• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vance AFB Primary

Status
Not open for further replies.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Not much gouge for t-37. All of the EP's fit on 1 page.

Dave

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Already done

Call me and i'll give you the cpt gouge.

Dave

Chesty

Originally posted by Pap
My friend who just started Primary at Vance told me that they only have 8 EP's!!

Almost makes me want to cry.

So Dave when is CPT-1 scheduled for you?

What else did your friend say about Vance? I've heard all kinds of skuttle-butt. From Vance being one of the best places to learn how to fly, to SNA's on the flight-line in the leaning rest. I know of three fallen angels from Vance. All had no previous flight experience unlike there Air Force brethren. What's going on in Enid?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Originally posted by Papspend a minimum of 8-9 hours at the squadron building everyday
Shudder... I'll take the Navy's sink or swim method anyday, glad I went through Pensacola, Whiting and Corpus!

Mike26

One of the AF pilots I work with went through UPT at Vance, he said there was a small handfull of Navy guys in his class and they all got jets, he also said most Navy guys that go through Vance get jets. Has anyone else heard this or know if there is any truth to this?

jwilliamsee

Pap I was wondering what the percentage of guys with prior flight time is (with at least a private) compared to those with very little or none in primary classes now. was just curious if it went way up when the civilian airline doors closed.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Talk to any Primary IP, they can't tell the guy who has a couple of hundred hours against a guy who had never set foot in a plane or at the controls after the first 6 flights.

trmat79

Hey guys I am up here at vance right now and I can tell you that most of things that I heard about this place are NOT true. First of all you will spend 12 hours a day once you hit the flight line ( during ground school the schedule is about half a packed as API in the P-cola) When you hit the flight line the first 15 days are the most important and this is when they really hit you with things to do. It will be tough but it keeps you current and up to date with the aircraft. NO the jet community stand down reached up here too and only recently have i heard of guys starting to get jets again and that is not many.. I training is good and hard but with the right ATTITUDE ( i cannot stress this enough) anyone can make it through from a guy with 0 hours to one with 1000. The flying is different than what anyone is used to so everyone is on a learning curve. Plus how cool is it to hit the break at 90 degrees and be sitting on an ejection seat......

Dave Shutter

Of all the guys I've known so far I would dare say the guys with prior time actually had more trouble. The IP who's fresh from P-3's or H-53's might call it a "Turbo-Weenie", but if you're fresh out of little ole' Cessna that thing is gonna feel like the space shuttle the first time you fly in it. Guys with prior time said they had a real hard time adjusting to the approach speeds, guys with no experience didn't know any differently. I should find out first hand in a couple of weeks.

jwilliamsee

I know stuff is different in military and civilian flying but I find it a little hard to believe that guys with prior flight time do worse. One thing I know is that the training that a guy gets off the street can be pretty marginal. As an engineer transitioning to a pilot I couldn't believe some of the stuff people tried to teach me that they themselves had no understanding of or were teaching wrong. To say "a guy off the street" is a pretty broad classification of pilots. I have seen some pretty scarry stuff that private pilots do and most civilian checkrides are pretty easy all things considered. That said many of the basics are still the basics. I have a friend that went throught the vance program a few years back and he had his private and instrument. He said that he was teaching his classmates a lot of the time and that it was a huge leg up for him. I don't want to start a big prior/no prior war here but I just don't understand how a guy who has never flown before can catch up to a 1000 hour pilot in 6 flights. As a current flight instructor who likes his job and struggles to find better ways to teach the "tough ones" I can't wait to get out from behind this stupid computer second guessing everything and see how the navy does it!

oh yea Trmat79 on your post above you made it sound like you skip API in pcola if you go to vance did I read that right?

trmat79

Hey that is actually very wrong. I spent time in P-cola going through the normal navy API. All the same classes and survival and then the guys from my class and i treaked out to Oklahoma and started ground school here. I am at the final part of that ground school and found so far that the navy classes are far harder than those here. I mean we spent two weeks on Aero in P-cola and two days on it here. Now we are on systems and that is a little more in depth but still can be handled. The most important thing that I can stress is no matter what you hear from people about this base take it in stride. ever since my buddy went through this training 3 years ago and it seems it hasn't changed people will always tell you it is the worst place to go but a twin engine jet with ejection seat can't be all that bad...and i know first hand that they treat Student pilots like gods here because the air force knows that the whole purpose of this base is to train pilots period.

Todd Matson

Status
Not open for further replies.