• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TSA Headed for Extinction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A35333-2005Apr7.html

Air Security Agency Faces Reduced Role
Stone Is Third Chief to Leave

By Sara Kehaulani Goo
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, April 8, 2005; Page A01

The Transportation Security Administration, once the flagship agency in the nation's $20 billion effort to protect air travelers, is now targeted for sharp cuts in its high-profile mission.

The latest sign came yesterday when the Bush administration asked David M. Stone, the TSA's director, to step down in June, according to aviation and government sources. Stone is the third top administrator to leave the three-year-old agency, which was created in the chaos and patriotism following the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. The TSA absorbed divisions of other agencies, including the Federal Aviation Administration, only to find itself the subject of a massive Department of Homeland Security reorganization.

The TSA has been plagued by operational missteps, public relations blunders and criticism of its performance from the public and legislators. Its "No Fly" list has mistakenly snared senators. Its security screeners have been arrested for stealing from luggage, and its passenger pat-downs have set off an outcry from women.

Under provisions of President Bush's 2006 budget proposal favored by Congress, the TSA will lose its signature programs in the reorganization of Homeland Security. The agency will probably become just a manager of airport security screeners -- a responsibility that itself could diminish as private screening companies increasingly seek a comeback at U.S. airports. The agency's very existence, in fact, remains an open question, given that the legislation creating the Department of Homeland Security contains a clause permitting the elimination of the TSA as a "distinct entity" after November 2004.

"TSA, at the end of the day, is going to look more like the Postal Service," said Paul C. Light, a public service professor at New York University and a Brookings Institution scholar who has tracked the agency since its birth in February 2002. Light calls the TSA "one of the federal government's greatest successes of the past half-century" and likens it to the creation in the late 1950s of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, which was also born during great public excitement to serve an urgent national need.

But the TSA's time in the spotlight is over, and it should now step back to serve a more narrow role, Light said. "It's a labor-intensive delivery organization that is not going to be making many public policy decisions. Its basic job is to train and deploy screeners," he said.

Bush administration officials say they do not expect the demise of the TSA, adding they will know little about the future of the agency until new Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff completes his review of the department, which will probably prompt major changes.

"TSA has taken significant steps to enhance the nation's transportation and aviation security over the course of the past two years, and TSA continues to have the confidence, not only of nation's air travelers, but of departmental leadership, to continue in this important mission," said Brian Roehrkasse, a Homeland Security spokesman. "Secretary Chertoff is open to adjustments in the way that DHS does business but will not advocate for or against any change until a thorough review of the changes is complete." The review is expected to be completed in May or June.

The government has pumped more money into airline security than any other Homeland Security effort. Much of it goes toward salaries for more than 45,000 security screeners at over 400 airports.

Travelers know the TSA mostly by its operations at the airport security checkpoint, a highly public role that magnifies the agency's smallest blunders and often forces it to defend itself.

"Most Republicans didn't want to create this [agency] in the first place. Democrats see security as an easy target. So you don't have anyone to defend it," said C. Stewart Verdery Jr., a former assistant secretary for policy and planning at Homeland Security's border and transportation security directorate, which includes the TSA. "If someone sneaks a knife through an airport, it makes the news. If the Coast Guard misses a drug boat, no one hears about it."

The TSA won early plaudits for swiftly building the first new federal agency in decades and restoring confidence in the nation's aviation system. It achieved 51 goals demanded by Congress under tight deadlines and took over many responsibilities from the FAA, including the expansion and operation of a program of undercover air marshals. At its peak, it had 66,000 federal employees and met deadlines that were unthinkable by the federal government, installing luggage-scanning technology and hiring a new workforce of airport security screeners within a year.

Bit by bit, however, the agency's responsibilities have steadily dwindled through a succession of directors. Many of its operations have been folded into Homeland Security, which it joined in 2003. The TSA scrapped early plans to create a broad law-enforcement division. The air marshals, who lobbied to leave the agency, were transferred to the department's Immigration and Customs Enforcement division -- to the dismay of TSA leaders. Next, the explosives unit left. Now, the agency's high-tech research labs in Atlantic City are also going to another division of the department.

Last week, momentum accelerated in the push to replace federal screeners with private contractors at the nation's airports. FirstLine Transportation Security, a Cleveland-area private security firm, became the first company to win approval for liability coverage under the SAFETY Act, which means that if the firm takes over checkpoints, claims will be capped in the event of a terrorist attack. The move clears a major hurdle in the return of private screening companies. The law creating the TSA allowed for federal screeners to be replaced by private companies after two years.

"We need to step back and look at the billions of dollars we spent on the system, which doesn't provide much more protection than we had before 9/11," said Rep. John L. Mica (R-Fla.), referring to tests conducted by the Department of Homeland Security inspector general that gave a "poor" rating to TSA screeners for their ability to catch weapons at checkpoints. Mica, a key lawmaker who helped write the law that created the agency and chairs the House aviation subcommittee, would like to see private contractors take over screening jobs at airports. "TSA was something we put in place in an emergency, but it needs to evolve. You could whittle TSA down to a very small organization and do a much better job."

Each of the TSA's three leaders has had a distinct management style and approach to security, creating a culture of perpetual change. Its first leader, John W. Magaw, was a former head of the U.S. Secret Service who wanted to make the TSA into a broad law enforcement agency with police at every checkpoint and agents directing investigations at airports. After six months of protest from Congress and the airline industry, Magaw was replaced by a popular, industry-friendly former Coast Guard commandant, James M. Loy. Loy spent much of his first year getting rid of what he called Magaw's "stupid rules" such as the secondary screening at the gates. Loy was so well liked that he was promoted to the number two job at Homeland Security, from which he resigned along with former secretary Tom Ridge earlier this year.

Stone, the TSA's current leader, is new to Washington and has been known for his cautious -- some say near paranoid -- approach to security. He presides over a much slimmer TSA, with 52,000 employees, and said he supports the president's proposed changes and is happy to give up programs -- even large ones. "I'm a big optimist," Stone said in a recent interview in his office, which looks out on the side of the Pentagon hit by an American Airlines jet in the 2001 attacks. "I'm not really concerned about turf if that's what is best for the American people. I want to look back 10 years from now and say we did it right at TSA."

TSA and Homeland Security spokesmen declined to comment on Stone's departure. "We don't discuss personnel issues," Roehrkasse said.

Every morning, Stone begins a daily two- to four-hour intelligence meeting, in which he and 40 of his top managers review incident reports from the country's 429 major airports and from train, bus and trucking systems. They comb reports of evacuated terminals, unruly passengers and unattended bags, looking for the next big threat.

Travelers, airport workers and flight crew members involved in incidents are nominated to the government's "watch lists," meaning they will be singled out for extra screening the next time they arrive at an airport. So-called "selectees" wind up on the agency's secret list because they disrupted a flight -- not necessarily because they are viewed as terrorists. For at least six months, the selectees will be pulled aside for extra scrutiny every time they fly. Several thousand names are believed to be on the list.

Stone, 52, said the exercise shows that the TSA still serves a critical role in the nation's intelligence network. He has told Chertoff that he hopes the agency will keep this role.

Airlines have complained that hundreds, if not thousands, of innocent passengers, and even pilots, have been added to the TSA's selectee list or that some names are confused with those on the "No Fly" list, subjecting travelers to hassles.

At a February meeting between the TSA and 18 major carriers, airline representatives were asked who had crew members on the list and "they all raised their hands," said one airline source who was present. Airline officials said crew members on the list must be stripped of their badges and cannot perform their duties, according to TSA rules.

Stone said "one or two" pilots who are approved to carry guns in the cockpit have been put on the selectee list in the past year. He said he recalls a "handful" of other pilots who have been added to the selectee list because they were involved in "outrageous" incidents. He cited an incident last year in which an intoxicated pilot punched a patron at a restaurant and threatened him.

"We take all of these incidents seriously, and we work to resolve them quickly because we know that people's livelihoods are at stake," said Mark Hatfield, a TSA spokesman.

Stone faces the challenge of keeping the TSA's workforce motivated. Many screeners took their jobs expecting that the new agency would provide a path to a federal career. At a recent hearing, Stone acknowledged that screeners suffer from low morale. According to an internal survey last year, 35 percent of employees are satisfied with their job.

Stone said other security directors sympathize with him, saying: "You've got the toughest job in federal government. You're under the gun for every little thing. You're constantly under the microscope."

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Didn't get to read the whole thing yet, but to add onto that, Stone is now stepping down, meaning 3 directors in 3 years. Must be helluva stressful job.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My personal favorite is the fat guys screening luggage on whom you can read an obscene T-shirt underneath the white uniform. Very confidence inspiring

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Didn't read the article, but I hate the TSA.

Nearly every flight I am on, I get pulled to the side for extra screening. Many people I know in the military say the same thing, so I am wondering if military personnel are somehow getting "hooked up," by the TSA...

Back when I was reporting to MCT, I flew in my Alphas (Yeah, 100% Boot maneuver, I know). They pulled me aside and screened me in my Service Alpha's. People were boarding the plane looking at the guy wanding me like "Are you nuts?" Edit: I think this happened before the TSA was invented actually...it was less than a month after the WTC attacks.

When I was flying to Quantico in 2003, I had my seabag packed real tight. Checked it. Go through the approximately 10,000,000 hour line to go through the metal detectors, and settled down at the termainal. They page me to go all the way back to the ticket counter where they were screening luggage, and the guy made a big deal about how I had padlocked the seabag.

I pop the padlock, open the seabag, he pulls out ONE BOOT (Keep my boots on top) and says "Wow, you did a GREAT JOB packing this thing, ok...you can lock it back up now."
That was definitely worth another 34,234 hours at the metal detectors...

--

Do they still have the National Guard at any airports in the States? That was great...a bunch of fat guys in ill-fitting, sloppy looking camouflage uniforms running around the terminal with M16's...

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Yes and no... they're no longer there as National Guardsmen; they traded in their cammies and rifles for their day jobs with the TSA!

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Do they still have the National Guard at any airports in the States? That was great...a bunch of fat guys in ill-fitting, sloppy looking camouflage uniforms running around the terminal with M16's...
eddiemac0 said:
Yes and no... they're no longer there as National Guardsmen; they traded in their cammies and rifles for their day jobs with the TSA!

Meaning...a bunch of fat guys in ill-fitting, sloppy looking TSA uniforms running around the terminal with walkie-talkies and an angry look on their face?

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
And what's the deal with the ever-present fat woman in pants that are so tight, it's like body paint! I mean, so tight, you can see the little teeth in the zipper holding on, screaming for dear life!

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Patmack18 said:
Seriously... they took a bunch ****in' retards that were inept security screeners, gave em a 4 hour lecture and federal benefits and pay, and now you have a bunch of over payed inept screeners.

Funniest thing I've read in a while!! (True though)

KBayDog

You see, they'd better never let me fly. Why? Because I could board a plane butt naked, not keistering anything, and still whoop up on anyone on that plane.

One Mind, Any Weapon

You see, TSA, I am a Grey Belt Ninja. It's better than two seasons in the octagon. I can move, block, strike with the best of them. I can not only elbow you from low to high; I can also elbow you from high to low. I can throw you over my hip. I can even roll you into submission, provided we are on a padded floor, with plenty of room all around, and you are a "suitcase attacker."

"That's right!...I am dangerous."

Never fear, TSA, because I am on your side. If anyone acts up on my flight, thereby interrupting my movie or my train of thought (usually focused on "Has ANYONE ever ordered ANYTHING from SkyMall?), there are going to be some serious lead hand punches and counters to a front choke.

Like this. Do that.

Check out the name tag. You're in my world now, terrorist!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have never seen a guy in military uniform singled out unless the metal detector went off. If the metal detector alarms the screener must have you walk through again (used to not be allowed) and make it ok or go to seondary. Most of our uniforms and shoes set off the dectors. I'm not saying they find everything, but their are procedures and rules they must follow just as you do. You all know we have stupid rules in the military. ORM forms and approval of weekend activities anyone? My observations have been that guys in cammies who are believed to be on leave from OIF or OEF are sent to the fron t of the secruity line. Just last week a I saw a guy, not in uniform but with a high and tight haircut and green bag (they did check for his mil ID), offered head of the line when he had to leave the concourse and come back. The officer said he was doing it because he "saw" he was military. There are lots of goof balls out there. But most are doing their best in a very tedious thankless job with mounds of nutty rules.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
TSA Headed for Extinction ... ??? We can only hope so .... or at least a MAJOR rework.

You would be stunned at the number of times I have been stopped, pulled aside, and scrutinized when in full uniform in front of the passengers. I have always been amazed at the vacuousness of the bureaucratic mindset that doesn't seem to grasp the most basic premise:

I HAVE THE KEYS TO THE AIRPLANE !!! I AM DRIVING THE FREAK'IN AIRPLANE !!!

Sure, you might say --- and so were the 9/11 hijackers --- but the big difference is that I show up at check-in "resplendent" with Four Stripes on my sleeve, scrambled eggs on my cap (and not from breakfast, either), flight bag, suitcase, and 17 member crew --- a little different, don't you think ?? --- but not in the eyes of the TSA. They "know" that we will give them very little crap and they can count on us bolstering their "quota" of pax inspected ....

But then something funny happened one day on the way to the airplane.
2817L.jpg
One of the first times (really close, post-9/11) "they" tried to confiscate my nail clippers because of the "assault file" that was attached --- I said, "NO". They said, "fine, you cannot go on" .... I said, "Fine, lets' call Crew Schedules and YOU can tell them why I will not be in Honolulu to fly the trip tomorrow". A supervisor appeared and: Case closed .... and I kept my nail clippers. (I have other FAA/TSA/Security horror stories ... maybe later ...)

I had to stand my ground and not give up the nail clippers --- do you know how hard it is to fly the aircraft .... LIKE THIS !!! :

25476xo.jpg
..... ASK HIM ...
hughes-spruce.jpg

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
firefriendly said:
No when I fly they typically push me to the full check area before I even make it to the metal detectors...and every time was an exageration but it happens often and I fly often. My pops is a pilot out of Ohare and he has had the same stories with the nail clippers, his knife, etc etc being confiscated...I just can't comprehend the thought process of these screeners or the policy. Why in the world would you use nail clippers to take over an airplane you are already in control of? All a pilot has to do is point the aircraft down and thats that...he might have to overpower a FO but still......we need to ALLOW pilots to have knives or whatever else they want on board becuase hello they are the officers of the plane and are responsible for what happens...shouldn't they be able to defend the aircraft? I think its funny that my dad flew for 20 years (navy) and carried his 9mm yet it's a struggle for him to carry in the cockpit. Why can't captains carry the pistols on their side like cops A4? I mean flippin postal workers can carry pistols....what is going on? Safety today is all a "feeling" it's really not all that secure you just see all this action going on and its supposed to calm the dimwitted public. If I saw the captain of our plane come on board with a pistol holstered, then I'd feel cozy, your life is in his hands regardless...might as well arm him/her.

In response to that, we debated this somewhat hotly in my government class. My main argument against knowingly arming pilots was that if the would-be terrorists know where the weapons are, that presents a problem, especially when the weapons are guaranteed in the cockpit.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
firefriendly said:
Why can't captains carry the pistols on their side like cops A4? I mean flippin postal workers can carry pistols....what is going on? ....

Government bureaucrats and Airline management --- they do not want us to be armed. The FAM program is a joke and so are some of the Marshals. Some are very good, also, but there are just not enough and never will be --- impossible. I had to tell one of them to wear another shirt as his sidearm on his hip was "printing" through his choice of shirt -- a Polo shirt. Not good headwork.

It was a HARD fight to even get ALPA to go along with armed pilots -- in spite of the "official" line today --- remember, ALPA is AFL-CIO and politically anti-gun. ALPA's president originally said he opposed arming pilots and then, when apprised that 65%+ of his membership disagreed --- he changed his position. The FFDO program is still choking with politics and political correctness ... at the flying public's peril.

Airline management does not want ANYTHING that gives the Captain (or crew) more authority or "independence" . Their attitude is what has driven the Bush Administration to drag, delay, obfuscate, and divert -- and they saw firearms as an example of the Captain having more "authority". I guess they are nervous being around armed airline pilots ..... ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ THE BOTTOM LINE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
APSA.gif

HAD the 9/11 pilots had been armed, trained, and of a "protect the cockpit" mindset -- the horrors of that day would never have happened. The GOMERS would have picked a softer target ..... BELIEVE IT !!!

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ALPA is AFL-CIO? I thought you guys were a seperate entity and above the stupidity of your average union (I base the stupidity comment on the trouble the UAW gave the USMCR)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
skidkid said:
ALPA is AFL-CIO?

shim.gif
shim.gif
spacer.gif
breadcrumb.gif
alpalogo.gif
Home
spacer.gif
N The Air Line Pilots Association, International is the largest airline pilot union in the world. ALPA represents 64,000 pilots flying for 41 U.S. and Canadian airlines. It was founded in 1931 and is chartered by the AFL-CIO.

Status
Not open for further replies.