• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UAVs, not just an Air Force gig anymore

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
I suppose I thought I'd be preaching to the choir on this one. Perhaps I should brush up on my flight simulator skills.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
elaborate please

It's not so much an officer vs enlisted question, but a "rated" vs "non-rated" one. Air Force uses rated and experienced "aviators" (incudes Navigators) to operate their UAVs (Predator and Global Hawk). Army uses enlisted personnel trained to operate their UAVs. Navy will likely have both based on legacy of smaller UAVs operated by VC-6 Dets and the more sophisticated UAVs comig down the pike. USMC has smaller UAVs operated by enlisted personnel.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
But what the hell do I know...my platform's going to get succeeded by a blimp.

Hindenburg_burning.jpg

Lawman

None
Point taken... but my point still rests more with the "if the infantrymen is at risk, why should aircrew be special and get to sit out of the fight?"

Because your worth more. :eek:

There I said it. Im not saying your life is worth more as everybody goes into the same 6 foot hole whether your a Private or a General. But the skill set and experiance that are lost for the grunt infantry guy pale in comparison to the skill set and experiance for a Pilot/NFO/Crew.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Eh, the Syrians? Not so good when it comes to trying to shoot guys down..........

Now when they get an SA-10 or SA-20, then they might cause some problems.......:eek:

Ah, yes the S-400. What was it that Sergey Sokut said in regards to it "There will be no desert storm over Russia" so dramatic...:D

Guess that means we need to hurry up the development on that hypersonic missile
0107global_main.jpg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ah, yes the S-400. What was it that Sergey Sokut said in regards to it "There will be no desert storm over Russia" so dramatic...:D

Actually the S-400 is the SA-21, it will make you day even worse than an SA-10 or 20.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Actually the S-400 is the SA-21, it will make you day even worse than an SA-10 or 20.
Yeah, I accidentally carried the one there... Stupid question (but not necessarily about naval aviation), which of "our more persnickity current adversaries" has the most badass IAD?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, I accidentally carried the one there... Stupid question (but not necessarily about naval aviation), which of "our more persnickity current adversaries" has the most badass IAD?

Do you want to expand that to potential adversaries?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

That would be for the SIPR side of AW.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Damn, no soup for me...:D

How about this, tell me your favorite dish that is distinct to one country... I'm guessing Persian Kabab's with khoresht and basmati?:tongue2_1

Not necessarily...this guy has no life other than to diagram SAM sites. Check out his blog and decide for yourself.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Because your worth more. :eek:

There I said it. Im not saying your life is worth more as everybody goes into the same 6 foot hole whether your a Private or a General. But the skill set and experiance that are lost for the grunt infantry guy pale in comparison to the skill set and experiance for a Pilot/NFO/Crew.

The skill set for a Pilot/NFO/Crew is no doubt going to cost more money... however I would say that its something different to say that a pilot is "worth more" than an infantry officer. just my opinion. Were you speaking in terms of training costs or battlefield assets?