• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniforms

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
I'm at a joint command doing staff work and I'm getting kinda tired of wearing NWUs. My boss is an Air Force general and he wears his flight suit from time to time and I was wondering if it was authorized for me to do the same. His reply was that I can wear it if the Navy allows it... does anyone know if flight suits can be worn in lieu of NWUs - especially at a joint command where air force guys can? If so, where is the instruction?

KBayDog

I'm at a joint command doing staff work and I'm getting kinda tired of wearing NWUs. My boss is an Air Force general and he wears his flight suit from time to time and I was wondering if it was authorized for me to do the same. His reply was that I can wear it if the Navy allows it... does anyone know if flight suits can be worn in lieu of NWUs - especially at a joint command where air force guys can? If so, where is the instruction?

So...you're looking for the instruction that says you can do something, vice the instruction that says you can't do something? Sounds like you've been hanging around the AF a little too long. :)

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
every time your boss wears a bag, he answers his own question. that being said, please don't be the guy who wears a pager on the velcro strap or wears it out to your favorite BBQ joint (two VERY AF moves). :rolleyes:

robav8r

None
Contributor
. . . does anyone know if flight suits can be worn in lieu of NWUs - especially at a joint command where air force guys can? If so, where is the instruction?

Hell yes you can wear a bag! I did in CENTCOM (Tampa). The governing instruction would be from whatever Navy Region you are in IAW standard uniform regulations.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hell yes you can wear a bag! I did in CENTCOM (Tampa). The governing instruction would be from whatever Navy Region you are in IAW standard uniform regulations.

I understand that the Navy Region dictates whether we are in summer or winter periods, but doesn't the authority for governing Uniform of the Day rest solely with the commander? Obviously there can be higher level restrictions (e.g., NCR rules). What's the actual rule?

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
When in doubt, consult the regs:

SPECIAL UNIFORM SITUATIONS
SECTION 6:
NAVAL PERSONNEL SERVING WITH OTHER SERVICES

1. ARMY, AIR FORCE, OR COAST GUARD. Naval personnel on duty with Army, Air Force, or Coast Guard organizations wear naval uniforms corresponding to those prescribed for personnel of the associated service as listed in <Table 6-6-1> Table of Service Equivalent Uniforms. In combat areas or under other circumstances where wearing Navy uniforms would be inappropriate, naval personnel may wear the uniform of the other service if they are provided at no cost to the member by the other service. Wear appropriate naval insignia with other services' working uniforms.

So, if at a Joint Command you wear what the Joint Command says is the appropriate uniform of the day.
At JFCOM some directorates allowed aviators to wear bags. I worked for a Navy SWO, so I got the joy of daily khakis.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Obviously there can be higher level restrictions (e.g., NCR rules).

I guarantee you there is a frustrated SWO (or other branch of service equivalent) in every corner of the world/staff that hates personnel wearing flight suits and can produce a rule, regulation, instruction, mandate, etc that says aviators shouldn't wear flight suits unless they are flying. If your boss says it's OK to wear a bag, wear it. You're a warfighter who does his or her "warfighting" in a bag. I've been fighting this mentality for 30 years - screw em'

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What rob said. Wear your bag, if someone gives you shit for it, tell 'em the General said it was cool.

I went 'round about this same thing on IA. COS was an aviator and the Admiral didn't give a damn, so the CJTF staff (like myself) could wear bags if they wanted. Camp staff (Navy base, CO was a Seabee and the XO a Sub guy) could only wear them on Fridays. I got some evil eyes from the SWOs...fuck 'em.

hotmetal

on target
The only thing that irritates me about flight suits is the double standard many officers have when it comes to flight suits and coveralls. The same people that would yell at enlisted sailors for wearing their coveralls home would be the same officers that were wearing their flight suits out in town. I imagine much of the grief probably stems from that same attitude with SWOs. The more SWOs that see you in a bag at your local burger joint, the less friendly they will be towards people ever wearing them. A little discretion goes a long way.

Always watched; always judged.

hotmetal

on target
SWOs also salute and use "sir" within O1-O3. Fuck that.

Depends on the situation. Unless told otherwise, I would call any higher rank sir. Obviously if you know that person they are going to tell you "call me X" right away and then you don't have to worry about it anymore. However, exceptions to this would be when receiving a direct order or getting your ass chewed--I'd probably sir in both those instances regardless.

Personally, I don't care if people sir me when its just us hanging out by ourselves and we are socializing, but if you casually call me "X" in front of my subordinates, stand by. This holds true for any rank. I wouldn't call a Chief by even his last name in front of his division, just like I wouldn't expect the skipper to call me by my first name in front of my division.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
I guarantee you there is a frustrated SWO (or other branch of service equivalent) in every corner of the world/staff that hates personnel wearing flight suits and can produce a rule, regulation, instruction, mandate, etc that says aviators shouldn't wear flight suits unless they are flying. If your boss says it's OK to wear a bag, wear it. You're a warfighter who does his or her "warfighting" in a bag. I've been fighting this mentality for 30 years - screw em'
I'm spending way too much time on here today as I'm taking the ASTB on Monday, so my apologies....
BUT
You are saying that and when I was at Fenty a Air Cav squadron was there and their 1SG no crap told them they couldn't wear their wings, even at the chow hall. They were pissed and to rebel on their off days those guys would put on their stetsons and spurs and walk around their company living areas. Good stuff but the army has incredible avaiators but they get treated like crap a good amount of the time.

SWOs also salute and use "sir" within O1-O3. Fuck that.

I'm not saying this in any sarcastic manner, but sir you gotta stay away from Disney drive in Baghram!! Your arm will fall off and the army enlisted guys have to render no exceptions! (oh and wear a PT too) To get around it, I saw quite a few people walking around with beanie caps and jackets without rank that looked suspicously important. Luckily i'm no one important and only had to pass through there for a couple hours on rare occasion

magnetfreezer

I'm spending way too much time on here today as I'm taking the ASTB on Monday, so my apologies....
BUT
You are saying that and we I was at Fenty a Air Cav squadron was there and their 1SG no crap told them they couldn't wear their wings, even at the chow hall. They were pissed and to rebel on their off days those guys would put on their stetsons and spurs and walk around their company living areas. Good stuff but the army has incredible avaiators but they get treated like crap a good amount of the time.
YGBSM! Aren't MOS/other badges required to be worn by uniform regs (other than when sanitized, etc)?