• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniform Regs

KBayDog

Ugg... all I can think about is the example given to us in boot camp to not be the idiot PFC going home during PTAD and sporting his brand new digis at his high school to look cool in front of his high school buddies..... from then on it was ingrained that digis off base = bad and toolish.... maybe I'm a tool for not liking it.... maybe I drunk too much Koolaid....

Something you'll need to get used to if you are to survive in the military...especially in aviation: LETTER of the law vs. SPIRIT of the law.

Col Angus

pilot
That LCpl is way out of line wearing that regardless of whether his recruiter let him wear it or not. ...

Way out of line? For wearing his utilities? Maybe if he was wearing his utilities AND throwing a dog off a cliff he'd be "way out of line." Instead he's probably just a LCpl wearing what he was told to wear.

If you see him again kindly tell him to leave and change into civilian pt gear and if he does not tell him to "standby", then you leave...... this should have him scurrying off to change in no time.

You're gonna be popular in flight school.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Next time I see a large group of Marines at the Padre's game, I'll make sure I verbally destroy each one of them. Including the OIC. This type of behavior has got to stop! And if you senior O's are too chicken to enforce the rules, then I guess it's up to us moto- Lt's!

FOLLOW ME! YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
This is interesting to me because once I saw a couple of Army privates in their BDUs at the movie theater. If I remember correctly I asked on here about it and it wasn't considered a problem. But it seems that at least for Marines and Navy it is a problem to wear your uniform in civilian public when you have no good reason to do so. I didn't care either way, it just seemed out of place.

m26

Contributor
BDUs? The only people I've seen in BDUs recently are the local Seabee reservists. (I actually was on a flight with a guy with BDUs, jump boots, AF patches, and black (?) captain's insignia a few months ago.)

I have seen people buy old BDUs from the Army Navy store and walk around like that. Merits a serious eye-roll.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
BDUs? The only people I've seen in BDUs recently are the local Seabee reservists. (I actually was on a flight with a guy with BDUs, jump boots, AF patches, and black (?) captain's insignia a few months ago.)

I have seen people buy old BDUs from the Army Navy store and walk around like that. Merits a serious eye-roll.

*ACUs

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
This is interesting to me because once I saw a couple of Army privates in their BDUs at the movie theater. If I remember correctly I asked on here about it and it wasn't considered a problem. But it seems that at least for Marines and Navy it is a problem to wear your uniform in civilian public when you have no good reason to do so. I didn't care either way, it just seemed out of place.

The issue is the wearing of "working uniforms" out in town. You can walk around in your whites all day long if you want, but there are regs that deal with where you can/can't wear things like flight suits, wash khakis, dungarees, etc.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
The issue is the wearing of "working uniforms" out in town. You can walk around in your whites all day long if you want, but there are regs that deal with where you can/can't wear things like flight suits, wash khakis, dungarees, etc.

Each service sets their own standard. Big Army says the ACU is allowed in town, at bars, traveling, etc. Zoomies can do the same in their bags, and maybe in the ABU (digi tiger stripes). USMC says no to utilities off base, Navy says no to working uniforms off base. Supposedly the hideous NWU is going to be allowed in town soon, but I'd just rather not. As always, spirit vs letter of the law applies.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Each service sets their own standard. Big Army says the ACU is allowed in town, at bars, traveling, etc. Zoomies can do the same in their bags, and maybe in the ABU (digi tiger stripes). USMC says no to utilities off base, Navy says no to working uniforms off base. Supposedly the hideous NWU is going to be allowed in town soon, but I'd just rather not. As always, spirit vs letter of the law applies.

Right, I was just pointing out to picaroon that you CAN wear your uniform out in town in all services, in spite of the various restrictions of such use on certain uniforms (working uniforms for the USN at least).

pharaelga

Constantly lost in the sauce....
Originally Posted by pharaelga
That LCpl is way out of line wearing that regardless of whether his recruiter let him wear it or not. ...
Way out of line? For wearing his utilities? Maybe if he was wearing his utilities AND throwing a dog off a cliff he'd be "way out of line." Instead he's probably just a LCpl wearing what he was told to wear.

Originally Posted by pharaelga
If you see him again kindly tell him to leave and change into civilian pt gear and if he does not tell him to "standby", then you leave...... this should have him scurrying off to change in no time.
You're gonna be popular in flight school.

I didn't realize the Marine Corps had changed so much in the 4 short years I've been out. It is something that has been drilled into me to not do, so yes I would question a LCpl on the reason why he was wearing digis off base. Maybe things have changed, but all I ever seen the Marines doing PTAD in GA wear, were deltas to match with their recruiter. We did DEP functions at MCLB Albany so there was no issue with camis. The only place I ever saw digis before I hit the footprints, was on the manekin sporting it in the recruiters office. Apparently there is a reason the Marine Corps doesn't want Marines to wear digis in a public setting, men have fought and died in that uniform, its what we do our business in. A PR gimmick maybe, but THAT IS NOT ITS PURPOSE. WE ARENT THE FUCKING ARMY. I understand that as an officer I have SNCOs and NCOs to deal with the leg work of enforcing regulations, so no I wouldnt put him at attention and ream him, but question I would.....

Edit: I suck at the quote thing sorry.....

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I didn't realize the Marine Corps had changed so much in the 4 short years I've been out. It is something that has been drilled into me to not do, so yes I would question a LCpl on the reason why he was wearing digis off base. Maybe things have changed, but all I ever seen the Marines doing PTAD in GA wear, were deltas to match with their recruiter. We did DEP functions at MCLB Albany so there was no issue with camis. The only place I ever saw digis before I hit the footprints, was on the manekin sporting it in the recruiters office. Apparently there is a reason the Marine Corps doesn't want Marines to wear digis in a public setting, men have fought and died in that uniform, its what we do our business in. A PR gimmick maybe, but THAT IS NOT ITS PURPOSE. WE ARENT THE FUCKING ARMY. I understand that as an officer I have SNCOs and NCOs to deal with the leg work of enforcing regulations, so no I wouldnt put him at attention and ream him, but question I would.....

Edit: I suck at the quote thing sorry.....

Um... what?! You are wound way to tightly around the axle on this one. I guess you're one of the guys who tucks his collared shirt into his dockers and wears a braided belt and running shoes when you go out and hit the bar.

Was his uniform filthy and covered in dirt and muck from the field? Probably not.

I'm sure you're going to tell all those Marines supporting the Marathon that they were wrong to wear their cammies out in town, never mind the fact that many more people can identify a Marine by the digis rather than our Chucks.... You're just as bad as the SNCO's that want the black boots back so they can tell who the good Marines are. Get a freaking grip!

pharaelga

Constantly lost in the sauce....
Yea I hazed myself for not wearing a shiny belt buckle to class today. I need to get a grip, I'm surrounded by fucking rules and regulations in this place... do I follow everyone noooo.....but this... this I just dont like it.... I'm sorry so many Marines disagree with this.... whatever cant please everybody nor will I ever try. I've caught more grief on this forum than at the Academy or in the Marine Corps combined.... this place almost seems a little unreal lol.... because I was an OK Marine and an alright Midshipman.... but here I'm the dick and asshole who cant get over himself and is generally pissing everybody off..... not even trying too.... damn.... whatever, I've seen a couple of other newbies get destroyed for "dumb" questions.... alot of people here really need to get a grip because you guys take this a little too seriously.....

gotta_fly

pilot
I didn't realize the Marine Corps had changed so much in the 4 short years I've been out.

FYI the recruiter that worked with my high school wore digis on a pretty regular basis, as did the junior guys who were doing PTAD with him, and it worked well (I almost got talked into DEP after receiving my ROTC scholarship). This was > 4 years ago, so maybe the Marine Corps hasn't changed as much as you think. Not to beat a dead horse here, but I think most of us are in agreement that the rules regarding working uniforms can be flexible when it comes to "showing the flag" for things like community service and recruiting.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I know it's dangerous, but look at the intent of the regs. The idea is that MCCUU is a working uniform, and so one shouldn't just be wearing it around in a casual, non-military environment without a good reason, i.e. doing a military function that calls for it. Going to the video store, theater, mall--not good reasons. Supporting poolie functions as directed by one's SNOIC/OIC-probably okay.

When I was in NROTC, we had to do our field training in a state park, not a military installation. Was the MOI supposed to hump a pack in his charlies?

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
Yea I hazed myself for not wearing a shiny belt buckle to class today. I need to get a grip, I'm surrounded by fucking rules and regulations in this place... do I follow everyone noooo.....but this... this I just dont like it.... I'm sorry so many Marines disagree with this.... whatever cant please everybody nor will I ever try. I've caught more grief on this forum than at the Academy or in the Marine Corps combined.... this place almost seems a little unreal lol.... because I was an OK Marine and an alright Midshipman.... but here I'm the dick and asshole who cant get over himself and is generally pissing everybody off..... not even trying too.... damn.... whatever, I've seen a couple of other newbies get destroyed for "dumb" questions.... alot of people here really need to get a grip because you guys take this a little too seriously.....

Well then...glad we got that cleared up.