• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USS Michael Murphy DDG-112 Christened

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
ddg112.jpg

Fair winds and following seas.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think it's interesting that every "press" picture I've seen talking about this ship and its commissioning has used the Operation REDWING picture and not a more "professional" picture of him. And by interesting, I mean bad ass.

Unfortunately, 20+ years from now, some JO will be sitting in the wardroom oblivious to the namesake of the ship he's on.

jtmedli

pilot
Unfortunately, 20+ years from now, some JO will be sitting in the wardroom oblivious to the namesake of the ship he's on.

For the sake of the Navy and our heritage...let's hope not. Id hope they'd at least have the decency to google the ship they're going on.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Don't most ships have some sort of shrine, for lack of a better term, that explains the history behind the name? I know for the USS Dunham, the mast stepping included a piece of his kevlar, his purple heart, and 3/7 - K's guidon. There's also a shadow box with his Medal of Honor citation and his Blues.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The ones I've been on have generally just had plaques, nothing that elaborate.

The Murtha could have some rolls of bills he was offered by FBI agents posing as Arab sheiks. That'd be nice.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Don't most ships have some sort of shrine, for lack of a better term, that explains the history behind the name? I know for the USS Dunham, the mast stepping included a piece of his kevlar, his purple heart, and 3/7 - K's guidon. There's also a shadow box with his Medal of Honor citation and his Blues.

Some ships have a brief plaque that has an explanation. Some just have some nick knacks that have some heritage if you know the story, but it's not easy to come by the actual story.

BigRed389

None
Some ships have a brief plaque that has an explanation. Some just have some nick knacks that have some heritage if you know the story, but it's not easy to come by the actual story.

No fucking way you're getting a SWO pin without "knowledges" on your ship's namesake.

Those are usually the board's "softball" questions.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I had a SWO on the Anzio.. Swore up and down it was named after a MOH Recipient.

Um. NO.

Any SWO on small boys who doesn't realize that CGs are named after battles and DDGs after people is a complete and utter moron.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Most ships I've been on had stuff pertaining to the namesake in the wardroom, sometimes the mess decks as well. My first ship had a portrait of the namesake and his (posthumous) Navy Cross citation. KENNEDY and IKE had some some pictures and knickknacks (Ike's uniforms and such). NORMANDY had Overlord stuff all over the place. That SWO would have had to been blind as well as an idiot.