• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

V-22 Chosen to be the new COD

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
You could always just tack a C on the end of either, MV-22C or CV-22C, and be good with it.

Don't get me started, I think I ranted on this earlier in the thread but the whole designation scheme for the V-22 variants is bass ackwards to begin with. The logical thing would be to call it the CV-22C but that would likely make too much sense.

I thought a letter after the number meant a different series, not just different mission set.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought a letter after the number meant a different series, not just different mission set.

It just delineates a different version of the same basic aircraft. The differences in the past used to be much more minor to get a different letter (from the A-4A to A-4M and the F-4A to F-4S) but that has changed over time so that an aircraft like the F-16C incorporates many different versions or 'Blocks' as the USAF calls them, to include ones that used to get their own letter (like the F-16CJ). The same with the E-2C and several other aircraft. Why has it changed? More paperwork involved nowadays, that seems to be the simplest answer.

Part of my airplane geek annoyance with the V-22 is that the version designations should be swapped, the USAF should have the 'M' and the Marines the 'C' since it better reflects their roles, and from what I can gather it was largely political since the Marines wanted to advertise it as 'multi-mission' as the 'M' designation suggests.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Well, since the Marine version has picked up RGR, C2, NTISR, and is in testing to get AAR and CAS, while the USAF pretty much only uses it to take people from place to place, maybe they were right!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FWIW, I saw the thing referred to as the V-22(N) in the POM 18 TPL message traffic today.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If we really stuck with the naming conventions, the AFSOC version should be the HV-22, and CV-22 for the Marines. Navy could be the UV-22, but then everyone would get confused thinking it's a UAV.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Why not MV-22 for the USN? M=Multi-mission for us, and with all the crap they want it to do (or, more importantly, want to say it will do so they can get funding for it), it's looking very multi-mission.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If we stuck with the actual mission, we'd call it the DV-22.

As for MV-22, how do you distinguish it from the Marine version? The airframes will be different, so would it be MV-22N?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If we stuck with the actual mission, we'd call it the DV-22.

You might actually get some drone stink on you if you aren't careful!

As for MV-22, how do you distinguish it from the Marine version? The airframes will be different, so would it be MV-22N?

If they decide to go with MV-22 they should designate it the MV-22C since it would be a distinct version, if they followed the rules. I still think CV-22 makes the most sense since that will be most indicative the primary mission, let's just accept reality that the airframe will still be hauling ass and trash to and from the boat 99% of the time like its predecessor, but that is just the airplane geek in me.