• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UAVs, not just an Air Force gig anymore

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
My guess is that, since a lot of this info comes from the USAF, this is a subtle push to continue to use rated pilots for UAVs and also ease up on the "optempo" problems that they have.

Then again, maybe I'm just cynical.

jdbryan

Yes getting "shipped" of to war to Las Vegas must really suck.:D

There are pilots on the ground in the AOR, to get the drones off the runway, the pilots at Nellis dont take over until it reaches about 1000 feet. It is sometimes difficult to make the transition from nellis back to the pilot in the AOR in the communications area.
These pilots also are being extremely overworked. Since most of the predator pilots are all actual fighter pilots temorarily assigned to meet the current demands, there are not enough to go around. These pilots still have to keep their current certifications on their assigned aircraft as well.

Just my $.02

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
These pilots also are being extremely overworked.

That's a matter of perspective.

Since most of the predator pilots are all actual fighter pilots temorarily assigned to meet the current demands, there are not enough to go around.

Because that's what the USAF chose to do.

These pilots still have to keep their current certifications on their assigned aircraft as well.

Also because that's how the USAF chose to do it.

Just my $.02

I'm not attacking you, it's just that you are giving the standard USAF party line about UAVs and their pilots. This is exactly what the USAF wants people to glean from that article, I'm guessing.

jdbryan

I agree, the air force went into the predator program ill equipped and not ready. I dont think however, they were expecting such huge success and the increased demand from the program so soon. I heard they are trying to make it an actual career field, and not have pilots do double duty, but you know how long new programs take to get started.
Also, the pilots in the AOR have to account for wind conditions, etc. thats why they get it for the last 1000 feet, which sometimes isnt enough distance if there is a gap or delay in the transfer of communication.

They chose to make the pilots keep their current certs, because it is more expensive to have to re-certify someone. That requires more time in training, plus an additional pilot as a "trainer". So it makes sense to save money, yet they could just adjust their requirements for certification.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
These pilots still have to keep their current certifications on their assigned aircraft as well.

I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground, but I know a couple of guys...

I am under the impression that a predator/reaper slot is basically treated like a staff tour in the fact that your community still "owns" you for a period of time (5 years maybe? again... ass... hole in the ground...). When you are done with the UAV tour you go back to the B course for your airplane, unless you have been out of touch for those X amount of years in which you SOL. What you are saying is that people are still keeping their curriencies in their airframe while working a predator tour? Did this change recently?

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Folks in the field might view them that way, but I can assure you that the guys cutting the checks do not agree.

That was straight from the CC's mouth talking to him in the big secret room at Creech.

They are willing to sacrifice them under certain conditions.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
That was straight from the CC's mouth talking to him in the big secret room at Creech.

They are willing to sacrifice them under certain conditions.

Sacrifice them for an operational objective - yes. Prang them off runways because it is "just a UAV" - no.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
They had a predator unit at the base I was at in Iraq and a lot of their mishaps happen on landing. Anytime we knew one was landing we would try to watch it land because we wanted to see a crash.
Can't you just set the landing mode to "easy" like in the other simulations?:icon_smil

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sacrifice them for an operational objective - yes. Prang them off runways because it is "just a UAV" - no.

Exactly.

Have they sacrificed some, yes. Has it happened often? No.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
UAV's spotted at Corpus?

Per the NOTAMS and ATIS, we've got UAV's working out of here this week. I didn't see them, has anyone spotted them or know what they're doing here? CBP perhaps?

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
Saw one land today. Bigger than I thought it would be. Seems like a nice job flying sitting an air-conditioned room, seeing when I got in the cockpit today the temperature gauge was reading 45 Degrees C.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Saw one land today. Bigger than I thought it would be. Seems like a nice job flying sitting an air-conditioned room, seeing when I got in the cockpit today the temperature gauge was reading 45 Degrees C.

If you think that's a flying job...please volunteer...cause I don't want a damn thing to do with it.:sleep_125

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I saw one while driving over the "High Bridge" this weekend. Sunday afternoon, IIRC.

It was weird, I spotted the V-tail right off and thought it might be a Bonanza, then I looked closer, and realized what it was.

Kinda scary, as there was a T-1 inbound for CRP (or so it looked) that looked like it was going to smack right into it. :eek: