• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Updated list of things to bring?

nugget61

pilot
I know there is a size requirement for deodorant, is there a specific size of bodywash or shampoo that we are allowed to bring, and do we use this during indoc weeks, i just want to know what i should bring now or get later, im trying to travel light

The size requirements are only for inspection items (issued). I don't think anyone cared about size/brand/etc of any 'daily use' items as long as it all fits into the toiletries bag you bring. Just don't have anything that's heavily scented - you don't want to make class team do a double take when they walk in front of you and smell something 'pretty'.
And don't plan on getting too much soap on during indoc phase, you probably won't have time for it.
While we're talking about bathroom stuff, I do recommend bringing your own towel. And splurge, get a nice, white one. It'll be one of the few nice things you can have there.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
While we're talking about bathroom stuff, I do recommend bringing your own towel. And splurge, get a nice, white one. It'll be one of the few nice things you can have there.

Man, good call on the towel! I also recommend good quality underwear and undershirts, don't skimp there. They'll get trashed like everything else, but little details like that make a nice difference when everything else is sucking.

ahernandez

I know there is a size requirement for deodorant, is there a specific size of bodywash or shampoo that we are allowed to bring, and do we use this during indoc weeks, i just want to know what i should bring now or get later, im trying to travel light

You're gonna want to bring fullsize stuff - and no bodywash. Bring SOAP bars, and I'd pack an extra one in your car if you have a specific brand due to sensitisve skin, as you're not going to have a superwide selection at the NEX up there.

jtmedli

pilot
You're gonna want to bring fullsize stuff - and no bodywash. Bring SOAP bars, and I'd pack an extra one in your car if you have a specific brand due to sensitisve skin, as you're not going to have a superwide selection at the NEX up there.

I disagree about the body wash. Get the bodywash bottle and take it. It's quick and easy and no one gives a damn what you wash with as long as you don't stink...much.

ahernandez

Regardless of soap, you'll have minimal time to shower and the selection isn't great, so it's good to bring extras of everything you think you'll need to store in your car. And what you can't bring INTO OCS, you can store in your car - if you drive. If not...well sucks for you! Try to find someone who has a car perhaps to keep your extras inw ith them.

The foot powder they give you doesn't smell great, but it'll help with the sweat stuff and not being so stinky.

jtmedli

pilot
And what you can't bring INTO OCS, you can store in your car - if you drive.

This is bad advice. DO NOT leave anything you might need in your car. POV runs are not guarateed and you may never see that crap again. Put that stuff if your "lucky bag" and carry it in. Before RLP you'll be allowed trips to the small NEX and to the lucky bag room to grab stuff. The Candi-Os will tell you if you're not allowed to take it out of there, but at least it's within "arm's reach" that way if you are allowed.

ahernandez

I'm talking about stuff that isn't authorized into OCS - Gatorade, extra supplies, Airborne, etc. Things in your lucky bag that are stored of that nature won't be allowed during your stay up there, period.

beaverslayer

pilot
Technically, no. But if you want to bring in airborne, stick it in with your toiletries. No one will actually pull every item out and inspect it when you're checking in. Extra supplies? Like RLP stuff? Put it in your lucky bag, you'll be much more likely to be able to get at it there than in your car.

If your class team is anything like mine was you might only get one run out to your cars until Candio phase, so there is no point in stashing snacks. By the way, you'll be drinking a huge glass of powerade at every meal, so I wouldn't worry too much about bringing a stash of gatorade in.

ahernandez

"But if you want to bring in airborne, stick it in with your toiletries. No one will actually pull every item out and inspect it when you're checking in."

That's really bad advice; trying to bring contraband in or knowingly carrying something that is unauthorized will get you sent home.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Technically, no. But if you want to bring in airborne, stick it in with your toiletries. No one will actually pull every item out and inspect it when you're checking in. Extra supplies? Like RLP stuff? Put it in your lucky bag, you'll be much more likely to be able to get at it there than in your car.

If your class team is anything like mine was you might only get one run out to your cars until Candio phase, so there is no point in stashing snacks. By the way, you'll be drinking a huge glass of powerade at every meal, so I wouldn't worry too much about bringing a stash of gatorade in.

They went through all of our toiletries when I went. Either way, taking unapproved meds is dumb, and especially something like airborne that doesn't even do anything.

beaverslayer

pilot
Just trying to give you an idea what to expect. Sometimes at OCS you can't follow every rule. For example, the rule is you have to be in bed--in between the sheets--from 2200 to 0500 every night. But then your class team will give you writing assignments (copying chow hall procedures X number of times) at 2100, knowing full well it will take several hours to complete. Then at exactly 0500 they will come to collect the assignment. So what do you do? You stay up and write the procedures.

Other days, they'll come in to give you your wake up call/beating, and punish you for not having made your bed yet. So you have to wake up at 0500 (because according to the regs you have to be in between the sheets and asleep until then, right?), stumble out to the p-way in about 5 seconds to stand at attention, and oh, somewhere in there make your bed perfectly. Is it possible? Nope, you get up early, make your bed, stretch, and get ready for another day of all that crap.

I'm not saying you should smuggle in drugs and miniature bottles of vodka, but there are shades of gray of contraband. You won't get sent home for airborne. Unless of course you lie about it to your class team and they find out. But at that point it doesn't matter what you lied about, you're screwed anyways.

jtmedli

pilot
I'm not saying you should smuggle in drugs and miniature bottles of vodka, but there are shades of gray of contraband. You won't get sent home for airborne. Unless of course you lie about it to your class team and they find out. But at that point it doesn't matter what you lied about, you're screwed anyways.

I dont know what this airborne crap does, but the best thing you can have at OCS is ibuprofen/motrin. That stuff will work wonders after a long day of getting beat and standing at attention for 16 hours and med-call will pretty much give you a small bottle of it. If you're like me and you FUBAR your ankle then you'll get some of the nice 800mg capsules, but I wouldn't reccomend that!

beaverslayer

pilot
I dont know what this airborne crap does, but the best thing you can have at OCS is ibuprofen/motrin. That stuff will work wonders after a long day of getting beat and standing at attention for 16 hours and med-call will pretty much give you a small bottle of it. If you're like me and you FUBAR your ankle then you'll get some of the nice 800mg capsules, but I wouldn't reccomend that!

Airborne is something like 8000% your recommended dose of vitamin C--you're supposed to take it when you start feeling sick, and it prevents the cold/flu/whatever from developing and fixes you before you really get sick. But yeah, you're definitely right. I got a bottle of tylenol and a bottle of ibuprofen from medical, and those were the biggest help of anything I could imagine.

SWO Bro

can I bring my own foot spray? or Eye drops, I had lasik done, so every now and then i get really bad dry eyes. I didn't think it would be an issue until this airborne fiasco.