• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transitioning from one aircraft community to another during career

FSF17

pilot
Has anyone here done this recently? I see the NPC website still has a page for it, but couldn't find any board results.

BleedGreen

pilot
VT-28 had two helo bubbas transitioning to strike when I was there a month ago. They started their transition with an abbreviated T-34 syllabus.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I know an HSC-->VAQ, a VAW pilot-->VFA pilot, and a VFA WSO-->VFA pilot (x2). What do you wanna know?

FSF17

pilot
Just curious as to what the board is looking for IRT timing, FITREP performance, etc. With the way the past few O4 boards have been, it seems like transitioning during your shore tour might set up your timing so you leave without an EP and then get your second FOS before you finish your second fleet JO tour...

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
One of the takeaways from AIRLANT's postmortem of last year's O-4 board was that transition people were screwed without a lot of recourse.

jtmedli

pilot
One of the takeaways from AIRLANT's postmortem of last year's O-4 board was that transition people were screwed without a lot of recourse.

Hasn't that always pretty much been the way it is? Transferring throws you off the "golden path" and, compared to your buddies in your new community, you don't have any quals or experience.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hasn't that always pretty much been the way it is? Transferring throws you off the "golden path" and, compared to your buddies in your new community, you don't have any quals or experience.

I'd always heard that too, though I know a couple of bubbas who went to new communities and did well (or at least, they've done well to date). Both O-4s now with successful DH tours in their new communities under their belts. I don't exactly see how that screw you, though, as long as you get through your DH screen in your new bunch. When otherwise would you have occasion to "come up short" vs the guys who were born there?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Not always, maybe nowadays but isn't the past. Depending on the community you had just as much chance to advance as everyone else.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A successful transition is possible, I have done it - it is very much timing & personality dependent.

Timing- you have to transition early enough to build enough street cred. in your new community to get picked up for DH. In theory, your shot at O-4 was determined by your record prior to transition (recent board is the exception).

Personality- your new community had to accept you and let you compete. If they view you as fodder, there isn't anything you can do to overcome that.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Just curious as to what the board is looking for IRT timing, FITREP performance, etc. With the way the past few O4 boards have been, it seems like transitioning during your shore tour might set up your timing so you leave without an EP and then get your second FOS before you finish your second fleet JO tour...

A high EP fitrep in your fleet squadron and preferrably the ability to start the transition before you are on your shore tour. I put in for it 9 months in to my shore tour at the VT's and was told I was too late. A guy in my fleet squadron picked it up on his way out the door.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...If they view you as fodder, there isn't anything you can do to overcome that.

I could definitely see that happening. The Navy is the Land of the Self-Fulfilled Prophecy. "Well, LT Bongo knew he was screwing himself when he transitioned and there's no chance he'll screen for CO in our community, so I'm not going to waste the #1 EP on him."

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
A high EP fitrep in your fleet squadron and preferrably the ability to start the transition before you are on your shore tour. I put in for it 9 months in to my shore tour at the VT's and was told I was too late. A guy in my fleet squadron picked it up on his way out the door.

So you are stating that if you wait until your shore tour it is too late?
I wonder how easy it is to transition these days, I was looking at going VPs.