• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Updated list of things to bring?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
How often is laundry? Do you turn your nasty clothes in to have base laundry do them or are there a bank of washers/dryers somewhere in the barracks? I'd assume it gets pretty grody during those first three weeks without laundry.

Hah, after reading how shitty OCS is, did you really think people would do your laundry for you? Sorry, but no. You will do it yourself. On your own time.

R

russellf54

Referring to the list above... Where do you keep all these things and what should I pack them/bring them to OCS in? (mainly the polish, tape, etc.)

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Hah, after reading how shitty OCS is, did you really think people would do your laundry for you? Sorry, but no. You will do it yourself. On your own time.

Hey man, VMI was shitty and we still had our laundry done for us. :D

Either way, I just want to make sure I bring enough gear to get me through, because nothing sucks more than having to wear nasty, sweaty tighty-whities three days in a row.

jtmedli

pilot
Referring to the list above... Where do you keep all these things and what should I pack them/bring them to OCS in? (mainly the polish, tape, etc.)

Have everything in your lucky bag and bring it in on Day 1. What's not allowed on day 1 will be stowed in the lucky bag room for later. Do NOT leave stuff in your car that you will want to have access to later. POV are not guaranteed at all.

R

russellf54

Have everything in your lucky bag and bring it in on Day 1. What's not allowed on day 1 will be stowed in the lucky bag room for later. Do NOT leave stuff in your car that you will want to have access to later. POV are not guaranteed at all.

Thank you!

gsd1862

Thanks for the advice, One more quick question. I have heard that all we need to bring is our MEPS folder and that we dont need all our medical history files, Is there truth to this?

A

AlexSmart

DONT bring:

Goo Gone: currently 3.25 years supply sitting around here

Irons Ironing Board: literally 100+ stored here

Starch: theres plenty here, but have not used it once. None of the uniforms issued will require it and class drill instructors can tell when you have used it on items during RLP.

DO BRING:

good black boot socks, good black dress socks, good white athletic socks, good white tees. all of the ones issued are low quality.

lots of razorblades or disposable razors. you shave everyday and a super clean shave is expected so you will want to change out once a week at least (in my personal experience)

gsd1862

DONT bring:

Starch: theres plenty here, but have not used it once. None of the uniforms issued will require it and class drill instructors can tell when you have used it on items during RLP.

Is starching your clothes bad during RLP?

Also I heard it is better to bring everything to OCS in a seabag, otherwise you would be doing the "OCS shuffle" the first few days? any thoughts on this

jtmedli

pilot
Is starching your clothes bad during RLP?

Also I heard it is better to bring everything to OCS in a seabag, otherwise you would be doing the "OCS shuffle" the first few days? any thoughts on this

starching is allowed by some class teams.

It doesn't matter what you bring your crap in. Either way it's going to end up in the lucky bag room with everyone elses stuff. A normal suitcase/bag will probably be better than a seabag because all those bags in the lucky bag room end up getting stacked on top of each other and thrown all over the place so a seabag would just get crushed.

Lots of socks. In the end I threw away a bunch of them as I was moving out of Nimitz, but while there it was very nice to always have a clean, fresh pair of socks when everyone else was wearing nasty old ones. Same with underwear.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Either way, I just want to make sure I bring enough gear to get me through, because nothing sucks more than having to wear nasty, sweaty tighty-whities three days in a row.
Your laundry will get done (by you) as Otto says, but you want 12-14 days worth of gear in case you can't do laundry exactly 7 days apart, you want to go through an extra T-shirt and undies after getting hosed down in the SUYA, etc.

Since the shift to NWU, you'll only need one pack of white T's anyway (which really are optional, since they'll give you crappy ones to wear anyway and you probably won't PT in them). I'm not sure what they have you display for RLP; if it's the blue T's, you'll want extra ones of those so that you can keep your RLP items clean and unworn.

jtmedli

pilot
Your laundry will get done (by you) as Otto says, but you want 12-14 days worth of gear in case you can't do laundry exactly 7 days apart, you want to go through an extra T-shirt and undies after getting hosed down in the SUYA, etc.

Since the shift to NWU, you'll only need one pack of white T's anyway (which really are optional, since they'll give you crappy ones to wear anyway and you probably won't PT in them). I'm not sure what they have you display for RLP; if it's the blue T's, you'll want extra ones of those so that you can keep your RLP items clean and unworn.

Both blue and white are displayed for RLP.