• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC Tailhook drops (Serious Answer?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gotta_fly

pilot
Nothing beats a "what are my chances" thread with a Navy wannabe giving advice to a Marine wannabe on how to select Air Force jets.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
I remember once in a bar in Enid overhearing a T-38 stud telling a group of guys about his low level going 5XX knots and all manner of "cool" jet stuff. I felt the need to tell the group about how I held over an NDB and got a barbeque sandwich on my hop that day. I think my story was cooler.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Nothing beats a "what are my chances" thread with a Navy wannabe giving advice to a Marine wannabe on how to select Air Force jets.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I do appreciate the comedic value of all three services with jets getting intertwined in one post, but respectfully it was not the point of my post to tell him how to select jets in any service. Just wanted to give him some pointers on how to do some homework here and elsewhere.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
i_like_where_this_thread_is_going_again.jpg

StarDust

Focus on what's in front of you - this really should have been your last post:

I know... it's just that I have to decide before next semester starts whether I should leave AFROTC. This summer is my only chance at getting into PLC since there is a freeze on the 10-week PLC and I'm a sophomore, so I have to decide now. That's why I posted this thread.

81montedriver

pilot
I know... it's just that I have to decide before next semester starts whether I should leave AFROTC. This summer is my only chance at getting into PLC since there is a freeze on the 10-week PLC and I'm a sophomore, so I have to decide now. That's why I posted this thread.

You know there is always OCC once you are college complete. I had tried to get into PLC but a medical waiver kept me from doing so. Went to OCC after college and now I have shiny gold under my name!

StarDust

If flying jets is your end all be all for service in the military go pledge an Air Guard unit or two that fly them.

There is a guy at my local Air Guard unit that went through ENJJPT and now flies F-16s. He told me about the guard route. But the Air Guard is only 1 weekend per month sorta thing. No chance of getting deployed on a ship either.

StarDust

You know there is always OCC once you are college complete. I had tried to get into PLC but a medical waiver kept me from doing so. Went to OCC after college and now I have shiny gold under my name!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard OCC is extremely competitive, I heard (from an ROTC recruiter) AF OTS has a extremely low acceptance rate (4% ish) and the figures are similar for OCS / OCC. Does this sound right?

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Nothing beats a thread where a a rookie comes with the standard "yeah but" - and keeps going. And of course this leads to your, by now expected, "i cooked a hot pocket in my airplane", "jet guys are tools", "go the ANG" comments :rolleyes:

Star Dust, it's ok if you want to fly jets, but here are approximately 1,643 things that have to happen between now and your T-45 FAM-1, worry about those. Stop posting to this thread. Sit down, shut up, read and listen. And stop saying "I know".... You don't.

djj34

pilot
Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard OCC is extremely competitive, I heard (from an ROTC recruiter) AF OTS has a extremely low acceptance rate (4% ish) and the figures are similar for OCS / OCC. Does this sound right?

You can also extend your college experience by a semester, giving yourself an extra summer. It's what I did, albeit unintentionally. Went to PLC Jrs after my 3rd year, PLC Srs after my 4th year, graduated in December, commissioned a few months after that. Even though PLC in general is much harder to get into than it has been historically (I wouldn't have gotten in this year with what I had in 2009) it's just something to consider.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
There is a guy at my local Air Guard unit that went through ENJJPT and now flies F-16s. He told me about the guard route. But the Air Guard is only 1 weekend per month sorta thing. No chance of getting deployed on a ship either.

Awesome, you've got it all figured out then. So why are you here?

81montedriver

pilot

Once again, the odds and percentages change all the time. Your odds are 0% if you never try. If you are constantly worrying about odds and basing whether or not you try on those odds, sorry the Marine Corps is not for you. Don't make me start talking about the Marines who fought in Chosin and whether they asked for odds before so many gave their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.