• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

V-22 Chosen to be the new COD

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I never understood AFSOC designation of CV-22B (since it replaced the MH-53) and the USMC designation MV-22B (since it replaced the CH-46).

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I never understood AFSOC designation of CV-22B (since it replaced the MH-53) and the USMC designation MV-22B (since it replaced the CH-46).

I get the impression it was because of politics on the part of the Marines, demonstrating that they weren't just 'replacing' the CH-46 but enhancing their capabilities doing so. The USCG's use of MH-65 and MH-60 for their upgraded helos is a little anomalous too, I would not be surprised that budget politics was a factor in that too (I know, they do AUF now but is that really a different 'version'?).

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The USCG's use of MH-65 and MH-60 for their upgraded helos is a little anomalous too, I would not be surprised that budget politics was a factor in that too (I know, they do AUF now but is that really a different 'version'?).

I think it was to clarify which helos had been modified for the AUF mission. I'm under the impression that all their Dolphins and 'Hawks are getting the mod eventually, though. The CG has historically not been adept at acquisition politics.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it was to clarify which helos had been modified for the AUF mission. I'm under the impression that all their Dolphins and 'Hawks are getting the mod eventually, though. The CG has historically not been adept at acquisition politics.

Okay, I get that but the Marines aren't calling their Hercs AKC-130's now and the Navy didn't start calling Tomcats FA or FB-14's after they started hanging bombs off of them. The vast majority of platforms in the US military have been 'multirole' in some fashion or another for a while now but until recently the services have been decent about designating their platforms in accordance with their primary mission. In their zeal to publicize their 'multi-mission' capabilities though some of the services have gone a little overboard in making sure the world, especially Congress, knows that they are 'multi-mission'. So the Jayhawks and Dolphins have a little extra kit to do AUF now, rescue is still their predominant mission.

Again, it is just the airplane geek in me and it really doesn't make too much of a difference at the end of the day but if we have 'rules' for this sort of thing we ought to follow them.

hscs

pilot
The CG has historically not been adept at acquisition politics.

Maybe the exception here, but - CG has been pretty innovative with their MH60 fillet - have seen them get airframes that Navy got rid of and refurbished so that they are upgraded over the 60S capability coming off the line in Stratford. And these airframes will probably outlive the 60S - all at a fraction of the cost.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Maybe the exception here, but - CG has been pretty innovative with their MH60 fillet - have seen them get airframes that Navy got rid of and refurbished so that they are upgraded over the 60S capability coming off the line in Stratford. And these airframes will probably outlive the 60S - all at a fraction of the cost.

I heard those are -F airframes that get taken down to the bare airframe and rebuilt. Their cockpit and avionics are awesome, similar to the -M.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So the Jayhawks and Dolphins have a little extra kit to do AUF now, rescue is still their predominant mission.

HITRON's sole mission is AUF (day and night) and they don't stand SAR duty. SAR is covered by PIE and whatever base is up north (Charleston?...I can't remember). So that might have something to do with it.

Historically, "conventional" CG aircraft could only conduct Day AUF. I haven't heard the latest on if upgrades to the -60T (or whatever it's called now) give them Night AUF capability, but even if it does, they still would need the Night syllabus (which is substantially more robust) AND have access to night qual'ed gunners from the TACLET. Since the TACLET gunners don't fly with HITRON units, and until recently, there was only one other (Navy) unit who would regularly train/maintain the TACLET quals, I wonder how quickly the regular CG units will get Night AUF. Between the activity at AUTEC, PR, and SOCAL, I'd guess the CG is motivated to get more NAUF assets on-scene.

Last edited:

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
*CNA study: A team from the Center for Naval Analyses has conducted a det size analysis at the request of Air Boss. They're now looking into some more specific detachment logistics/manning/operations issues. I'm as eager as everyone else to see what they come up with.

KMac-
I have a copy of the CNA study if you have't seen it. Shoot me a PM.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
AF beat out several USMC V-22 squadrons...:

The U.S. Air Force’s 801st Special Operations Aircraft Maintenance Squadron has been named this year’s winner of the Phoenix Award for Maintenance Excellence, which is presented annually to the military’s best field-level maintenance unit. The squadron’s mission is to perform all equipment maintenance for 17 CV-22Bs’ worldwide special operations missions in support of the 8th Special Operations Squadron. With fewer than 300 personnel, the squadron supported more than 1,200 sorties and 3,500 flying hours (28% of the Air Force 1st Special Operations Wing’s required missions in fiscal 2014), according to its award citation. In addition, the squadron developed an in-house capability that allows maintainers to repair components for the Bell-Boeing tiltrotor locally, which the Defense Dept. said saved taxpayers more than $46 million. It also recovered three battle-damaged CV-22s and repaired them for safe transport and return to their home station for major depot repairs. In the 31 years of the Phoenix Award, this is the Air Force's seventh win.