• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vance Or Bust!!!

pdx

HSM Pilot
Before this gets too far off on a tangent, my point was that the T-34 is not a pile of ****. It isn't a bad plane, even if it is not as good as the T-6. If anyone thinks they are going to be bored, miserable, or poorly trained by flying the T-34, it isn't true.

True. I'd rather open the canopy, unbuckle, climb out on the wing and tuck and roll for my fun. Forget the whole "getting to live/fly another day" thing, ejecting isn't fun and therefore is a downside to the T-6.

I didn't say the ejection seat was a downside to the T-6. It is a plus. I just don't think an ejection seat makes a plane more enjoyable to fly. I derive more peace of mind from my training and abilities than I do from a piece of contingency equipment.

Now I fly without an ejection seat OR a parachute, and I fully intend to live to fly for many more days. I guess we will see how it works out for me.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I didn't say the ejection seat was a downside to the T-6. It is a plus.

Disagree. Unless hungover, I hated the face leech. I was ecstatic that I only had 2 flights that required it in Primary...but then again I have a huge nose and they "don't custom fit masks until we know you're getting jets..."

edit: not that I've EVER flown except when "free from the effects" of alcohol consumption
~D

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Disagree. Unless hungover, I hated the face leech. I was ecstatic that I only had 2 flights that required it in Primary.

That was exactly how I felt about the 02 mask, but not because of a big nose.;) I absolutely hated wearing it on the BI flights, damn hose got in the way among other things. That and having to strap into the parachute were some of the reasons I decided to go helos early on.

Chubby

That was exactly how I felt about the 02 mask, but not because of a big nose.;) I absolutely hated wearing it on the BI flights, damn hose got in the way among other things. That and having to strap into the parachute were some of the reasons I decided to go helos early on.
You'd be surprised how quickly you get used to it and it becomes a non-issue.

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
T-34 has BETA. We could land on any runway.

T-6....no BETA. I'm just guessing here, but you need prolly 6000' to land that thing. (per NATOPS?) Greatly reduces your options on cross countries (if you even do them at Vance)...not to mention emergency divert fields.

Oh and we got a cooler paint job. DON'T CROSS INTO THE BLUE. OK obviously the t-6 is better, but I gotta bi tch about something.

Jay

Spoken from someone who has obviously flown both.

Flew enough of the T-34 to realize what I was missing after seeing the T-6 demo at an airshow. BTW, I'm not bitter, can't speak for everyone, but I GOT what I wanted.

NavyLonghorn

T-34 has BETA. We could land on any runway.

T-6....no BETA. I'm just guessing here, but you need prolly 6000' to land that thing. (per NATOPS?) Greatly reduces your options on cross countries (if you even do them at Vance)...not to mention emergency divert fields.

T-6 did just find with the 5,000 feet available at Eastside.

Where is this magical awsome cross country local everyone would be missing out on cause the runway is too short anyways?

Id challenge you to name even one popular location that doesnt have an international airport or military airfield.

Id never defend the AF, im just saying.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Not to get off topic, but... I knew helos were like lawn mowers in most respects, so I guess it does make some sense that you would "ride" them not "fly" them. I guess the main difference is the location of the blades.

"It's a chopper, baby, it's a chopper."

Do you know what the last C in OCC stands for?

HELICOPTERS ARE NOT CHOPPERS.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
Another quick bit of Vance gouge:

Base Cops are speed-ticket happy (as all bases are) but quite a few of the streets on base are 15mph. Including the main drag to the main gate.

And local cops are even MORE ticket-giddy. Three people in my class so far have recieved tickets. one guy for going 3 miles over the 45mph limit. The other two were each 4mph over the limit.

It seems most people who've been here awhile have atleast one ticket of some sort by the end of their endeavor...

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
"It's a chopper, baby, it's a chopper."

HELICOPTERS ARE NOT CHOPPERS.

hehe...
get-to-the-choppa.jpg

Funny, all the talk about the color of the AF T-6's vs. the Navy 34's white/orange scheme. The Navy elected to keep their T-6's the same colors as the AF...

1053581.jpg

On another note, does one have to pay anything when they are required to live on base?

-jai5w4