were like lawn mowers in most respects, so I guess it does make some sense that you would "ride" them not "fly" them. I guess the main difference is the location of the blades.

Could be wrong here, but I think HH-60H was talking about "chopper" as in a motorcycle, rather than a helo.

FlytheBall

Maybe, maybe not, maybe go fvck yourself.
pilot
I showed up to intermediate here and there are some vance boys who started AF primary back when i started API, so it that case it took them longer and it felt like it took me eternity to finish primary. Of course it feels like i am in eternity here as well..guess you just have to wait until you are in advanced and you get to see your nametag hanging in the display case with wings on it before it really feels like you are moving somewhere and accomplishing something besides turn patterns and stalls.

Jay

Comparing the T-6 to the T-34 is like comparing a lexus with a pile of my own feces, there's absolutely no comparison, hate to break the bad news.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Comparing the T-6 to the T-34 is like comparing a lexus with a pile of my own feces, there's absolutely no comparison, hate to break the bad news.
Man, good thing you're gonna be flying the T-6 instead of the T-34 for the rest of your career...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
Um...NO it isn't. Norman, OKC and Tulsa are all bigger than Enid.. Lawton where FT Sill is, is also bigger, as well as Stillwater....Get out a little bit dude, I was stationed in OKC and while, yes, I admit, there are better places to be, Oklahoma is really not THAT bad....go fishing, camping, go to the dunes and go dune buggying, go to Lake Arcadia and water Ski, there are also some NICE golf Courses around there...

Just my two cents....

For all you younger guys that have only lived in Pensacola, Vance, Corpus, Kingsville, Meridian, etc...you are going to be in some CRAPPY places in your Navy career (I would argue that ALL the aforementioned places suck)
But here is what makes the Difference:
YOUR ATTITUDE
THE PEOPLE YOU ARE WITH; WHEREVER you may live

You forgot to mention that Norman has INCREDIBLY hot girls.

pdx

HSM Pilot

Please, could we be a little more melodramatic.

Why such animosity toward the -34? It has trained a generation of naval aviators. No doubt the T-6 is newer, shinier, and more powerful, but how exactly is it "incomparably" better than the T-34.

More power? Neat. Sometimes I wished the T-34 had more (like at the top of an Immelman), but I still had a damn good time. Interesting to note, the T-6 has about the same amount of power as the old T-28 Trojan.

Glass cockpit? Almost. My gauges showed the same info.

Flies the pattern 20 kts faster? Whoa, there's no comparison.

Cruises 40 kts faster? Wow, see above.

Ejection seat? Sure, that would have been comforting. But last time I checked, ejecting isn't exactly a whole lot of fun.

So the real question is did you drink too much kool-aid at Vance, or are you bitter about something in Navy primary?

Ejection seat? Sure, that would have been comforting. But last time I checked, ejecting isn't exactly a whole lot of fun.

True. I'd rather open the canopy, unbuckle, climb out on the wing and tuck and roll for my fun. Forget the whole "getting to live/fly another day" thing, ejecting isn't fun and therefore is a downside to the T-6.