• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UAVs, not just an Air Force gig anymore

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Doesn't the Navy have a Scan Eagle contract for them to deploy aboard various ships? That shit they use for fuel is nasty, dangerous stuff, though. The thought of 6 drums of that stuff going up on a hangar deck is frightening.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Put me in coach...I'm ready to play..."

geekgamer.jpg

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Is the Navy requiring a winged aviator to fly it? If so, how long until HSL bubbas are dual qualed?

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Does the winged individual serve as an official Mission Commander, and is there any other rating/designator/whatever you call it that can? I only ask because us Marine folk have a requirement to be either a 75XX or a 72XX MOS to do so. I got roped into working as a Scan Eagle MC in Afghanistan because I was the only 72/75XX person who was consistently co-located with the ground control station.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fire Scout Brief

Although this is dated from almost a year ago, this PMA-266 Fire Scout brief shows that Fire Scout was decoupled from deployment with LCS so it could achieve IOC on another Air Capable ship (as seen in photos). Brief also shows several mission scenarios and "coupling" with either MH-60R or S variants.

vas_712.jpg

Is the Navy requiring a winged aviator to fly it? If so, how long until HSL bubbas are dual qualed?

Air Force is hard over in its position that rated "aviators" (pilots or navs with an instrument rating) should operate their UAVs, but they are focused on higher altitudes with their Global Hawk, Reaper sand Preds. Army is diametrically opposed with their focus on lower altitudes and much smaller UAV variants. They are introducing their own Predator and Fire Scout variants so Air Force has tried to take Executive "Ownership" of UAVs twice now, but were rebuffed at OSD level both in both attempts. Navy has 2 Global Hawks as Maritime Demonstrators (gift to NGC when Fire Scout false-started several years ago) and is working the N-UCAS carrier based UAS as well a BAMS surveillance UAS that will serve alongside the P-8. Those higher end UAS will likely require winged aviators at the GCS. The lower end of the Naval UAS spectrum is much more like the Army model.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Air Force is hard over in its position that rated "aviators" (pilots or navs with an instrument rating) should operate their UAVs

I always thought that was because the FARs were hard over in their position that UAVs in US airspace had to be controlled by rated pilots. No?

<off to download new copy of FAR/AIM>

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I always thought that was because the FARs were hard over in their position that UAVs in US airspace had to be controlled by rated pilots. No?

<off to download new copy of FAR/AIM>

Plenty of all sorts of UAVs are flown virtually every day by other than non rated "operators". They just aren't in the National Airspace/Airways. What happens in the MOA, stays in the MOA.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Air Force is hard over in its position that rated "aviators" (pilots or navs with an instrument rating) should operate their UAVs, but they are focused on higher altitudes with their Global Hawk, Reaper sand Preds.

I've also heard (from the old man) that the AF wants rated guys flying them due to the weapons and what not they are carrying. They want guys who have been trained to fire weapons from airplanes firing weapons from airplanes. The Reaper is a pretty serious bombtruck. Not that we don't have E-dogs as tank commanders and artillery guys who make pretty much the same decisions (Though they do have O's looking over their shoulders). Maybe it's a jobs program to ensure that the Air Force will always have their rated guys on top? It wouldn't surprise me. :confused:

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Where are you getting that info? I'm not saying you're wrong I'm just curious. I had never heard that plan.
I got it from the NG guys at NHA this past year... I'll try to firm it up when I get back from leave.