• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

usmc jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingFortress

Flying turd
For all you Marine aviators, what does it take to get jets? Besides all the uncertainties and "what-ifs," what did you do in flight that got you jets? Did you all have your PPL before joining? My desire is to fly jets for the MC, but anything else would be excellent too! Let me know what a determined man needs to do to get into jets out of P-col!

wilsonator

I'm not a Marine but if your question is jet grades out of primary, everyone in Kingsville or Meridian is probably qualified to answer.
I definitely think any flight time you can acquire would be most beneficial. Something that you do over and over again becomes a breeze to perform. Quoted from Og Mandino's Greatest Salesman.
Anyway, practice, practice, practice. The more times you do something, the better you'll get at it. I used the Microsims (I know a lot of guys are rolling their eyes), but it allows you to do something with your hands while you regurgitate procedures. It definitely worked for me. Good luck, relax, have a little fun, otherwise what's it all for?

Eagle32

I'm taking you to the looneybin.
Eyes are rolling...

If you party too much, you'll probably get props. Uh oh.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
study, never go into a brief unprepared (no excuse for sucking at a brief....lots of reasons for sucking in the plane), let your on-wing know your aspirations, study, know your procedures, fly with the cool IPs as much as possible, use the RIOT trainer for RIs, lots of practice sims for RIs, go on the road.

All I had going into primary was IFS. Sure I'd flown a little with friends, but nothing logged or near formal.... just "here, you wanna fly." Study, know your stuff, and apply yourself.... and then, no matter what you get, you can never say "if only I tried harder..."

my .02

Clux4

Banned
I think Helo guys have it made. They get helo's techinically because they do not have the high scores but on the long run they get the training to be able to fly a helicopter and a jet. This is something the jet guys cannot boast of.

flashypants

Whoa.
pilot
Clux4 said:
I think Helo guys have it made. They get helo's techinically because they do not have the high scores but on the long run they get the training to be able to fly a helicopter and a jet. This is something the jet guys cannot boast of.

Yea but, they get to fly jets.

wilsonator

not everyone who gets helos has low grades, some people want helos and not every jet stud was top of the class.

R

RickyDT34

Clux4 said:
They get to fly a jet? Really? What jet? And I don't think it's true that helo guys don't have the high scores. I know people that had high scores and still end up flying helos by choice or needs of the Navy.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Helo bubbas are "unrestricted naval aviators", i.e., we are qualified to fly fixed wing and helo. Jet guys are fixed wing only. Also, helo bubbas can come back to the training command and fly fixed wing, or go fly C-12's at station, or possibly get a jet transition - if you go jets, you are stuck in jets. Finally, look at the wars - helo bubbas are down and dirty everyday while the jets, ah, ah, I don't see a whole lot of "Top Gun" air to air going on now, or in Bosnia, or in Gulf War I, or during the 80's, or during anytime since Vietnam - but for some unknown reason they qualify for a $25k a year bonus while helo bubbas (Marines) only get $7k per year...

rare21

pilot
Contributor
If you go to Vance for primary, you get to fly the Air Force's jet trainer. Still i'd rather fly a T-28 for primary than go through the Air Force's way of training.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
rare21 Still i'd rather fly a T-28 for primary.

I have gotten to fly one of those beasts, in fact the bird I flew had traps on the Lexington in it's log. Letme tell you it is noisy it as hell, but a joy stick and rudder.

R

RickyDT34

rare21 said:
If you go to Vance for primary, you get to fly the Air Force's jet trainer. Still i'd rather fly a T-28 for primary than go through the Air Force's way of training.
I thought the AF was using the T-6 now :icon_conf Does is suck that bad to go through AF primary as a squid?

rare21

pilot
Contributor
havent heard anything good about going through AF primary...they might have the T-6, last i heard they were using a side by side jet trainer...the tweet i believe

Status
Not open for further replies.