• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

usmc jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainman

pilot
46Driver said:
Helo bubbas are "unrestricted naval aviators", i.e., we are qualified to fly fixed wing and helo. Jet guys are fixed wing only. Also, helo bubbas can come back to the training command and fly fixed wing, or go fly C-12's at station, or possibly get a jet transition - if you go jets, you are stuck in jets. Finally, look at the wars - helo bubbas are down and dirty everyday while the jets, ah, ah, I don't see a whole lot of "Top Gun" air to air going on now, or in Bosnia, or in Gulf War I, or during the 80's, or during anytime since Vietnam - but for some unknown reason they qualify for a $25k a year bonus while helo bubbas (Marines) only get $7k per year...

I think the point was the "jet" comment. The odds of a helo guy flying a tactical jet in the military are very low. The odds of a jet guy flying a helo are also low, but possible. You would know better than me 46D, but aren't they taking a couple jets guys per year for Osprey Transistions? I read that earlier in the year.

There's no question that a tacair squadron's bread and butter is Air to Ground. But to believe there's no Air to Air threat for american forces (n korea and china for example) is pretty arrogant [considering the company you're in]. Why does China MAINTAIN such a large number of tactical aircarft. It isn't for their neighbors, I assure you.

boot jet guy

zilber

pilot
I am sure a lot of us have heard about the famous "quality curve." I was under the impression that if a Marine had an NSS of above 50 out of Primary, he/she would be automatically be sent jets (at least recently). A Marine friend of mine, who is in RI's with me, said that there have been four Marines from our squadron who were assigned helos with an NSS above 60. The Navy/Marines need good pilots in every community. There is nothing so special about jet guys or helo guys other that they are Naval/Marine Corps aviators... and they have the best job in the world. :)

wilsonator

i'm still unclear about how a Marine who selects helos also get to fly jets, are you just talking about the possibility (slim to none and slim left town) of a transition later on?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Holy threadjack, Batman! I certainly am not going to step in front of the "jet v. helo" train.

Anyway, to answer an earlier question, there is a certain numer of jet slots in the Osprey program. Each of the next few boards will have slots for jet guys. However, once it's on on the street, I don't see them taking jet guys as a regular thing. THey're here to help develop the tactics and flight profiles.

There is a small number of jet (tacair) transitions, but I think that the earlier posts were referencing the opportunity to fly jet support and training aircraft. Helo pilots can fly C-20s, C-35s (I think those are the right designators), C-9s on the lift side. Helo guys can also fly the Tweet, until it's gone. There are also the opportunities to fly turboprops, like the T-34 and C-12, or a C-130 transition. The earlier posts were implying a greater potential for career diversity, which I think is probably true. There may be some freaky billet where a F/W pilot flies a helo, but there's much more chance of a helo bubba flying a stiff wing. If you want to someday claim to be able to fly anything ona flight line, helos might be your thing.

Rainman

pilot
I think we're all in agreement then. . fixed wing not "jet". Sure you have the freak platform transitions (cobra to hornet) and Osprey for a couple jet guys. .

As far as selections and NSSs. It all varies. We've all seen the guy with a 54 who really really really wants to fly helos and is sent to Kingsville. I think overall Marines have a pretty good attitude about the airframe they end up in.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
I’ll throw this out there for whatever its worth, I talked with someone that was in VX-9. A jet guy, that logged a few hours in the Cobra – said it was some of the most fun he had. Nothing that he would trade for an F-18 low level, but still some good times.

Rainman

pilot
They do seem quite bada$$. I sat in one on Friday and I have a question for a tall Cobra bubba. I was told that front seat doesn't adjust and well I sit rather (ahem) erect. .. do tall dudes have any trouble with the canopy or vis? It would seem you're canted back a bit, so maybe that helps. Maybe 'Jet training' isn't the best forum to post, but I figured someone would know more.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I have met some bonafide HUGE Cobra guys (please, spare me the innuendo). They don't seem to have any problems.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
as a jet guy, i've always said, I would love the chance to see what flying a helo is like.... if for nothing else then because its a totally different way of flying and you're low and "fast" a lot. There isn't as much rivalry/animosity between the communities as some of the high school kiddies seem to portray... but of course they know better.

RumorBuster

Old Warrior
Clux4 said:
I think Helo guys have it made. They get helo's techinically because they do not have the high scores but on the long run they get the training to be able to fly a helicopter and a jet. This is something the jet guys cannot boast of.
LOL,

Can I get some details on reasoning here?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
RumorBuster said:
LOL,

Can I get some details on reasoning here?

of course...
when dealing with the internet and the majority of its bulletin boards, the validity of ones opinion/knowledge is inversely proportionate to their experience.

BeanFighter

pilot
As a T-2 stud a million years ago I flew a helo on some exchange thing we had with the Army. I couldn't hover worth a damn but straight and level was easy. I thought it was cool to go 90 kts at 10 feet AGL, but then I can drive faster than that, lower than that. Of course 600+ below 100' in the Hornet is a different story.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
I'd like to give the 600 knot thing a go myself....

However to expound upon the helo flying at 100+ knots and under 100 ft, when you start to add in the other factors, i.e., in a flight of 4, on NVG's, into a tight and dusty LZ, then it becomes quite a challenge.

I would think that meshing rotors is more of a problem than bumping wingtips...

Rainman

pilot
46Driver said:
I'd like to give the 600 knot thing a go myself....

However to expound upon the helo flying at 100+ knots and under 100 ft, when you start to add in the other factors, i.e., in a flight of 4, on NVG's, into a tight and dusty LZ, then it becomes quite a challenge.

I would think that meshing rotors is more of a problem than bumping wingtips...

because the fast movers stay straight and level . never pull g's down low and certainly never perform in the cover of darkness. lol . hey nobody said flying assualt missions was a piece of cake. . but this IS the jet forum ;)

unfortunately, as you know, mishaps have been cause by both "bumping wingtips" and "meshing rotors".--not a good deal for anyone.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
squeeze said:
of course...
when dealing with the internet and the majority of its bulletin boards, the validity of ones opinion/knowledge is inversely proportionate to their experience.

"The angle of the dangle is inversely proportional to the Heat of the Beat." - Beavis

Status
Not open for further replies.