• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Trader Jon's - Pensacola

BravoBeach

pilot
Martin "Trader Jon" Weissman, owner and namesake of Trader Jon's Bar memorabilia has been transferred to the Pensacola museum. https://www.visitpensacola.com/directory/trader-jons/

"The collection salvaged from Trader Jon's was purchased by a Pensacola law firm and donated to the museum on Friday. It's said to be worth about $2 million."

Attachments

• photo_2023-07-16_16-03-51 (3).jpg
    photo_2023-07-16_16-03-51 (3).jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 40
  • photo_2023-07-16_16-03-51 (2).jpg
    photo_2023-07-16_16-03-51 (2).jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 41
  • photo_2023-07-16_16-03-51.jpg
    photo_2023-07-16_16-03-51.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 42
  • photo_2023-07-16_16-03-50 (5).jpg
    photo_2023-07-16_16-03-50 (5).jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 41
  • photo_2023-07-16_16-03-50 (4).jpg
    photo_2023-07-16_16-03-50 (4).jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 40
  • photo_2023-07-16_16-03-50 (3).jpg
    photo_2023-07-16_16-03-50 (3).jpg
    279 KB · Views: 39
  • photo_2023-07-16_16-03-50 (2).jpg
    photo_2023-07-16_16-03-50 (2).jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 37
  • photo_2023-07-16_16-03-50.jpg
    photo_2023-07-16_16-03-50.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Fallonflyr

pilot
Awesome, great memories of that bar. My wife of 40 years and I still laugh when we think back on nights of drinking and dancing at Traders.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Man, I worked the NAS Pensacola airshow as a brand-new Ensign. Long day on my feet in the sun, totally beat, buddy calls up and says "hey, we're going to Trader's. Want to come?" Meh. Tired. Sleep. No.

Didn't realize it was the closing night or close to it. :( Wasn't the original ownership, but I believe it was an aviator and his wife who made a go of running it in the early 2000s, but it didn't work.

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
First time I'm hearing of Traders, damn I feel like I missed out. Edit: I realized now that it closed back in the late 90's.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
First time I'm hearing of Traders, damn I feel like I missed out. Edit: I realized now that it closed back in the late 90's.
It closed for the first time when the eponymous Jon died. His family sold it to a Navy IP and his wife. I was in flight school during that era and spent a few Friday nights there. They made a good go at it but I think it was too big a concern to be run as a side hustle.

There have been rumors for most of the last 20 years of sending the memorabilia to the Naval Aviation Museum and opening a second restaurant/bar venue along the lines of Cubi Point, but I guess it never came to fruition.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I went a few times when Jon was still around…what a place…but then again that was a very different world for naval aviation. Among his numerous talents was his personal knowledge of his collection. He always said he knew exactly where everything was by name of the giver. This included photographs. Well, I tested him and said my father had been there with his reserve squadron back in the late 60’s and gave his name. Believe it or not, Jon said “follow me” and pointed out the picture!

I’m glad the collection found a home.

HuggyU2

None
This is great news. The treasures that were in Trader's are an irreplaceable part of Naval Aviation.

First time I went there was around June 1995. Place was quiet and I got to meet and talk to Jon. I was pretty blown away by all of the stuff in there and just walked around and soaked it up. I recall from that night that he never wore a matching pair of socks, and if you ever caught him with a matching pair, you got something (free beer... I can't recall what the prize was).

The last time I was there was the Blues' end of season show in Nov 2000, after the Navy Lieutenant and his wife opened it. The Blues Annex was open we had a great time. They wouldn't sell us beer after whatever time, so I went down to a liquor store that was still open and bought a bunch of cans and brought them back. They were very cool and let us stay there for quite a while, and even a couple of the Blues hung out with us until the wee hours. It was an epic night.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There have been rumors for most of the last 20 years of sending the memorabilia to the Naval Aviation Museum and opening a second restaurant/bar venue along the lines of Cubi Point, but I guess it never came to fruition.
There’s probably only enough room in that place for one historic restaurant anyway. But at least someone got the collection to display somehow.

Edit: for those initially confused as I was, it looks like the Trader’s exhibit is in the civilian museum downtown, not the Naval Aviation Museum on base.

Last edited:

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
First time for me was in '76 when I was in AOCS. There were dancers then. ? Always went there whenever I was back in town after that. Last time was the late '80's time frame when I was in town for an A-4 NATOPS conference. Much more quiet then, but still fun. Looking at all the memorabilia never got old.

BravoBeach

pilot
First time for me was in '76 when I was in AOCS. There were dancers then. ? Always went there whenever I was back in town after that. Last time was the late '80's time frame when I was in town for an A-4 NATOPS conference. Much more quiet then, but still fun. Looking at all the memorabilia never got old.
I have seen it mentioned numberous times that there were 'dancers' at Jon's in the 1970's. What type? GoGo?