• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UAVs, not just an Air Force gig anymore

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pretty much what Squorch said earlier in thread[/QUOTE
The difference was PILOT vs. AW.

Ah so. My bad. I've run across other "point and click" UAVs being flown by maintainers so it may end being like the duty X-Box as to who gets to fly. One of the issues on smaller hulls like LCS, X-craft (Sea Fighter), HSV/JSV and even the older PCs is having enough crew to stand watches so many members have to cross-train to accomplish the mission(s).

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Sounds like a good problem for you.

And yes, many are the socially-awkward, anti-poon nerd types (mostly SWO's or the nuke type of course). But there are always the few who remember we are college students who like to chase girls and drink.

We were up there Friday.

Whoah whoah whoah, careful there, I'm SWO/IP BDCP and I chase tail and drink like it's my *job*. I'm also in a similar situation up here at MSU - don't really know anybody else in the program.

However, on an unrelated note the LCS-1/-2 look freaking awesome. Why, exactly, was a stop-work order issued on further ships?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Whoah whoah whoah, careful there, I'm SWO/IP BDCP and I chase tail and drink like it's my *job*. I'm also in a similar situation up here at MSU - don't really know anybody else in the program.

However, on an unrelated note the LCS-1/-2 look freaking awesome. Why, exactly, was a stop-work order issued on further ships?

When should you be expecting your unemployment check?

bbf7b2

pilot

At least being at MSU is probably better than my hippie ass school where everyone thinks I'm off to go napalm children and club some baby seals while they sit around and smoke pot at 1500 in the middle of the quad. :icon_rage

As for the LCS I'm guessing the contract cancelation had something to do with being grossly over budget after completing just the lead ship of the class and that ship being so riddled with problems that they're still working on a few items around the ship.

This has some pretty good info:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/lcs.htm

osu33

I wish I knew you guys were going to be there...

We'll be back in Cleveland in late December. PM me or Kcott if you wanna meet up. We had no idea where to go... the one good place we found was some Irish pub - its name is long forgotten.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
At least being at MSU is probably better than my hippie ass school where everyone thinks I'm off to go napalm children and club some baby seals while they sit around and smoke pot at 1500 in the middle of the quad. :icon_rage

As for the LCS I'm guessing the contract cancelation had something to do with being grossly over budget after completing just the lead ship of the class and that ship being so riddled with problems that they're still working on a few items around the ship.

This has some pretty good info:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/lcs.htm

MSU is definitely riddled with ignorant, pretentious, pseudo-intellectual morons who are quick to give you the stink eye if you mention joining the military, but I don't associate with any of them because they're dipshits. I also take great solace in the notion that most of those morons will be "starving artists" for the next twenty years while I'm seeing the world and actually serving my country instead of just whining about it and slitting my wrists like those morons.:D

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So anyway.

Has there been any thought as to how they're going to organize the UAVs for deployment? Will they be mixed in with the helo squadron and part of the same det, or will the FireScouts be in their own squadrons?

bbf7b2

pilot
So anyway.

Has there been any thought as to how they're going to organize the UAVs for deployment? Will they be mixed in with the helo squadron and part of the same det, or will the FireScouts be in their own squadrons?

They didn't mention anything when we were seeing the ship, but I didn't ask. Maybe someone else has heard something.

osu33

So anyway.

Has there been any thought as to how they're going to organize the UAVs for deployment?

LT Briggs said they would carry either 6-8 (can't remember exact number) Firescouts in their recon area/hanger OR two 60s. Didn't say anything about a hybrid of the two airframes... however I assume they could easily do both. The amount of empty space they have on that ship amazed me; however, that will change as they haven't put in their mission packages yet.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Current plans are to have the Fire Scout be attached directly to the det in lieu of a second helicopter which can't fit on there anyway. The helo det will be in charge of and maintain both helos. The larger idea is that the helo, Fire Scout and all the support stuff comes as one module that can be swapped out for, say, a MIW or ASW or ASuW module as needs dictate.