• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vance/moody Bubbas Read!

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Ok. Finishing my first set of on-wings from Air Force Primary (ironically one was a AF acad grad who cross-commissioned). They came from Vance/T-6s. The Air Force apparently LOVES to use HOT MIKE or VOX.

One is doing well with the adoptation, and the other, well, I'll see his lips moving and know that he is saying something that I can't hear. We're on FAM 8. If I didn't care about his success with the rest of the IPs, I'd let him use HOT MIKE...as it doesn't bother me, but I know some IPs that would UNSAT him for it down the road.

Please, for the love of God, request on any flights you can to use cold mike, because that's what you'll use when you get to the Navy side of the house. All helo bubbas that I know do not use VOX or HOT MIKE.

Advanced IPs chime in with this too?

Circle K

pilot
Not an advanced IP, but I never remember using hot mike in the 57. If anything it was the first switch you checked if anything didn't seem right with Comms/ICS. However, in LAMPS, VOX is regularly used and as long as you set it correctly, much easier than push to talk.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not an advanced IP, but I never remember using hot mike in the 57. If anything it was the first switch you checked if anything didn't seem right with Comms/ICS. However, in LAMPS, VOX is regularly used and as long as you set it correctly, much easier than push to talk.

It's quite the effort to move your left foot that whole two inches... I keed.

What I always found amusing was when guys wanted to use VOX because it was "easier" but then they're constantly adjusting the setting as we go from slow to the no-hear zone and back again. Personally, I don't like VOX, and would only use it if I was in the back or when I was on hour 3 or 4 and my left knee couldn't take it anymore and needed to be stretched out behind the pedals.

MasterBates

I used COLD MIC exclusively in the HTs, except on one flight when we had an EP and the IP decided to go Hot, just so neither missed something.

In HSL, I only used VOX. Never used PTT.

When in Rome, do as Romans do.

So far here, it seems to be IP preference in the Sim.. So I do whatever the sim IP wants.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
Yeah it was a pain for me to adapt going from Vance to the HT's. Why don't they let you use hot mic at the HT's? We use it at the RAG so I'm guessing that's how it's done in the fleet.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Hot Mike? Is that what you call your boyfriend? :)

Anyways...I used PTT in flight school, but VOX in the RAG and the fleet. I like VOX, and don't have too many problems with the settings. Some folks in the squadron like it, others don't. Use whatever works for ya.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
The civilian (general aviation) world uses hot mike (from my experience) so if you have any guys with prior flight time this is probably where they're coming from. I know I'm trying to adjust with it, especially the whole "up is out and down is in" for radio calls.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Yeah it was a pain for me to adapt going from Vance to the HT's. Why don't they let you use hot mic at the HT's? We use it at the RAG so I'm guessing that's how it's done in the fleet.

I, personally, don't care. It will drive about 75% of the IPs here nuts if the stud keys the mike while trying to fly (Hot Mike).

I can also listen to a radio station with static in the background, which drives my wife nuts...guess it's like that.

When I got to the fleet, I used VOX in the RAG, but then always PTT in the Fleet. Ironic that PAGS is in my old squadron...

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I think hot mic is a T-6 thing. I remember that part of the comms set up per the T-6 systems/procedures class is to put the switch to hot mic.

llnick2001

pilot
It will drive about 75% of the IPs here nuts if the stud keys the mike while trying to fly (Hot Mike).

That's for sure. You're doing your studs a favor by forcing them to change, I just always found it odd that hot mic wasn't used more there.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
This was a HUGE problem for me when I started in the HT's a few months ago. At Vance, you ALWAYS fly on hot-mike.... even in the sims... it's just how it's done.

I think it's because they want to hear you say EVERY dity... but I don't know.

I wouldn't even know how to fly the T-6 cold-mike....

It took me till my Contact Checkride to get the whole "Foot Switch - Mouth" coordination down.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The civilian (general aviation) world uses hot mike (from my experience) so if you have any guys with prior flight time this is probably where they're coming from. I know I'm trying to adjust with it, especially the whole "up is out and down is in" for radio calls.
You're experience is obviously limited. I flew GA for 16+ years before moving into commercial aviation and the airlines. I never used or and rarely heard of anyone else using a hot mike.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You're experience is obviously limited. I flew GA for 16+ years before moving into commercial aviation and the airlines. I never used or and rarely heard of anyone else using a hot mike.

I think people are confusing Hot Mic w/ VOX. Every GenAv plane I've flown in used VOX, which if set incorrectly, will become Hot Mic. Illnick, I'm guessing you don't fly w/ Hot Mic in the rag, except maybe the crewman during external loads/SAR. Again, it's VOX. No one wants to hear your heavy breathing...unless you're a chick and hot.

llnick2001

pilot
Fair enough. That's true it is VOX. At Vance though, it was hot mic. Solo's were strange because you didn't hear anyone else breathing.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
VOX = Voice operated Transmission = No static heard until someone talked (or coughed, sneezed, cussed, etc.)

Hot Mike = sound of rushing air ALL THE TIME