• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tracking Jets as an old dude

OptionsDollaraire

Hi all,

I closely monitor this site and Flyingsquadron (AF equivalent). On flyingsquadron, lots of the experienced jets guys tell tale after tale of old dudes (28+) not being able to hack jets pretty much because of their age and being too old. Is this also the same thought on the Navy side?

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
Plenty of “old” dudes tracking jets. Age isn’t really a factor as long as you commission by the cutoff age of 32.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
28 isn't really that old, though a bit older than some of the mk1 mod 0 non-prior ENSs of course. I think the biggest potential pitfall of being a somewhat "older" student is that some tend to not really socialize with their "younger" classmates, and some just have an attitude problem in general (i.e. with instructors). The socializing is important because you really learn in flight school as a group. Not talking obnoxious group study sessions, or even after hours stuff necessarily (although I think that part is important too), but the gouge exchange is priceless. The folks that miss out on that often have an uphill battle. Anyway, I currently still fly grey jets at age 39, and while some of the grey has rubbed off onto hairs on the sides of my head, I have no problem doing so, physically, mentally, or otherwise.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
28 isn't really that old, though a bit older than some of the mk1 mod 0 non-prior ENSs of course. I think the biggest potential pitfall of being a somewhat "older" student is that some tend to not really socialize with their "younger" classmates, and some just have an attitude problem in general (i.e. with instructors). The socializing is important because you really learn in flight school as a group. Not talking obnoxious group study sessions, or even after hours stuff necessarily (although I think that part is important too), but the gouge exchange is priceless. The folks that miss out on that often have an uphill battle. Anyway, I currently still fly grey jets at age 39, and while some of the grey has rubbed off onto hairs on the sides of my head, I have no problem doing so, physically, mentally, or otherwise.
Dude, when did you get so old? ?

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Hi all,
I closely monitor this site and Flyingsquadron (AF equivalent). On flyingsquadron, lots of the experienced jets guys tell tale after tale of old dudes (28+) not being able to hack jets pretty much because of their age and being too old. Is this also the same thought on the Navy side?
I laughed so hard I pissed and sharted myself, because, you know, that's what old guys do!

I don't fly jets, but I am still flying Black Hawks and I am just shy of 59 years old. I do try to get my copilot to do the top of the aircraft on preflight, but that is more laziness than anything else. We don't pull Gs, but we (Black Hawks, not Seahawks) do a LOT of flying at low altitude without AC. It is brutal in a different way.

So yes, you can fly well past 28 yo, and even go through training for a new aircraft & service at over 40 yo.

OptionsDollaraire

Hmm, maybe it’s a cultural thing, or maybe it’s just a few loud fighter pilots who are adamant about not wanting older guys not winged in their squadron. Encouraging though to get it from the source that us not yet commissioned (oldies) still have a fighting chance to shoot for tail hook!

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
I flew A-4's in the adversary role up until I retired at the age of 44. Admittedly, it was a very basic, non-technical platform, but the mission did require physicality from the pilots. All of our pilots in our squadron were reservists, having served previously with fleet squadrons, and most were well into their 30's and 40's. Oftentimes, we would fly 3 sorties a day when on detachment, and these sorties were much more than just boring holes in the sky. And I'm pretty sure if you asked the younger guys from that era that fought against us, they'll tell you those old farts in their antique airframes were not to be taken lightly. But I've been away from the service for some time now and times have changed.

OptionsDollaraire

I mean I’m understanding that older dudes already in jets are able to perform. But the scenario in question is an untrained old dude (28+) has trouble tracking fighters in pilot training. In other words they have trouble learning at that age compared to the young (22-27). If that makes sense to anyone? This is pretty much straight from flying squadron (Baseops)

Astro_Rekt

I turn 33 next week, and am a non-prior in Kingsville right now. Sometimes I forget how old I am because of how often I'm surrounded by younger people and taking part in that lifestyle, which probably really helps. I ran into the same mindset when I reached out to guard units before commissioning in the Navy; they don't really pick older people because the lifestyle or something... I figured if I had to gamble with AD to get the airframe I wanted, it was worth it.

Sonog

pilot
Hi all,

I laughed so hard I pissed and sharted myself, because, you know, that's what old guys do!

I don't fly jets, but I am still flying Black Hawks and I am just shy of 59 years old. I do try to get my copilot to do the top of the aircraft on preflight, but that is more laziness than anything else. We don't pull Gs, but we (Black Hawks, not Seahawks) do a LOT of flying at low altitude without AC. It is brutal in a different way.

So yes, you can fly well past 28 yo, and even go through training for a new aircraft & service at over 40 yo.

You're telling us Seahawk pilots don't know the pain of flying low altitude without AC?

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
I mean I’m understanding that older dudes already in jets are able to perform. But the scenario in question is an untrained old dude (28+) has trouble tracking fighters in pilot training. In other words they have trouble learning at that age compared to the young (22-27). If that makes sense to anyone? This is pretty much straight from flying squadron (Baseops)
My first flight ever was in a T-34C eight days shy of my 28th birthday. I ended up flying two tours in F/A-18s and T-45s. I guess I did ok as an "old dude". I wouldn't stress, just put in the work.

S/F

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Again, I think the issue they (baseops) are probably talking about is attitude, whether they say it explicitly, or even understand why. Everything in training is about attitude. The folks who go into flight school with an attitude of knowing it all, or just being tired of being a full time student again, don't fare well. Not saying older students commonly have those attitudes, but I think a lot of folks trend in that direction as they age, some sooner than others.

FlightEngineerBobby

SNA Applicant (ISPP)
I’ve been watching this thread quietly for a while. I’m applying for pilot at the ripe old age of 30 in hopes to fly something fun. While I’m not dead set on jets, I wouldn’t turn them down if the opportunity arose. As for young vs. old pilots performing well; I’m not sure age is a factor until your reallllyyyy old.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Supposedly I’ve heard that this is one reason the NAMI psychs set the age limits where they did. After a certain age, if you’ve never done it before, the things you have to do to learn to fly jets apparently go from “holy shit, this is fun” to “you want me to take this aircraft and do WHAT?”

But as I recall what I heard, if you’re within limits, there‘s not really a difference; it’s just that apparently the attrition rate skyrocketed after those ages. And obviously once you build the experience base, you’re an old dude who’s possibly less bold now, but you know how to do your job.

But I’m not a shrink and have no idea what their data looks like, so the above is basically RUMINT.