• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USS Michael Murphy DDG-112 Christened

tonio

Much deserved, I read Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell and his account of LT Murphy's last moments literally struck me, I had to put the book down for a while after reading it. What an honor.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
...or guys that DID qualify on that ship and still don't know the history. Trust me, it happens...regularly.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Most ships I've been on had stuff pertaining to the namesake in the wardroom, sometimes the mess decks as well. My first ship had a portrait of the namesake and his (posthumous) Navy Cross citation. KENNEDY and IKE had some some pictures and knickknacks (Ike's uniforms and such). NORMANDY had Overlord stuff all over the place. That SWO would have had to been blind as well as an idiot.

The Kennedy has silverware donated by the Kennedy family and Jakie Kennedy actually designed the Captain's in-port cabin; which is why it has oak paneling.

The TR has a giant stuffed Moosehead hanging in the Hangar Bay Quarterdeck area. The ship accepted it as a donation from a TR group only to find out later it was valued over 10 Grand. The ship's JAG was trying to get the Battle Group JAG to write a memo saying it was OK to accept the gift after is was already hanging up on the wall...

Pags

N/A
pilot
Oh, I'm not saying you're wrong.

You'll always have SWOs who qualified on a different ship, helo guys stopping by for DLQs, and other visitors who are all pretty likely to be clueless by then.

I had to chop a monthly ops summary by a 2P once that had listed the "USS Mitcher". I told the 2P that the spelling was wrong and then the 2P wondered how I knew. I asked if they knew who Marc Mitscher was. All I got back was the "probably some guy" response. Another HAC and I held an impromptu history session before we'd sign off the chop. The training was sure to highlight his ridiculous hat.