• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniform Regs

donnyglaze

Before I start getting random shots in the dark, this is a question in the Marine Forum. No offense to anyone, but last time I asked a question, I got answers dealing with Navy issues that are completely foreign to me.
authorized to wear our cammies.

This is my situation: I am home on leave, and I was at the local high school today after school was out. I walk to the track, and I see MARPAT walking up. I go up to talk to the LCpl, and it turns out he's a recruiter and he's sitting there watching a few kids that are going to Boot Camp after high school run stairs and PT. I just thought it was strange that he was in cammies in a civilian situation. I looked through the Uniform Board Site, and I didn't find anything about recruiters and their wearing of cammies. Any thoughts?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Recruiters are different. I'm sure someone who's done recruiting duty can chime in with specifics, but their main goal is get the uniform and thus the Marine Corps, out there in the public eye. Usually, they're in chucks or deltas, but I've seen them do some functions in cammies. What I haven't seen, is a LCpl on recruiting duty, though. Seems a bit junior to be doing that, but I admittedly don't know all the ins and outs of who can do every job in the Marine Corps.

As far as where the regs are, you can find them on the usmc.mil website - http://www.marines.mil/searchcenter/Pages/results.aspx?k=uniform regulations&s=All Sites

m26

Contributor
Sounds like they were DEPers. When I was trying to enlist back in the day (06) the recruiter would take the DEP kids out to work out regularly to get them ready for boot. I was under the impression that this was part of the recruiter's job. (i.e. an on-duty function)

Was there anything to indicate otherwise?

edit: Yes, Navy, but I looked into all the services and I got the impression it was the same case everywhere.

pharaelga

Constantly lost in the sauce....
NOT AUTHORIZED what so ever in any civilian capacity. That LCpl is way out of line wearing that regardless of whether his recruiter let him wear it or not. The regulations clearly state that we do not wear our MARPAT utilities off of any military installation. I could barely stop for gas at my old unit wearing MARPAT let alone host a damn civilian DEPer function off base. If you see him again kindly tell him to leave and change into civilian pt gear and if he does not tell him to "standby", then you leave...... this should have him scurrying off to change in no time.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
My OSO and his staff wore utilities to supervise PFT's from time to time. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
NOT AUTHORIZED what so ever in any civilian capacity. That LCpl is way out of line wearing that regardless of whether his recruiter let him wear it or not. The regulations clearly state that we do not wear our MARPAT utilities off of any military installation. I could barely stop for gas at my old unit wearing MARPAT let alone host a damn civilian DEPer function off base. If you see him again kindly tell him to leave and change into civilian pt gear and if he does not tell him to "standby", then you leave...... this should have him scurrying off to change in no time.

Or you know, you could find out what the situation is before you come off the top rope and look like some douche bag motard lieutenant.

It's people like you who ruin bag-striking.

pharaelga

A. THE MCCUU IS NOT AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR AT OFFICIAL / UNOFFICIAL FUNCTIONS AND CONFERENCES HELD OFF-BASE OR OFF GOVERNMENT INSTALLATIONS AND FACILITIES.

The order from almar35/07... just for reference do as you please.... lol.

Edit: Ok, ok I'm sorry I realize I'm no longer a cpl.... I must be civilized in handling such incidents. :icon_smil

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
A. THE MCCUU IS NOT AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR AT OFFICIAL / UNOFFICIAL FUNCTIONS AND CONFERENCES HELD OFF-BASE OR OFF GOVERNMENT INSTALLATIONS AND FACILITIES.

The order from almar35/07... just for reference do as you please.... lol.

Semper Yut...gotta love a MOPED....

pharaelga

Marine officer prior enlisted dick.... I get it!!! I sing myself to sleep with the MC hymn and scream 1775 everytime I wake up.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Well I would say that I have seen and participated in several activities in violation of uniform code just for the sake of convenience or even for the sake of public relations. Pretty hard to not wear your bags out in town to eat when you are on an out and in or a cross country and that is all that you have with you. I've also been instructed to wear them to a couple community events that I have done off base. Against regs? Yes, but squeeze has a point....there is a time and a place for everything, don't get me wrong, but I'd have to venture a guess that absolutely nobody in the general public is offended by a set of sharp MARPATS or bags out in town, save a few grumpy retired folks or SWOs. That being said, if you are going to show some pride in your uniform of choice, certainly make sure it looks crisp and clean and that you don't make a fool out of yourself in public with your behavior. Can't count how many times I have heard junior E's in the local mall in their authorized uniforms perpetuating the phrase "mouth like a sailor" in front of children and g'ma and g'pa. That, to me, is far more offensive than any working uniform....gives us a bad name, and makes the community not want us around. Even if you think you are at the bottom of the totem pole and responsible only to your NCO, you still have a responsibility to make a good example to the folks out in town. We're probably in agreement here, but I simply argue that a working uniform doesn't always = bad example......it's your conduct that can and will.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The LCpl was probably home on PTAD doing recruiter's assistance and trying to earn a few extra points for his cutting score.

Honestly, let's sanity check ourselves. Recruiter using an unauthorized uniform as a PR tool--okay. Sliming around town doing errands in it--not okay.

I know a very successful OSO who wore his flight suit all around campus. His CO asked him about it, but saw how many contacts the guy was getting and told him to rock on.

Wearing your authorized uniforms and acting or carrying oneself like a jackass is infinitely worse than bending the rules on the unauthorized ones.

The reasonable man rule has to apply somehow. Marines have told me how some uber-moto jackasses will knock on their car window while they're sitting in a parking lot waiting for their wives. They're wearing cammies IN THE CAR.

On the other hand, the "reasonable stop" rule was so abused that it screwed things up for everyone. "Going to the bank" meant jetting in to get money, not sitting for an hour to apply for a loan.

//end ramble

pharaelga

Ugg... all I can think about is the example given to us in boot camp to not be the idiot PFC going home during PTAD and sporting his brand new digis at his high school to look cool in front of his high school buddies..... from then on it was ingrained that digis off base = bad and toolish.... maybe I'm a tool for not liking it.... maybe I drunk too much Koolaid....