• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniforms

banana380

pilot
I know I'm a far way from rating brown boots, but I heard recommendations on Red Wing boots. Did a google search and couldn't find a shop that sells them. Any ideas?
The boots issued during API are probably the best pair of boots I've ever owned, and retail around $200. Plus you don't have to pay a cent for them ;)

banana380

pilot
Anyone know if you can just tack on rank/pins to the NWUs rather than have them sown? I have mine done, but I saw some studs in the HTs wear them that way. Is that kosher?
Marine ranks are pinned on their utilities, but I'm pretty sure Navy has to be sewn on.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
If I understand this right - NWU's replaced dungarees for enlisted?
They replaced wash khakis and dungarees for Officers and for Enlisted. I "think" the intent was to also have NWUs also replace coveralls while underway on ships. Not sure what they are doing. Submariners still wear coveralls while underway.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Yeah I just looked up the regs. They say that embroidered collar devices will be worn. Answered my own question.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
They replaced wash khakis and dungarees for Officers and for Enlisted. I "think" the intent was to also have NWUs also replace coveralls while underway on ships. Not sure what they are doing. Submariners still wear coveralls while underway.

The intent was to aide in the "everyone's a warrior" campaign. With the Army and Marines getting the bulk of the credit for early successes in OIF and OEF (and well deserved) - and society's willingness to call ANYONE in uniform a hero - is it any wonder why the Navy would look for a way to put its admin clerks and air traffic controllers in some sort of camouflage uniform? We're part of the fight! See, we're wearing camo!

Additionally, as the Navy gets more and more egalitarian, who wouldn't want to put everyone in the same uniform? I mean (roughly) 230 years of tradition wasn't meant for this generation of Sailor.... I mean it was so demeaning to have enlisted men wearing a different uniform from the chiefs and officers. Still waiting for some one to explain to me how dungarees and wash khakis were less functional than the "working" uniform that can not be worn on the flight line / deck and can't be seen on a MOB. //end rant//

exNavyOffRec

most engineers still wear coveralls, they said the NWU's would "hide" stains but they don't, it is cheaper to replace a pair of coveralls than replace NWU's, and the NWU's get hot in a 100+F engineroom.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
most engineers still wear coveralls, they said the NWU's would "hide" stains but they don't, it is cheaper to replace a pair of coveralls than replace NWU's, and the NWU's get hot in a 100+F engineroom.
Based on this I'm thinking you may be a fucking shoe (said with the deepest respect....). If you are, you can PM Gatordev or the Websan and they can throw some water wings under your avatar.

exNavyOffRec

Based on this I'm thinking you may be a fucking shoe (said with the deepest respect....). If you are, you can PM Gatordev or the Websan and they can throw some water wings under your avatar.
yes, I have sweated away many pounds in the engineroom in the gulf, and promptly gained it all back upon coming home.

JKid

The intent was to aide in the "everyone's a warrior" campaign. With the Army and Marines getting the bulk of the credit for early successes in OIF and OEF (and well deserved) - and society's willingness to call ANYONE in uniform a hero - is it any wonder why the Navy would look for a way to put its admin clerks and air traffic controllers in some sort of camouflage uniform? We're part of the fight! See, we're wearing camo!

Additionally, as the Navy gets more and more egalitarian, who wouldn't want to put everyone in the same uniform? I mean (roughly) 230 years of tradition wasn't meant for this generation of Sailor.... I mean it was so demeaning to have enlisted men wearing a different uniform from the chiefs and officers. Still waiting for some one to explain to me how dungarees and wash khakis were less functional than the "working" uniform that can not be worn on the flight line / deck and can't be seen on a MOB. //end rant//

Plus, blue NWU's do a great job of camouflaging a sailor while on a grey ship. They blend right in!

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
No more or less than coveralls. Whatever. NWUs at least look militaristic and not like a mechanic.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
No more or less than coveralls. Whatever. NWUs at least look militaristic and not like a mechanic.
and by mechanic do you mean someone who maintains equipment, machines, and other complex gear...? NWUs are the product of insecure naval leadership and a uniform shop in TN run (whether or not the org chart reflects it) by CPOs.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Not gonna argue with you about the makeup of TFU, but NWU is still an improvement over coveralls.