• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UAVs, not just an Air Force gig anymore

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
High risk ground jobs are already being taken on by unmanned ground vehicles. Witness the myriad EOD robots, as well as the prototypes of weapons-toting robots and automated trucks. Someday most of the vehicles in a convoy will be automated. The problems right now are that it's easier to build a robot to travel in the air than the ground, you'd have to replace thousands of infantry vice hundreds of planes, and the fact that robots can't talk effectively to the local populace (yes, they can have loudspeakers, but you won't build much rapport in an urban area that way). Right now the robots are niche players, but as they develop, they may end up doing most of the actual shooting. If Akmed puts 10 of his in harms way, and I risk 0 while still being able to engage him, that's nothing but goodness--warrior ethos or not.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Its good yes, but puts you and I out of a job in a way. I know an Air Force pilot that went from KC-135s to UAVs. Needless to say he didn't look very happy about the change.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Buggy whip makers and telegraph clerks were pretty pissed off at some time too. Eventually it works out for the best.

As the Dread Pirate Roberts once said,"There's always piracy." Or in our case, perhaps mercenary, excuse me, private military company, work.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Buggy whip makers and telegraph clerks were pretty pissed off at some time too. Eventually it works out for the best.

As the Dread Pirate Roberts once said,"There's always piracy." Or in our case, perhaps mercenary, excuse me, private military company, work.

pretty optomistic for you phrog! Is some of that holiday cheer rubbing off on you?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There was a time when Navy Air was fighting tooth-and-nail against Tomahawk for many of these same reasons. Lots of Veet Nam-era dudes, "we weren't afraid to go Downtown back in my day," etc and so on. Then the '91 Desert Adventure happened and everyone realized that more cruise missiles means less letters to grieving widows and mothers. Ever seen the air defenses of some of our more persnickity current adversaries? I'm assuming you high school fellows and Bright-Eyed Ensigns have not. I have. Eff that, let the robots go in.

But what the hell do I know...my platform's going to get succeeded by a blimp.