• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

uniform?'s4PriorE's

Status
Not open for further replies.

marti

I was wondering if any of you prior enlisted guys where able to use any of the uniforms you already had in OCS. I know that the working whites and the johnny cash's are similar. What all can be used, or would this be too much of a hassle? Like anyone I'm trying to save a few bucks. I recently received a full seabag from the reserves and with everything still in the wrapper I like to think I could put it to some good use. If anyone had the time and wants to let me know what all I can use I'd really appreciate it.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
the gov't pays you for your initial uniform issue... almost $2k i wouldn't want to attract extra attention by wanting to use your old uniforms. even if it was possible you would have to coordinate with the NEX uniform center and PSD via your candidate officers or class team.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Not to mention that your working whites don't have the loops for the shoulder boards.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
double check on the 2k of cash... If I remember correctly it is more like 600 bucks man.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
either way, your first pay check includes the allowance that should cover whatever is issued on poopie christmas. It's the extra stuff you end up buying later that kills ya.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
if my memory serves me correctly, initial clothing allowance was $1200... then u get $600-$800 more when u graduate OCS.

F414Guy

In the, things required to bring to OCS list, it states that prior enlisted members bring all uniforms. Do they want a complete sea bag or what I have? Don't get me wrong; my bag is 99% complete minus leather gloves. I was told that they take these and give you credit toward O uniforms. I guess it doesn't really matter.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
virtu050 said:
if my memory serves me correctly, initial clothing allowance was $1200... then u get $600-$800 more when u graduate OCS.

are you sure that is a uniform allowance? Almost positive that the only officer uniform allowances is the 600 and 800 dollar payments. You very well could have received another 1200 but I don't think it was a result of uniform costs...

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
the first one is at least 1200, the second one was more like 600. females get a bit more since they've got to buy a bunch of crap we don't

marti

Thanks for all of the info. I have one more question though. Were the married OCs getting family seperation allowance and/or comrats while at OCS? If my memory serves correct guys got seperation allowance on the ship with no comrats and when we where back they would get comrats and no seperation allowance. I'm not really sure because I wasn't married in those days. So it would stand to reason that we may be entitled to family seperation allowance. I am expecting to get E-5 pay at >8 and BAH for Minnesota (where my wife will be). Am I missing anything? Anyone know?

Borncreole

just to piggy back little, did any of you prior Es even break out your old uniforms after you arrived or did they stay in your vehicle. It does say bring them but other than medals/ribbons did you need anything or did they even ask if you had them??

F414Guy

I'm in a unique situation being stationed here in China Lake. I had the chance to talk to the 1st Sergeant at our Marine aviation detachment that just reported from OCS as a DI. I asked him about the requirement of bringing our uniforms and he told me I would get credit for them toward my new ones. I'm not going to say this is or is not true, I will find out when I report. If I don't need them I will donate them to my shipmates by giving them to the thrift store.

digger

There is a speed limit when taxing officer?
I spoke with PSD at OCS today and one of the questions I asked was if I will need my uniforms? I was told that you do not need to bring them; nothing was mentioned about credit for them. Mine will be left at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.